Your Photos

Most of the guys I worked with (pre computer days) were hunt-and-peck typists.

There used to be an old slightly-inappropriate joke: "You type like the old widow woman, a hunt-n-pecker (a-huntin' pecker)!"

I would disagree, though, with being a prankster. I detest pranks, for the most part, as they're always meant to make someone look stupid, guised as a "joke." I don't find them funny at all.

Any time I ever pranked anyone, it was to get back at (and be just serious enough to stop) another prankster. The letter-switching, for example, was done right before performance feedback time, to a fellow office admin who enjoyed doing things like breaking into your car during the day, pulling the plug wires, leaving you stranded...until the next day. A few typos on a letter might not seem a big deal, but when that's your main job, a bunch of mistakes on correspondence from the squadron commander can be damning.
I apologize for using the word prankster. I am very much like you in that regard. I have never understood the point in hurting people in that way. I am probably the only person that didn't love "America's Funniest Videos". I couldn't stand to watch people fall or trip or anything that caused pain. I always wondered "Who the heck is recording that and laughing about it?"

And, in the positions you described, I would want to get back at someone also. I'm a bit too forgiving though so I've rarely done it.

Well I do enjoy pranks 😄 Google chrome has an extension that turns all images on your laptop into a photo of Nicholas Cage. Years ago I turned that into a hype in my office. One of the colleagues I pranked thought her laptop had a virus and went into helpdesk in a panic. Helpdesk thought it was hysterical and I did too 😂 they were surprised I was the prankster.

Usually, when we were the office and someone left a laptop open, someone would go into their email and send an email to everyone inviting them for paid lunch at a fancy restaurant.

Well I do enjoy pranks 😄 Google chrome has an extension that turns all images on your laptop into a photo of Nicholas Cage. Years ago I turned that into a hype in my office. One of the colleagues I pranked thought her laptop had a virus and went into helpdesk in a panic. Helpdesk thought it was hysterical and I did too 😂 they were surprised I was the prankster.

Usually, when we were the office and someone left a laptop open, someone would go into their email and send an email to everyone inviting them for paid lunch at a fancy restaurant.
I don't mind pranks when nobody gets hurt. I've had co-workers go into my purse, make it where I would fall (unscrewed my chair) or did mean chants in the ladies' room and other things that I felt crossed my boundaries. My family is the same way toward me. I think that's why I'm empathetic toward others. I know what it's like to be left out and targeted.

I apologize for using the word prankster. I am very much like you in that regard. I have never understood the point in hurting people in that way. I am probably the only person that didn't love "America's Funniest Videos". I couldn't stand to watch people fall or trip or anything that caused pain. I always wondered "Who the heck is recording that and laughing about it?"

And, in the positions you described, I would want to get back at someone also. I'm a bit too forgiving though so I've rarely done it.
No need to apologize at all. I'm also another one who doesn't like AFV for the most part, especially the pranks. I like some of the funny animal videos, but even the animal videos, if you're paying attention, a lot of the times, they're in distress, not enjoying what everyone else is laughing at.

I will admit, though, that if someone is on there horsing around, doing something they shouldn't be doing, and they fall down a flight of stairs or off the porch, I'll laugh at that, because they had it coming. If I'm smart enough to not get drunk and ride a laundry basket down the stairs, then that guy should be, too, and if he's not...I'm going to laugh at his dumb butt and ask him, while he's lying in a crumpled lump at the bottom of the steps, "So what did you just learn, hmmmm?" :laugh:

We had one office prankster (I usually say prickster, but this is a family forum :laugh: who got so bad, a few of us finally had to drag him outside and explain that the next prank was going to be "Watch Jim Pick His Teeth Up Off The Ground." - I shouldn't laugh, but his wife was, well, to say she was fugly would be charitable, and he was always going on about how hot and sexy his wife was, how she was like a supermodel, and how wild she was behind closed doors, so to speak...come to find out, she'd been poking a doctor on base and was part of a secret swingers' group...that he knew nothing about. Again, shouldn't laugh, but we all did. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
Most of the guys I worked with (pre computer days) were hunt-and-peck typists.

There used to be an old slightly-inappropriate joke: "You type like the old widow woman, a hunt-n-pecker (a-huntin' pecker)!"

I would disagree, though, with being a prankster. I detest pranks, for the most part, as they're always meant to make someone look stupid, guised as a "joke." I don't find them funny at all.

Any time I ever pranked anyone, it was to get back at (and be just serious enough to stop) another prankster. The letter-switching, for example, was done right before performance feedback time, to a fellow office admin who enjoyed doing things like breaking into your car during the day, pulling the plug wires, leaving you stranded...until the next day. A few typos on a letter might not seem a big deal, but when that's your main job, a bunch of mistakes on correspondence from the squadron commander can be damning.
Different settings, different level of pranks. Did you never get your locker upended?

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
Different settings, different level of pranks. Did you never get your locker upended?
No, not at all, but then in the USAF in the '80's-'90's, we never had portable foot lockers (assuming that's what you mean) - any lockers in any standard quarters were built-in wall lockers, about the size of a wardrobe. No flipping one of those. :laugh:

One practical joke my brother warned me about: keep in mind, he went through basic training in the mid-1970's, and I went through 10 years later, and the same jokes were still being played.

It was referred to as a "power sit-up," and you'd be enticed into participating as a way to prove your manliness and strength.

The victim would get down in the sit-up position, and allow another guy to fold a towel a couple of times lengthwise, then place it across the victim's forehead, slyly making sure it also acted as a blindfold.

The idea was, while the target of the prank attempted to do a sit-up, the towel guy would hold him back as best as he could - a power sit-up, if you will.

The prank portion was that, once the fellow on the floor started struggling against the towel, a third participant would bare his butt directly over the the victim's face, and then the towel guy would suddenly let the towel go, and...SLAM!...face, meet butthole.

Sure enough, about three weeks into basic training, some of the more popular guys suggested some of the other, more smaller/quieter guys might like to take part in some after-hours exercises to help them get in better shape for the PT we had to do every day, like power sit-ups.

Uh-huh...I quietly passed it on to a couple of the potential targets to maybe give that a miss.

No, not at all, but then in the USAF in the '80's-'90's, we never had portable foot lockers (assuming that's what you mean) - any lockers in any standard quarters were built-in wall lockers, about the size of a wardrobe. No flipping one of those. :laugh:

One practical joke my brother warned me about: keep in mind, he went through basic training in the mid-1970's, and I went through 10 years later, and the same jokes were still being played.

It was referred to as a "power sit-up," and you'd be enticed into participating as a way to prove your manliness and strength.

The victim would get down in the sit-up position, and allow another guy to fold a towel a couple of times lengthwise, then place it across the victim's forehead, slyly making sure it also acted as a blindfold.

The idea was, while the target of the prank attempted to do a sit-up, the towel guy would hold him back as best as he could - a power sit-up, if you will.

The prank portion was that, once the fellow on the floor started struggling against the towel, a third participant would bare his butt directly over the the victim's face, and then the towel guy would suddenly let the towel go, and...SLAM!...face, meet butthole.

Sure enough, about three weeks into basic training, some of the more popular guys suggested some of the other, more smaller/quieter guys might like to take part in some after-hours exercises to help them get in better shape for the PT we had to do every day, like power sit-ups.

Uh-huh...I quietly passed it on to a couple of the potential targets to maybe give that a miss.
I love it. How did we miss that? :laugh:

When I was studying my AL exam I had no private tuition money. So I had an agreement with a popular teacher: I would write his notes and he would teach me free. One day he sent me to see if his typewriter is repaired. And the repair guy's name was Omelette. I don't know if he wrote it like that but it sounded like that. First I thought it was a prank of the teacher. But I went there and found that his name was Omelette for real.
I know this is unrelated but I couldn't help but telling.

First or last name?

You would get on with my son, we are a family of pranksters, my son used to do stuff at work, he changed keys on my computer keyboard. I kept typing wrong stuff. Lol. Took a while to work it out. Another time he used my e mail to go on a Russian dating site. He used a picture of a doctor as my profile. Got e mails for years.
Mind you he learnt from the best. One time we checked into a motel 30 years ago, the guy was a grumpy &$@& . He was also working in the garden. I used my mobile phone to ring the motel, he would run and answer the phone, but I hung up just before he got there. We amused ourselves for a half hour.

Russ

You would get on with my son, we are a family of pranksters, my son used to do stuff at work, he changed keys on my computer keyboard. I kept typing wrong stuff. Lol. Took a while to work it out. Another time he used my e mail to go on a Russian dating site. He used a picture of a doctor as my profile. Got e mails for years.
Mind you he learnt from the best. One time we checked into a motel 30 years ago, the guy was a grumpy &$@& . He was also working in the garden. I used my mobile phone to ring the motel, he would run and answer the phone, but I hung up just before he got there. We amused ourselves for a half hour.

Russ
I got this from my dad, he's a big prankster. Used to get into my room and pull my feet under the covers or make noises at the bedroom door when I went to bed. I have an epic story where he tied one of my baby brothers toys with fishing line, hid the toy in my room and pulled the fishing line from his room and the toy made noises in my room while I was trying to sleep. My mom hated his night pranks, I couldn't sleep and I wouldn't let anybody sleep either 😂

I got this from my dad, he's a big prankster. Used to get into my room and pull my feet under the covers or make noises at the bedroom door when I went to bed. I have an epic story where he tied one of my baby brothers toys with fishing line, hid the toy in my room and pulled the fishing line from his room and the toy made noises in my room while I was trying to sleep. My mom hated his night pranks, I couldn't sleep and I wouldn't let anybody sleep either 😂

i would have hated that as a kid,lol.

Russ

Hey all, glad to see a photo thread. new here, but food and photography are my jam.

Here's one form tonight's ride down 66, Manassas Battlefield

DSC_7612.jpg

Back
Top Bottom