Arancini balls 2nd attempt

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:27 PM
So I have in my head what I need to do so I tried 1 in my kitchen yesterday.
1 I used jasmine rice
2 I burnt shallots
3 thr cheese melted into nothing
Utter failure but I'm not giving up.

2nd attempt today.first 2 things went to plan.filling went to plan. I'm about to make a ball and cool for an hour then egg and crumbs. I'll let you know how I go.its my wifes fave entree.

Russ

So I have in my head what I need to do so I tried 1 in my kitchen yesterday.
1 I used jasmine rice
2 I burnt shallots
3 thr cheese melted into nothing
Utter failure but I'm not giving up.

2nd attempt today.first 2 things went to plan.filling went to plan. I'm about to make a ball and cool for an hour then egg and crumbs. I'll let you know how I go.its my wifes fave entree.

Russ

Jasmine a long grain rice. I think you need a short grain, starchy rice. You are starting with risotto.

Also, I think you need to let the rice/risotto get cool before you make the balls. The boudin balls I make here have to start with cool boudin right out of the fridge, or they fall apart. I keep them cool until I'm ready to bread them and fry them.

The cheese probably needs to be low moisture, and very cold. Otherwise, it will all ooze out when you fry the balls.

CD

Jasmine a long grain rice. I think you need a short grain, starchy rice. You are starting with risotto.

Also, I think you need to let the rice/risotto get cool before you make the balls. The boudin balls I make here have to start with cool boudin right out of the fridge, or they fall apart. I keep them cool until I'm ready to bread them and fry them.

The cheese probably needs to be low moisture, and very cold. Otherwise, it will all ooze out when you fry the balls.

CD

Ok you are right . I didn't let the rice cool yesterday. It went together well but the cheese I used was gouda. Too hard!! It didn't melt. So I'm trying mozzarella tomorrow it should fix it ??? I'm 90 % there???
The jasmine is my go to rice and I didnt even think about arborio. We have 3 bags of arborio in the pantry.
Nuts.

Russ

Ok you are right . I didn't let the rice cool yesterday. It went together well but the cheese I used was gouda. Too hard!! It didn't melt. So I'm trying mozzarella tomorrow it should fix it ??? I'm 90 % there???
The jasmine is my go to rice and I didnt even think about arborio. We have 3 bags of arborio in the pantry.
Nuts.

Russ

Yeah, jasmine isn't starchy enough. Arborio should work much better.

CD

You can make it work with jasmine rice, when you add a few spoons of starch. About one spoon per 200g of cooked rice.
If there're still problems, with the balls falling apart, freeze them after the coating

Arancini are Sicilian favourites, made with leftover risotto. A risotto is (or should be) creamy because of the starch in the rice, so Arborio or Carnaroli fit the bill.
Stuff them with minced meat, or mozz or meat and peas, but only a little bit of filling. If you overstuff , then the arancini will split and fall apart.

Everybody loves arancini. We have them on our menu in case you rent the whole restaurant and you need a banquet... have done hundreds of them and the guests left not one single piece

I need persuading. For some reason I've never liked the idea of rice deep fried in balls.
But you don't like risotto to begin with if I remember correctly.

I like 1 or 2 bite arrancini, not so much the bigger ones, tennis ball size, like some places here make. What's not to like... creamy rice, stringy, melty cheese in a crunchy exterior?

Back
Top Bottom