Are egg cups still popular?

I love using my egg cups. My husband bought me some for Christmas. We love using them on the weekend. I'll make soft boiled eggs and toast. I butter the toast and but them into finger size slices so that they can be dunked into the eggs which are sitting in the egg cups. My family loves eggs this way!

Toast with boiled eggs seems to be a common theme on here, we never toast the bread much prefer it as it is.

Toast with boiled eggs seems to be a common theme on here, we never toast the bread much prefer it as it is.
Me too. Soft white buttered fingers. I can understand the toast thing, though: the crispy toast contrasting with the unctuous soft egg yolk. But, on balance, I prefer the velvety softness of the dunked white bread fingers. I could go on...

No no and no again toasted soldiers for dipping in boiled eggs, I could not imagine any thing else
I think we should close this thread before the food police come,
Un toasted bread what next
:laugh:

Now let's go up market forget the bread and the toast we do asparagus plain or wrapped in Serrano ham in season dipped in soft boiled eggs
:chef:

Now let's go up market forget the bread and the toast we do asparagus plain or wrapped in Serrano ham in season dipped in soft boiled eggs

What is the hype about asparagus, I have tried it many times and to be honest it is bland, no flavour at all, is that why you wrap gorgeous ham around it, for flavour. We have cooked it at home and tried it in poncey restaurants, sorry no interest :headshake:

Or how about crispy fried pig ear strips with soft boiled duck's egg. Boil pigs ears until soft (approx 3 hours), weight them, cool, cut in strips, coat in flour, beaten egg, panko. Deep fry.

crispy pig.jpg

What is the hype about asparagus, I have tried it many times and to be honest it is bland, no flavour at all, is that why you wrap gorgeous ham around it, for flavour. We have cooked it at home and tried it in poncey restaurants, sorry no interest :headshake:

Sacrilige! Asparagus has an amazing taste - not quite like anything else. I have to conclude that you haven't eaten it young, fresh and properly cooked. It has to be fresh, green and preferably British and not over-cooked. It has a subtle sweet sulphurous taste with a rich nuttiness, quite unlike anything else. It sulphurous taste means that it pairs well with other sulphurous foods such as eggs and crustaceans. It also tastes sublime with Sarrano or Proscuitto ham wrapped around it - if you wrap the ham round the hot asparagus, the ham starts to release fat and produces a tangy, slightly salty contrast to the sweet asparagus. Mmm... :D

Last edited:
Sacrilige! Aspragus has an amazing taste - not quite like anything else. I have to conclude that you haven't eaten it young, fresh and properly cooked. It has to be fresh, green and preferably British and not over-cooked. It has a subtle sweet sulphurous taste with a rich nuttiness, quite unlike anything else. It sulphurous taste means that it pairs well with other sulphurous foods such as eggs and crustaceans. It also tastes sublime with Sarrano or Proscuitto ham wrapped around it - if you wrap the ham round the hot asparagus, the ham starts to release fat and produces a tangy, slightly salty contrast to the sweet asparagus. Mmm... :D

Ham wrapped around goats cheese :hungry:

Or how about crispy fried pig ear strips with soft boiled duck's egg. Boil pigs ears until soft (approx 3 hours), weight them, cool, cut in strips, coat in flour, beaten egg, panko. Deep fry.

View attachment 1392
Breaded pigs ears are still rendered cartridge how ever you look at it,
I do them when we boil heads for the cheeks ,cut the ears in slices brush in Dijon and bread crumb ,but it's more style and no substance ,good garnish

They are much harder to source than they used to be but personally I love using egg cups as they make me nostalgic about my childhood ha ha. Plus, there are so many cute designs available.

Back
Top Bottom