Caregivers’ chat

💩caregiver story from today:

I was waiting for DH to finish up with his doc appointment and decided to text my Gal Pal whos Mom is Gal Pals with my Mom in the same Senior Living Community (we recommended her there). We call them "The Two Moms"; we're the "Two Daughters" :laugh:
My Gal Pal had texted to me the other day that her Mom was a bit "cold like". When I inquired as to how her Mom was feeling today, I got "she tested positive to covid"
WHAT?!
She asked how my Mom was doing and I had to honest and said I need to check in with her!
Mom had no idea that her Gal Pal was positive and they had just had dinner together on Sunday!
:eek:
I called to the community's office to inquire about what was the haps ... "I can't talk about other residents ... blah blah blah ... but what can I do for you?" (in a extremely condescending tone, I don't care for this gal btw!)
🤬
UMMMM!
Could you arrange for a covid test for my Mom? I understand that the Community is in lockdown and there can be no visitors.
"No, that's not the case. (that's what Mom said 🤔). She has to call us with symptoms and then we'll take care of it."
"But she won't do that because she's deathly afraid that we'll put her in the hospital again!"
"So what do you want then?"
🤬
"Nothing! I'll deal with this, thank you, good bye!"
And I hung up abruptly! (I'm never rude like that)
I called Mom back and she REFUSED to be tested, "Leave me alone! I'm FINE!" 😳
OKAY THEN!!!!
I said that I would not be around until her quarantine would be up ... I do not want to get sick AGAIN!
"I'll see ya in 14 days then, good bye!"
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
*side note: her birthday is next Saturday ... she may be on her own! God knows that my younger Sister won't be around!

💩caregiver story from today:

I was waiting for DH to finish up with his doc appointment and decided to text my Gal Pal whos Mom is Gal Pals with my Mom in the same Senior Living Community (we recommended her there). We call them "The Two Moms"; we're the "Two Daughters" :laugh:
My Gal Pal had texted to me the other day that her Mom was a bit "cold like". When I inquired as to how her Mom was feeling today, I got "she tested positive to covid"
WHAT?!
She asked how my Mom was doing and I had to honest and said I need to check in with her!
Mom had no idea that her Gal Pal was positive and they had just had dinner together on Sunday!
:eek:
I called to the community's office to inquire about what was the haps ... "I can't talk about other residents ... blah blah blah ... but what can I do for you?" (in a extremely condescending tone, I don't care for this gal btw!)
🤬
UMMMM!
Could you arrange for a covid test for my Mom? I understand that the Community is in lockdown and there can be no visitors.
"No, that's not the case. (that's what Mom said 🤔). She has to call us with symptoms and then we'll take care of it."
"But she won't do that because she's deathly afraid that we'll put her in the hospital again!"
"So what do you want then?"
🤬
"Nothing! I'll deal with this, thank you, good bye!"
And I hung up abruptly! (I'm never rude like that)
I called Mom back and she REFUSED to be tested, "Leave me alone! I'm FINE!" 😳
OKAY THEN!!!!
I said that I would not be around until her quarantine would be up ... I do not want to get sick AGAIN!
"I'll see ya in 14 days then, good bye!"
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
*side note: her birthday is next Saturday ... she may be on her own! God knows that my younger Sister won't be around!

Same thing here.

My mom has been saying for almost a month that she has a cold. So, she stopped going to the dining room, or bible study. We keep telling her that she does not have a cold, it is her allergies. She called my sister's house today, and I answered. She said she has a fever. I asked what her temperature was, because she told my sister the same thing a few days ago. She told m her temperature was 98.6(F), and I told her "that's normal." She keeps thinking normal is 96.8.

She keeps telling my sister that she has a cold, so my sister tells her that she will take her to the nearby clinic (doc-in-a-box). My mom doesn't want to do that, so she says, I'm fine. :facepalm:

We are really concerned about her short term memory issues. They have gotten worse. My sister took my mom to the funeral home on Wednesday to sign papers for my dad's cremation, and at one point she asked where they were, followed by asking why she was at a funeral home.

But, at the same meeting at the funeral home, she answered questions from 50 years ago, and she knew the answers without hesitation.

CD

You still cross with her then?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
She's being a real pill and I've had enough of it ... she knows when I get P.O.'d with her and will change her tune ... until then, DH, you deal with her!

ABSOLUTELY!!!
She's being a real pill and I've had enough of it ... she knows when I get P.O.'d with her and will change her tune ... until then, DH, you deal with her!
We’ve taken a different tact with Mr SSOAP’s parents.
I don’t know exactly when it happens that you can’t make something work, call for help with it but then insist the person called doesn’t know what they’re doing or is interfering 🤷‍♀️

So now he just says
“Do you want my help or not?”
They usually go quiet and let him get on with it or if they continue to obstruct and fuss he says “I haven’t got time for this” and leaves.

It’s been good for keeping the peace, not wasting time and getting a faster acceptance of what needs to happen.

But they live in the same field as us, it’s easy leave and go back when the tantrums have ceased.

Last edited:
in my experience, writing an obit in as reasonable advance, , , , is the really best approach.
that task, done at the 'last minute' almost always results in an ah-sheet,,, missed that.
but however comma and all that , , , that last minute bit is what the internet 'preserves'

there are buckets of situations where the impending death of "the big guy" is known, awaited . . . and then . . . it happens.

p*ss poor preparation = = really regrettable documented histories.

in my experience, writing an obit in as reasonable advance, , , , is the really best approach.
that task, done at the 'last minute' almost always results in an ah-sheet,,, missed that.
but however comma and all that , , , that last minute bit is what the internet 'preserves'

there are buckets of situations where the impending death of "the big guy" is known, awaited . . . and then . . . it happens.

p*ss poor preparation = = really regrettable documented histories.

It's not going to be hard for me to do. I do have some professional writing experience. **

I just have to have a little quiet time. I'm not going to let everyone and their dog read it before I send it to the Funeral Home. I don't expect any complaints, and if I get any, they are going in one ear, and out the other.

CD

** I write my posts on the forum in a very casual, conversational style. I basically write them the way I would speak them if we were hanging out over some food and beverages. I be capeible of writin' gud when I has to.

Will it be a "George Santos" style obituary?

CD
No, but it’ll be lighthearted. I may even end it in an incomplete sentence, like I passed right while I was writing it. :wink:

I’m sure not everyone shares my opinion, but death and dying get too down sometimes, and I mean that in the best way possible. I don’t want everybody depressed, I want them laughing at/with me.

Back
Top Bottom