Caregivers’ chat

He's never been violent with me or other women except when he was in the hospital after his accident 3+ years ago, subsequent psychotic break, and then the stroke afterward. He kicked an aide in the stomach because she was trying to get him to do something he didn't want to do, and then later that same day he punched me in the eye/nose area when we were arguing about what he had done earlier and because he wanted to come home and I told him he couldn't because he wasn't able to stand up by himself at the time. He also tried to kick another aide when she tried to intervene after he punched me. If he ever does become violent at home, hopefully, there will be warning signs beforehand because he's a lot bigger than I am, close to a foot taller.

medtran49 - much of what you wrote rings true for MrsT as well, just not as severe as Craig’s.

I never know what he's going to remember so have to remind him about everything
Yep, same here.

I set up the dishwasher to run last night, but she told me not to start it because she had a glass to put in it once she was finished with her drink.

Glass sat and sat, I tried taking it into the kitchen, and she said, “Don’t start the dishwasher! I told you I would do it!” - so I left it.

Time for bed (I always go to bed first), I reminded her about it - “I know! I said I’d do it and I’ll do it!”

This morning…there sat the glass, dishwasher still dirty.

“Did you run the dishwasher last night?” - knowing she didn’t, but I can’t just say that.

“Oh. No, I forgot, but don’t do it. I’ll get it before I leave for my meetup.” - she has a client meeting today.

Now she’s gone, it still hasn’t run, it takes two hours to complete a cycle, she probably won’t be back before 2PM, there’s stuff I need in it, and if I run it while she’s gone, it’ll be my neck on the chopping block.

My rearranging and organizing things have thrown him off as far as pantry and freezer wise
Yep to that as well, I find stuff put away in the strangest places, and I haven’t even reorganized anything.

He has little to no sense of space around him
I see that with her somewhat, but very much so with my parents and my MIL, with their dementia.

The last time I was ever in public with my MIL, she took us out to lunch, and she insisted on paying. By this time, she was living in memory care.

MrsT carried her mom’s cards, and when it came time to pay, she was just going to use her card to pay, but in her mom’s mind, she had to do it, or she wasn’t actually paying. Fine, here’s your card, there’s the register.

There was a woman being helped, and a few people in line waiting to pay, and my MIL looked at them for about three seconds, then walked right past them, right up to the cashier, sort of bumped the other woman out of the way, and handed the cashier the bill and her card, while the cashier was trying to make change for the other woman.

“Mom! Mom! You gotta wait your turn!”

Her mom’s completely serious reply - “Well, I don’t see why, I’m ready to go!”

His peripheral vision on the left and depth perception were badly affected by the stroke
With MrsT, it’s her hearing on one side. Her ear works fine, but her brain generally disregards anything coming in from that ear.

He no longer knows what common courtesy is anymore, it apparently just doesn't enter his brain that maybe he shouldn't act like he does
MrsT has a variation of that - when she’s done with something, she’s done. She doesn’t tie up loose ends or complete things, which I do put down to courtesy - she’ll eat everything of something if she wants it, like Craig, but she’ll also do things like get a plate down and leave the cupboard open, make a sandwich and leave the bread, cheese, and lunchmeat out and open, thinks like that.

It’s so opposite her pre-stroke personality - she used to be painfully considerate, and now she just thinks about what’s immediately in front of her and her wants. She doesn’t mean it to be rude, it’s just the way her brain works now.

Same with compassion - she used to be extremely compassionate. I’ve joked before that her nickname when we married was based off the Mary Richard’s character from The Mary Tyler Moore show - sweet, empathetic, a pleaser…that ain’t her now. She’s lost a lot of that and can sometimes be downright cruel in her comments about other people’s situations.

I have to remind him to take his nighttime pills
Same here, all the way round. Alarms and reminders don’t help. I have to watch her take them, or she won’t. Not because she doesn’t want to, but it’s always, “I’m busy, I’ll do it in a minute.” - but then she instantly forgets.

I’m like one of those sadistic nurses in an old horror movie set in a Victorian insane asylum - “Let’s take our pills!…take them!…I said take them!…Now open your mouth!…Let me see under your tongue!…ok, good!” :laugh:

until he only does what he is happiest doing now, sitting in front of a TV and taking the occasional nap
With her, her happy place seems to be playing endless games on her phone.

medtran49 - much of what you wrote rings true for MrsT as well, just not as severe as Craig’s.

Yep, same here.

I set up the dishwasher to run last night, but she told me not to start it because she had a glass to put in it once she was finished with her drink.

Glass sat and sat, I tried taking it into the kitchen, and she said, “Don’t start the dishwasher! I told you I would do it!” - so I left it.

Time for bed (I always go to bed first), I reminded her about it - “I know! I said I’d do it and I’ll do it!”

This morning…there sat the glass, dishwasher still dirty.

“Did you run the dishwasher last night?” - knowing she didn’t, but I can’t just say that.

“Oh. No, I forgot, but don’t do it. I’ll get it before I leave for my meetup.” - she has a client meeting today.

Now she’s gone, it still hasn’t run, it takes two hours to complete a cycle, she probably won’t be back before 2PM, there’s stuff I need in it, and if I run it while she’s gone, it’ll be my neck on the chopping block.

Yep to that as well, I find stuff put away in the strangest places, and I haven’t even reorganized anything.

I see that with her somewhat, but very much so with my parents and my MIL, with their dementia.

The last time I was ever in public with my MIL, she took us out to lunch, and she insisted on paying. By this time, she was living in memory care.

MrsT carried her mom’s cards, and when it came time to pay, she was just going to use her card to pay, but in her mom’s mind, she had to do it, or she wasn’t actually paying. Fine, here’s your card, there’s the register.

There was a woman being helped, and a few people in line waiting to pay, and my MIL looked at them for about three seconds, then walked right past them, right up to the cashier, sort of bumped the other woman out of the way, and handed the cashier the bill and her card, while the cashier was trying to make change for the other woman.

“Mom! Mom! You gotta wait your turn!”

Her mom’s completely serious reply - “Well, I don’t see why, I’m ready to go!”

With MrsT, it’s her hearing on one side. Her ear works fine, but her brain generally disregards anything coming in from that ear.

MrsT has a variation of that - when she’s done with something, she’s done. She doesn’t tie up loose ends or complete things, which I do put down to courtesy - she’ll eat everything of something if she wants it, like Craig, but she’ll also do things like get a plate down and leave the cupboard open, make a sandwich and leave the bread, cheese, and lunchmeat out and open, thinks like that.

It’s so opposite her pre-stroke personality - she used to be painfully considerate, and now she just thinks about what’s immediately in front of her and her wants. She doesn’t mean it to be rude, it’s just the way her brain works now.

Same with compassion - she used to be extremely compassionate. I’ve joked before that her nickname when we married was based off the Mary Richard’s character from The Mary Tyler Moore show - sweet, empathetic, a pleaser…that ain’t her now. She’s lost a lot of that and can sometimes be downright cruel in her comments about other people’s situations.

Same here, all the way round. Alarms and reminders don’t help. I have to watch her take them, or she won’t. Not because she doesn’t want to, but it’s always, “I’m busy, I’ll do it in a minute.” - but then she instantly forgets.

I’m like one of those sadistic nurses in an old horror movie set in a Victorian insane asylum - “Let’s take our pills!…take them!…I said take them!…Now open your mouth!…Let me see under your tongue!…ok, good!” :laugh:

With her, her happy place seems to be playing endless games on her phone.

Just dont turn into nurse ratchet?. Sp?

Russ

I would rather my late mother lived another 20 years and I'd cope somehow with her dementia if she got it???
We are extremely blessed to have Mother with us at 92 years old. Fortunately, we are jointly able to care for her. She will need to go into care probably sooner rather than later. That does not mean that our daily care ends. We will have to take turns visiting her every day at different times of the day to make sure that she is receiving proper care. Even the best facility will become lazy and inattentive if they are not monitored. We have selected a facility that is stellar and unfortunately expensive. Her retirement account will see her through 3 or 4 years. After that we will have to sell her house. Brother and Niece will have to move.

TR I am so sorry. I did not know that Mrs. T had a stroke. It sounds like you walk on eggshells.

Mother's dementia is severe, but we are blessed. She does not argue when we ask her to do something. She is never violent. I told you about her meds. Another thing she does is take dirty dishes out of the sink and put them back in the cabinet. That is on my brother and niece. They know better than to leave dirty dishes in the sink, but do it anyway then complain because Mother puts them away dirty.

When it comes to food Mother is like a child. The last time I stayed with her I brought a pizza. Before I could get plates out of the cabinet, she had opened the box and was scarfing down her first slice. We went to lunch the other day. As soon as her plate was put in front of her she started picking up food with her fingers. She had a glass of water with lemon. There was summer squash on her plate. She thought it was lemon and tried to squeeze it into her water.

We will have to take turns visiting her every day at different times of the day to make sure that she is receiving proper care.
That’s what my siblings do. At least one is there every day, and because they’re so close, it’s just about any time. Also, for close family, once they know you, they don’t really apply the visiting hours rule - we can stop by 24/7 and as long as we’re not being noisy or disruptive, they’re fine with it.

a facility that is stellar and unfortunately expensive.
We’re really lucky with Mom & Dad’s facility in that it’s top-notch, but they take Medicare. That’s very unusual, and it’s only two miles from the house they lived most of their married life in, and many of their friends and family ended up there as well over the years, so it’s very familiar to them.

They get good care, and they’re always popping up on the home’s FB page for one thing or another.

TR I am so sorry. I did not know that Mrs. T had a stroke. It sounds like you walk on eggshells.
Thanks. It’s been quite a long time now…11 years. She was 50 when it happened, but she was very fortunate in that it happened at work and her manager immediately called 911, and she happened to work less than 10 minutes from a nationally-ranked stroke center. She got back about 85% of her capability.

As far as eggshells, it’s one of those things where she still has a lot of anger about the whole thing, and any suggestion that she can’t do something she could do before, or that she forgot something, or mixed up her words, brings that anger out.

Most of that, I can ignore, but if she’s telling me something like “I have to call so-and-so today,” but she really meant tomorrow (she frequently transposes “yesterday,” “today,” and “tomorrow”), and I remind her later in the day, she can get pretty grumpy with the, “I didn’t say that! I said tomorrow! You can’t hear! You don’t pay attention!”

All in all, though, she’s a lot better off than a lot of other people who’ve had the same type of stroke.

Well today's the day for FIL's shoulder replacement surgery. DH went to pick up his stepdad and his mom and took them to the hospital to check in. I am going in about an hour to sit and wait with hubby and his ma while (surgery is scheduled from 1-3). My FIL believes he will be released tomorrow and will be able to drive and get back to his regular life by Saturday. I do believe he has a chance of being released to go home tomorrow, but I am thinking it's going to be mid-April before he is able to drive again. He did recover fairly well from open heart surgery (triple bypass) in December, though at 80 he was slower than most to get back to normal (and I am saying it's more like a "new normal" than what his life was like before).

Quite honestly, FIL shouldn't be driving anywhere anymore. Last summer he and MIL asked us out to dinner and as our house was on the way, they offered to pick us up. FIL turned off the road and into the two lane driveway leading into the parking lot where the restaurant was located--on the left side of the entrance, and a car was coming straight at us!! His mind wasn't registering it, and I was saying, "Watch out, watch out, WATCH OUT!!! On the last "watch out" I said it loudly in a panicky tone and it must have sunk in because he swerved over to the right just in time...it took me a bit to calm my nerves and develop an appetite after that! I don't think MIL even noticed it because she is blind in one eye and was having a conversation with DH, and DH wasn't paying attention, either...not sure I will be getting into a car with my FIL ever again!

Sunday I made some soup that DH took to his mom Monday and she put it in the freezer. I am going to make them some homemade macaroni and cheese in a few days as well, though they do have stuff on hand that they prepared last week and froze so they would have easy meals on hand, since MIL can't do much in her frail condition (as some of you may know she has liver cancer and NASH that developed into liver cirrhosis, along with other health conditions).

Just made some guacamole for MIL that I am bringing to her at the hospital with some tortilla chips as a surprise snack. She loves guacamole and avocados but FIL doesn't like them so she pretty much doesn't have it unless they go to a restaurant or I bring it to her (at the risk of getting scowled at by FIL). He'll be knocked out and will have no idea, lol.

Okay, going to finish getting ready and pack some waters and stuff. Phew.

Well today's the day for FIL's shoulder replacement surgery.
Good luck to everyone there. I think I mentioned earlier that I have two brothers going through shoulder surgery right now (their third one between the two of them) and it’s a long, painful recovery.

I’m due one myself but putting it off as long as possible.

Quite honestly, FIL shouldn't be driving anywhere anymore.
That’s how it was with my dad. The last time I rode with him in the car, he ignored every stop sign and red light - he just drove like he was the only one on the road and everyone had to adjust to him - the six miles from the house to the store, including going across town, he didn’t stop once. :laugh:

I pointed out after he ran his third or fourth stop sign that he’d just run one - “Hey, there was a stop sign back there, be careful!”

“They wuz?…Well, they ought notta be!” :laugh:

Needless to say, he didn’t drive home and he never drove with me in the car again. All my brothers were scared to take his keys from him, and I’d tell them, “Don’t give him a choice, just say you’re driving,” and that’s what I’d do - we’d set out somewhere, and I’d say, “Hey, Pap, I never get to drive that Buick of yours, let me drive!” and he’d hand the keys right over.

My mom used to love to drive, but as she got older, her eyesight got worse, and any sense she had got worse, so she’d proudly tell me, “Me an’ your dad make a good team - I tell him when to stop and when to go and where to turn, and why, he does it perfect!” :eek:

Good luck to everyone there. I think I mentioned earlier that I have two brothers going through shoulder surgery right now (their third one between the two of them) and it’s a long, painful recovery.

That’s how it was with my dad. The last time I rode with him in the car, he ignored every stop sign and red light - he just drove like he was the only one on the road and everyone had to adjust to him - the six miles from the house to the store, including going across town, he didn’t stop once. :laugh:

I pointed out after he ran his third or fourth stop sign that he’d just run one - “Hey, there was a stop sign back there, be careful!”

Needless to say, he didn’t drive home and he never drove with me in the car again. All my brothers were scared to take his keys from him, and I’d tell them, “Don’t give him a choice, just say you’re driving,” and that’s what I’d do - we’d set out somewhere, and I’d say, “Hey, Pap, I never get to drive that Buick of yours, let me drive!” and he’d hand the keys right over.

My mom used to love to drive, but as she got older, her eyesight got worse, and any sense she had got worse, so she’d proudly tell me, “Me an’ your dad make a good team - I tell him when to stop and when to go and where to turn, and why, he does it perfect!” :eek:
The doctor just came into the waiting area and let us know everything went well and now just waiting for him to wake up and get into a room.

TR I'm sorry you're having pain, you should think about doing something sooner than later. Im guessing you might be concerned about how MrsT will get on if you have surgery. As you and the missus get older it's not going to get any easier...

Talking of wrong way on roads. TRUE STORY.
The nolan's are a famous family on the west coast. Haast to be precise. It's a small town. One of them always said how everyone knew him in Dunedin ( big town 4 hrs away) anyhow he took his young nephew to Dunedin for some reason. He turned down a one way street. People were tooting and waving at him. He said quite proudly " see everyone knows me"
The nolan's are well known in the south island.

Russ

I need to take a break from this discussion. I love my Mother. She is the rock of our family. She has always been there for her children. She was always sharp and inventive and talented. To see her zoned out, food focused, childlike breaks my heart. All I, we can do is love her. Keep her comfortable and content.
George and I will not have the family support that Mother has. That scares me.

tomorrow I'll get some compression stocking.
It's indeed kinda scary how incappable we are to help each others. But I rather die a poor, helpless and sick guy than getting the same treatment like as a baby, cause we need to focus more on space traveling and handling dangerous asteroids.

tomorrow I'll get some compression stocking.
It's indeed kinda scary how incappable we are to help each others. But I rather die a poor, helpless and sick guy than getting the same treatment like as a baby, cause we need to focus more on space traveling and handling dangerous asteroids.
OH yeah, don't get me started on the waste of money going on that could help people in need. Your words ring true indeed.

Im guessing you might be concerned about how MrsT will get on if you have surgery.
Thanks, and pardon me for laughing a little because…that never occurred to me! :laugh:

The prominent thing in my mind was/is watching my two brothers going through their recoveries, it’s been horrible. I never thought beyond that, honestly. I’m one of those people that once I hit on the first thing, I stop thinking!*

* I’m like that with restaurant menus. I never read through a menu, even at a new place. I just read until I find something that sounds good, order that.

MrsT is always telling me, “Oh, I’m surprised you didn’t order the whatchamacallit,” and then I have to tell her, “I didn’t get that far.” :laugh:

Somewhere out there, there’s probably a restaurant I frequent that has a shepherd’s pizza pie potato cheesesteak sandwich that I’ve never eaten, because I stopped at the bowl of chili on the first page. :laugh:

My mums memory loss is going the typical way these things go and it’s no fun.
I feel very much for everyone here reading what they are having to deal with.
I had recently been thinking how much harder it must be if you really love the person you’re caring for.
My mum isn’t a good person so I emotionally detached from her long ago, only a few thin strings bind us and that makes it easier.

Honestly I wouldn’t be caring for her at all if it wasn’t for my Dad’s desire to see her looked after and his inability to do that himself. Plus even though I’m not fond of her I wouldn't want to see her starving sitting in a pool of her own pee so some checks are necessary.
But it feels like a practical arrangement. I very much feel like I’m nursing a patient rather than caring for a beloved relative. Thats probably what’s making me good at it from the rest of my family’s perspective.

As the carefully constructed sweet facade is eaten by the dementia and the mean-ness I know her for becomes more prominent I find it difficult to see her.

My youngest brother has similar feelings towards both of our parents.
He thinks we should all get together one last time.
I agree. I’ve been party to so many relatives pain while they watch a loved one essentially die twice, once slowly disappearing in front of them and again physically, that acknowledging whats going to happen and mentally saying goodbye to the person we knew before embracing the new changing version is probably helpful in the long run.

In Japan they opened a restaurant with a service team, build with dementia patients. It's called "maybe you won't get what you ordered" in Japanese. That's how you handle a disease IMO

Back
Top Bottom