Are egg cups still popular?

I just thought they were what every one who ate boiled eggs and soldiers used,!
And owned ,at work we always loose them in storage so we store them in the fridge

Just had a look at a catering supplier I use on their web site ,they even do different sizes,for different sized eggs 60mm and 68 mm

How else can you eat a soft boiled egg ? If you just chop it up you might as well just put it between two slices of bread and create an egg butty/banjo [that's sandwich to those who don't know]

I can't eat runny yolks, but I remember when I was a child, my father ate soft-boiled eggs almost every morning. He didn't use an egg cup though. He would shell the egg and then put it in a small bowl. Then he would sort of chop it up with a spoon. Many a morning I was awoken by the sound of my Dad chopping his eggs in the kitchen.

What is your aversion to runny yolks? I like your Dad's iidea of chopping them up. I used to do that for my kids when they were younger. It was called 'eggy in a cup'. The soft boiled shelled egg was chopped and mixed with little cubes of buttered white sliced bread in a mug. Add a little white pepper (and salt for me). They loved it.

I see some of them in my mom's kitchen when I was little but I am not sure then what is the use of an egg cup I did not even know their name. We never got to use them anyway. But I do appreciate seeing and talking about them here I am learning a few things every I visit this forum. I think they are a nice addition to a dinner table set up

I see some of them in my mom's kitchen when I was little but I am not sure then what is the use of an egg cup I did not even know their name. We never got to use them anyway. But I do appreciate seeing and talking about them here I am learning a few things every I visit this forum. I think they are a nice addition to a dinner table set up
Its really amazing to us Brits that many American's don't know what egg cups are for and have never used them. Here they are as well known as a tea cup and almost everyone has them (except @SatNavSaysStraightOn!). Even if they don't have any they would certainly know what they were. Here they are very collectable and there are many beautiful old examples as well as quirky fun designs. An egg cup collector is called a Pocillovist. The earliest egg cup found was in the ruins of Pompeii, dating 79AD. Its a mystery how they never became popular in America and yet in England and parts of Europe they are so 'every day'.

My grandparents had these when we were younger, but I haven't seem then in any stores for decades now. I would love to get a set of these though since it's really easy for me to make perfect soft boiled eggs in my electric food steamer, because it's so accurate and steams instantly. I tried soft boiled eggs a few times at my grandparents house, and I enjoyed them, but my parents never had any of the equipment to eat them properly at our house, so we never made them. Also, I was kind of intimidated on cutting the top of the egg off properly. As a matter of fact, one of the other things that sparked my interest in soft boiled eggs was an episode of America's Test Kitchen from not too long ago where they tested out several soft boiled egg shell cutters. They're pretty clever in how they work - they have a suction cup which adheres to the top of the egg, then a small blade goes around the egg and scores it, causing it to break free cleanly. In addition to the egg cup, and this cutter device, I would probably also have to make sure I have spoons small enough to get into the egg shell. Perhaps this upcoming Christmas I'll start dropping some hints to my family that I would love to have all of these as gifts, lol.

What is your aversion to runny yolks? I like your Dad's iidea of chopping them up. I used to do that for my kids when they were younger. It was called 'eggy in a cup'. The soft boiled shelled egg was chopped and mixed with little cubes of buttered white sliced bread in a mug. Add a little white pepper (and salt for me). They loved it.
I don't know why I can't abide runny yolks. When I see other people eating them, dipping their toast in them, it looks as if it would taste good. But when I try to eat eggs with runny yolks, my throat closes up and I gag. I've had that reaction since I was a child.

Its really amazing to us Brits that many American's don't know what egg cups are for and have never used them. Here they are as well known as a tea cup and almost everyone has them (except @SatNavSaysStraightOn!). Even if they don't have any they would certainly know what they were. Here they are very collectable and there are many beautiful old examples as well as quirky fun designs. An egg cup collector is called a Pocillovist. The earliest egg cup found was in the ruins of Pompeii, dating 79AD. Its a mystery how they never became popular in America and yet in England and parts of Europe they are so 'every day'.
I know what egg cups are. They are quite elegant and most of the ones I've seen (in thrift stores) are lovely. No one in my family ever used them, though. I don't know why. I do agree that most Americans don't know what they are or how to use them. In fact, other than my father, I don't think I've even ever seen anyone else eat a softboiled egg. In restaurants, one's choices are usually fried (over easy, over medium, or my favorite, over hard) or scrambled. Maybe it's convenience or (heaven forbid) laziness. So much easier to dig into an order of eggs on the plate than to delicately slice the top off the egg in a cup. I really don't know.

My grandparents had these when we were younger, but I haven't seem then in any stores for decades now. I would love to get a set of these though since it's really easy for me to make perfect soft boiled eggs in my electric food steamer, because it's so accurate and steams instantly. I tried soft boiled eggs a few times at my grandparents house, and I enjoyed them, but my parents never had any of the equipment to eat them properly at our house, so we never made them. Also, I was kind of intimidated on cutting the top of the egg off properly. As a matter of fact, one of the other things that sparked my interest in soft boiled eggs was an episode of America's Test Kitchen from not too long ago where they tested out several soft boiled egg shell cutters. They're pretty clever in how they work - they have a suction cup which adheres to the top of the egg, then a small blade goes around the egg and scores it, causing it to break free cleanly. In addition to the egg cup, and this cutter device, I would probably also have to make sure I have spoons small enough to get into the egg shell. Perhaps this upcoming Christmas I'll start dropping some hints to my family that I would love to have all of these as gifts, lol.

We had boiled egg and soldiers when we were kids and my husband and I still do, we have egg cups. Just tap the top of the egg to crack the shell then use your spoon/fingers to remove some of the shell to get at the egg, why cut the top off? no need, you just lose some of your egg that way. Another tip, when it comes out of the pan gently roll it on a board to break the shell, makes peeling so much easier.

Another tip, when it comes out of the pan gently roll it on a board to break the shell
but that spoils all the fun. We have great fun cracking open the egg with a knife and taking the top off in one go... :whistling:
why cut the top off? no need, you just lose some of your egg that way
You take the piece that has been cut off and use the teaspoon to extract the cooked white so that none is lost.

I love using my egg cups. My husband bought me some for Christmas. We love using them on the weekend. I'll make soft boiled eggs and toast. I butter the toast and but them into finger size slices so that they can be dunked into the eggs which are sitting in the egg cups. My family loves eggs this way!

Back
Top Bottom