Breakfast Cereal Discussion

I've always remain true to having my oatmeal or dorset cereals in the mornings as a matter of fact there are times when i'll have these cereals two to three times a day as I have a great love for them and they're also excellent for lowering my blood pressure. I usually add a few banana slices or raisins to my cereal to enhance its flavor.

I love cereal but I try to stick to pretty bland stuff, otherwise I end up eating it as if it's a sweet (it can be dangerous!)

My favorite though if we aren't talking bland stuff is any sort of granola with dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon and honey flavors. Delicious!

Reactions: L_B
The problem with granola is that it sounds really healthy but most brands contain sugar or golden syrup (sometimes honey). Nothing wrong with that necessarily - as long as you are aware of the extra added calories. I prefer unsweetened cereals. One of my favourites is Grape Nuts. I used to think this was unsweetened - but no! It contains maltose which is (you've guessed it) a form of glucose. The packet is misleading because it describes it as 'naturally occurring sugar', when in fact, its been added.

The only well-known brand cereal, other than porridge oats, I can find with no added sugar is Shredded Wheat. Luckily, I quite like that, although it can reminiscent of chewing bread baskets! There are a number of cereals which claim no added sugar but most turn out to have malted barley extract (which is sugar made by fermenting barley).

I remember Kellogs cereal when I was young. It was the big carton that my father would buy whenever his horse would win (he is a race horse trainer). That cereal is best with evaporated milk, a little sugar and banana if available. It is nice for breakfast whenever there are fruits. But the best fruit that goes with my cereals is strawberry. That's really delicious and I could eat double the amount of what I usually eat for breakfast.

Usually oatmeal with some fruit is may breakfast cereal, I also eat shredded wheat with fruit. Must of the cereals that are high in sugar do not stay more than two days in our house, my grandson's eat that stuff quickly.

I like my cereals just really plain and boring so I can add my own ingredients to it. I buy plain Kellogs or wheat flakes, rice crispies are good too then I add dried fruits, nuts and milk. Sometimes I use chocolate mix just to add sweetness or I put a little honey or maple to taste.

I have never been a big cereal eater but when I do eat cereal it is usually Rice Crispies or Special K with some fresh fruit added. I enjoy having oatmeal through the winter on those cold winter mornings and evenings.

I am not too consistent with breakfast or cereal, but working on it. The cereal I have left is a vegan cereal I thought I would try out. I can't remember the name as I took it out of the box once I was half way through. I really bought it with my son in mind, but he was not too excited about it. Sometimes I am happy to much on cereal in the late evening plain and simple.

I am not too consistent with breakfast or cereal, but working on it. The cereal I have left is a vegan cereal I thought I would try out. I can't remember the name as I took it out of the box once I was half way through. I really bought it with my son in mind, but he was not too excited about it. Sometimes I am happy to much on cereal in the late evening plain and simple.
I hate to say this, but aren't most breakfast cereals vegan (just as most pasta is)? Weetabix, Rice Krispies, Frosties, Cornflakes, Kelloggs Fruit 'n' Fibre, aren't they vegan? I'm sure that I'll be admonished for my ignorance! The exceptions would be those containing chocolate, honey or milk I would think.

I hate to say this, but aren't most breakfast cereals vegan (just as most pasta is)? Weetabix, Rice Krispies, Frosties, Cornflakes, Kelloggs Fruit 'n' Fibre, aren't they vegan? I'm sure that I'll be admonished for my ignorance! The exceptions would be those containing chocolate, honey or milk I would think.
You'd be surprised what turns up in cereal. Often white sugar or honey prevents it from being vegan. I recently found out that bran flakes of all things are not vegan because they are sweetened with honey! That one really surprised me.

Anything with added vitamin D3 is not vegan.
Anything with added omega anything needs to be checked because it is often from fish oil.
A staggering number contain milk or milk products (apparently adding semi or skimmed milk means the cereal does not taste as good, so they as milk powder to avoid this issue, watch out for muesli on this front)

Well at least I was right about the honey. It really surprised me to realise that honey couldn't be eaten by vegans when I first found out. It seems such an innocent, healthy, back to nature food!

Well at least I was right about the honey. It really surprised me to realise that honey couldn't be eaten by vegans when I first found out. It seems such an innocent, healthy, back to nature food!
Yes, I know what you mean. But done incorrectly, that is the gathering of the honey, you can kill the hives, plus you are using the insects to obtain the honey, forcing them to work harder and not allowing them to stock pile honey for years when nectar is harder to come by. Honey stores naturally even in the wild.

I remember going around a bee museum as a child as was absolutely fascinated by it. Somewhere near to Taunton in Somerset if I remember correctly. I think that and eggs I know the origin of are one of the reasons I'm not a true vegan. Honey I can do without, but I do like it occasionally.

Yes, I know what you mean. But done incorrectly, that is the gathering of the honey, you can kill the hives, plus you are using the insects to obtain the honey, forcing them to work harder and not allowing them to stock pile honey for years when nectar is harder to come by. Honey stores naturally even in the wild.

I remember going around a bee museum as a child as was absolutely fascinated by it. Somewhere near to Taunton in Somerset if I remember correctly. I think that and eggs I know the origin of are one of the reasons I'm not a true vegan. Honey I can do without, but I do like it occasionally.
On the other hand, I understand that Bee keeping if done responsibly contributes to maintaining the bee population. I think worker bees have a pretty miserable life whether we eat the honey or not! When I was a kid we always kept chickens.They lay eggs all the time and unless there is a cockerel about they are unfertilised and useless to anyone unless eaten. I think even if there is a cockerel around the chickens won't hatch the eggs unless they are broody. So most would just go to waste.

Back
Top Bottom