Breakfast Cereal Discussion

Jade

Veteran
Local time
12:23 AM
I don't usually eat breakfast cereals, but I try out some different brands of it from time to time and I also do still have my favorites. I recently tried out a new cereal and it tasted like chemicals/medicine. Not to mention they were so brightly colored that I started to wonder if I should start worrying about that as well. I usually prefer the really sweet ones like chocolate flavored or honey coated ones, but the plain ones like non-sweetened corn flakes - which I assume are the healthiest, unfortunately, just don't appeal to me.

Another favorite of mine are rice crispies, but only in the marshmallow bar form and I've only tried making it for myself once and it ended up sticking to everything so I eventually decided to just buy them packaged since they are already available anyway.

Do you like breakfast cereals? Do you eat it mostly for health or taste? Have you tried using it in cooking or in desserts?

Most breakfast cereals are candies, with whatever "cereal grains" that are put in there being too highly-processed to provide any nutritional value! I do still like to snack on them, though.

For a real breakfast (and I enjoy "breakfast" foods at any time of the day!) I go for oatmeal and muesli with dried or fresh fruit. Oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips are also delicious.

I'm currently favouring Nature's Path's Mesa Sunrise which is made from "Indian corn, flax, and amaranth blended into crunchy, golden cereal flakes". I'm not gluten free, but a surprising number of cereals have dairy added to them, so I have to be very careful.
Previously I was eating Dorset Cereals Oat Granola.

NPMESASUNR_large.jpg timthumb.jpg

I have Dorset Cereals too. I have four boxes on the go at the moment. I think I'm more in love with the packaging than the contents, but as far as cereals go, and I am not a *huge* fan, they are pretty much the best out there, in my opinion. The gingerbread porridge is totes amazeballs! :D

I don't buy the type of breakfast cereals that full of sugar and other nasties. I buy only pure oats and make my own cereal by adding a variety of dried fruit and nuts.Usually I add a little natural sweetener, such as honey, maple syrup or pure fruit juice.

In winter I cook porridge/oatmeal but in summer I just soak the oats and dried fruit in liquid and leave in the fridge overnight, so it is ready to eat in the morning.

I have an oat granola that I have been munching on and I actually like it. Oatmeal is my usual breakfast of choice, cereal I eat dry for a snack.

I LOVE breakfast cereal. I could seriously live off of it. My ultimate favorites are Frosted Mini Wheats and Raisin Bran. I pretty much love any cereal but those are the healthier ones so they're the ones I buy most often lol.

If rice crispies count as a cereal, and oatmeal porridge counts as a cereal, I'd also like to mention my favorite rice porridge. Where I live, it's called tsamporado, and it's basically rice porridge with cooking chocolate, sugar, and evaporated milk. Some salty dried fish (especially small fish with dark meat) adds a salty counterpoint to the sweetness, and some spike to the texture.

Some sticky rice cakes I enjoy have different flavorings, of fruit or chocolate, but the one I was most curious about was millet. It turns out that millet isn't one species or genus of grains, but an agricultural term referring to a variety of grains, cereals, and seeds. (So why would there be millet-flavored rice cakes? Curious thing.)

I love cereal and have a supply of it. Between my kids and I, we go through about 4 boxes a week. I have Special K, Cheerios, Life and a mix of others.

Cereals are great dry and as a snack. I use Rice Krispies to make treats every now and then.

I never leave out my breakfast cereals. In fact, I don't leave out breakfast on the whole. The cereals I eat the most are oat flakes, oatmeal and cream-of-wheat. I do not eat much of the dried cereals these days. However, my favourites, when I do eat them, are cornflakes (not the sugar-coated ones), raisin bran, all bran, and shredded wheat. If I do buy these now, I would usually eat them at night rather than for breakfast, but I do treat myself to them occasionally. I think they all have some kind of benefit, especially the raisin bran, since that would be a good source of fiber as well as the shredded wheat. Rice crispies is one I used to eat, but have not eaten that for a while now.

I eat my cereals both for health reasons and for taste as well.

I love breakfast cereal, but find that I eat most of them for snacks or dessert because they are so high in sugar. My favorite sugary cereal is cinnamon toast crunch. If I am going to have cereal for breakfast I look for something with a bit more fiber in it so it will keep me full longer. I tend to eat Kashi cereal for breakfast but occasionally branch out and eat raisin bran crunch, cheerios or special k.

I've worked my way through the dorset cereal range this summer,but still return to porridge dried cranberries and banana in the autumn

I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast, though occasionally we eat cereal. We do not eat the brightly colored cereals with marshmallows. They taste funny to me and I do not want something that sweet when I wake up. The cereals we eat are: plain corn flakes, mini wheaties, and honey nut cheerios. We may get a box every other month, but again, we stick to oatmeal and honey or oatmeal and fruit. I just think it is more healthy than sugar laden corn puffs.

We do not eat the brightly colored cereals with marshmallows.

Neither does my family. When we had that in stock, we used to just pick out the marshmallows and eat them, no cereal.

I'm only partially joking, just sliiightly exaggerating.

As a kid, I just went for oatmeal because I preferred hot porridge to a cold bowl of cereal, although you can bet that I overdid it with honey (and cinnamon.) If only I'd thought to add some real fruit.

Cornflakes with honey nut clusters and dried banana chips, is my new favorite cereal now.

I generally only eat cereal as a snack in the evening. It doesn't last with me in the morning so I have oatmeal instead. Most of the time I snack on it without any milk or sugar. Its still sweet enough without it.

Back
Top Bottom