Building a Burger

Discussion in 'Sandwiches, Pizzas and Wraps' started by Yorky, Jul 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

I'm sure there is a thread of at least a similar title but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Anyway, here's mine.

Sourdough roll sliced in two (not three - I've found two easier to control during the biting process) slightly toasted with ketchup and a few sliced chillis to add a little fire.

1 s.jpg
    Pork burger.

2 s.jpg
    Pickled cucumber and shallots to add acidity and crunch.

3 s.jpg

Lid (precariously balanced).

5 s.jpg

2. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

Toasting the bun is an important but underrated part of the operation. I want to crunch into what you posted...you made it very appetizing!

In fact, I brought a burger to lunch today. I will post my assembly process and the finished product, though it certainly won't look as nice as yours!

3. The Late Night Gourmet

Here's my lunch today. I have a potato roll sandwich bun, then add garlic paste, hummus, and a pickled red onion. While I did say that toasting the bun is important, I couldn't toast this one because the toaster at work is broken. I pickled the onion, but the sauces are leftovers from a middle-eastern restaurant.

IMG_1604.jpg
    I made a chicken burger using ultra-lean chicken breast that I trimmed and ground myself. I added salt, pepper, and sumac to the seasoning. Those dark bits are chunks of mushroom that I added to provide moisture: a patty that lean would have been horrible without any fat. I use a large white mushroom for each 4 ounces of chicken, and the patty is always juicy and flavorful.

IMG_1606.jpg
    Next, I used my favorite type of homemade kimchi: diakon radish. I decided to depart from my usual method of adding chili pepper flakes, and instead cut up a green Anaheim pepper to provide the heat. While the taste is terrific, the pepper contributed virtually no heat. It seems that the pepper flakes distribute the heat better, so I will go back to that next time.

IMG_1607.jpg
    Finally, the burger is assembled.

IMG_1608.JPG

epicuric, Yorky and morning glory like this.
  4. Crunch

Crunch Member

Those few look like they will add a whole lot of fire.

5. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

The anaheims that we can buy here are very mild. On the mild to hot ascending pepper scale we have available are capsicum, pepperocini, anaheim, jalapeño (rare), cayenne, Thai hot and prik kee noo (mouse droppings). I used the cayenne on my burger (same as I used in the kohlapuri) as the two hotter types tend to blow your head off.

chili-pepper-smiley.png

6. The Late Night Gourmet

Didn't realize those were Anaheims...I thought they were jalapenos. I wonder why some places seem to get the green peppers while others get the more ripe (and hotter) ones. Even the red ones would be equivalent to a top-end jalapeno. I recall making that mistake when I decided to stuff red Fresno peppers: they were tasty, but also painful to eat (and painful later on when they worked their way through my system!!)

7. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

Burgers are one of my favorite meals. You can do so much with it. @Yorky your pork burger looked fantastic (minus the ketchup).

8. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

The ones on my burger were green cayennes. I came across green fresnos (I think - nothing is labeled here) a while ago but my experiment at stuffing them was not successful.

stuffed fresnos.jpg

9. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

I generally use ketchup but in the past I've used mustard (English) and salsa. The latter can be a nose opener!

detroitdad likes this.
  10. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

I'm a Mayo/Mustard guy. I had some pesto leftover last week and I used that on a Cajun burger. It paired very well with it.

11. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

oh, and damn......now I want a burger! :)

Yorky and The Late Night Gourmet like this.
  12. epicuric

epicuric Senior Member Staff Member

One of my pet hates is an overfilled burger. I was presented with one a couple of days ago at a cafe bar. The burger pattie was lovely, but the amount of other stuff made it impossible to pick it up and eat it. Knife and fork job!

13. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

Today's pork burger was not very successful.

montage.jpg

14. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

Something like this?

calories.jpg

epicuric and morning glory like this.
  15. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member Recipe Challenge Judge

We are more likely to make sliders these days. One of my favorites is to make the mixture for meatball banh mi and make slider patties with it. I use the condiments that go with the banh mi sandwiches as well. I'll do the same with the Italian meatball recipe I use and serve with marinara sauce and parmesan or pecorino. Of course Martin's potato buns are a must.