Are microwaves even worth it anymore?

I find my microwave handy, for those days where I'm short of time and want a hot meal without having to use my oven. I tend to use my microwave to cook Uncle Ben's rice (like Sandra), popcorn (for a semi healthy snack) and soup. I'll also use my microwave to reheat leftovers, as I'll often make bulk meals like vegetarian lasagne, ravioli, stir fry or curry. If I cooked for other people, I'd probably use the microwave less frequently but cooking for one, I use mine on a frequent basis.

I use mine mainly to defrost meats, make popcorn or reheat some left overs. I find reheating some items just tastes better in the oven, even if it does take longer.

I use mine mainly to defrost meats, make popcorn or reheat some left overs. I find reheating some items just tastes better in the oven, even if it does take longer.
Yes reheating in the oven or on a frying pan usually does taste better, but it's nearly not as quick and hassle free as the microwave.

Microwaves are more convenient for reheating stuff. If I had leftover lasagna for example, I wouldn't want to heat up a whole oven just to warm it up, then wait like 30 minutes.

There are however, some things I would previously use a microwave for that I use other appliances for these days. For example, for steaming vegetables or meats, I prefer to use my electric food steamer. You don't have to worry about them becoming chewy and rubbery, and they cook much more evenly. Plus the steam doesn't destroy the nutrients like a microwave can do. I've also been using my broiler a lot more to do stuff like melt cheese on sandwiches.

A few years ago my microwave broke. I didn't have the money to get a new one right away. I started warming up my food the old fashioned way. I think the food taste better that way so I never did replace my microwave.

I never really did use the microwave for any major cooking. I just used it to heat up food. I don't think I could ever go back to using a microwave.

I use my microwave a lot -- especially for frozen foods when I don't have time to cook. Amy's meals are very tasty.

You know, I rarely use my microwave for cooking... although I do still use it quite a bit for warming things up, especially things like water for tea. I'm really not so sure I would want to live without a microwave around, although I could probably get used to it if I had to.

In my opinion the microwave is a must have kitchen gadget, and I know couldn't live without mine.

I have to admit that I am not a great fan of microwave meals, in fact I never eat them, but my microwave is used on a daily basis. I have a bacon salad for lunch every day and I cook the bacon by zapping it in the microwave for a few minutes. This method of cooking bacon is quick, convenient and makes little mess, and the bacon tastes delicious out of the microwave.

I also use my microwave to make jacket potatoes in quick time, where I cook the potatoes in the microwave to cook before putting them in the oven to crisp up. Cooked in this way the jacket potatoes are light and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside, just how a jacket potato should be.

I have to admit that I do prefer to defrost food by leaving it out of the freezer instead of the microwave but there are times when I forget to get the food out of the freezer in time and end up having to defrost it quickly in the microwave. If I din't have a microwave in these situations I would struggle somewhat.

You know, to me having a microwave was always one of the most essential things, aside from the fridge. But mine broke around 3 or 4 months ago, and I still didn't get a new one, and I'm doing just fine without one! I will get another eventually, just because I do use it for some things (like for frozen meals), but I was surprised to noticed I don't miss it as I thought I would!

We do not use microwave because we only cook the right amount of food per meal so we do not have leftover foods most of the time so there is no need for reheating. And if we want to heat something we do it right away in the stove. And one thing right now we do practice to cut down our expenses especially our electric bill that is why we try to avoid using some electric gadgets we had at home.

I try not to use the microwave anymore. I used it plenty as a teen and a kid, but now I realize how useless it is. I just break out a pan and reheat on the stove. My food tastes better that way and I know it's better for me in the long run.

I know it's better for me in the long run.

Why?

We've used a microwave since 1980 for;

cooking vegetables - faster, no steam, no water to take the taste away

defrosting bread - have baked my own bread for over 30 years , freeze it as there's only 2 of us and defrost as required

scrambled eggs - quick, only need to stir once or twice

As for actual cooking of meals, meat, fish etc - forget it :wink:

My family has one but I don't use it. I don't see the point, unless you are in a rush. you don't need one. Food tastes better when it's not done in there too. And also whenever I made a hot chocolate in there it would get a skin, eurgh.

I still use my microwave a lot, especially for reheating fast food like hamburgers or Chinese takeout. I agree that the heat it provides is not always that even, but it does the job and it eliminates the need for me to wash additional pots and pans often.

Also, I like using it particularly in tandem with the oven as it's not always advisable to heat food in the oven straight from the fridge since it won't always heat all the way to the middle without almost burning the outside first due to the food starting from a cold state, so I usually just microwave the food for a few seconds first before popping it into the oven. That way, I get the best of both worlds, in that I get to heat food quickly and efficiently without drying it out in either the oven or the microwave.

I used to use them a lot but after reading all kinds of reports and articles about them I use them very rarely nowadays. I use them to reheat food from the refrigerator but that's about it. I also notice that it tends to dry our meat, seafood and vegetables.

A seafood paella that I reheated as an experiment became a terrible wobbly, rubbery mess.

Back
Top Bottom