Chips, Not Fries!

It's close. Home fries are peeled, cubed, and boiled, then drained and fried in bacon grease with a sprinkling of paprika. Yorky's doesn't looked boiled.

They are not "pre" boiled. Cut up and soaked in ice water for maybe one hour though.

Would these be called paprika home fries in America, I wonder? They look fantastic!
No, they would just be called seasoned potatoes. Those are roasted not fried.
Not all potatoes are called fries here. Fries have to fried.
And save your what do you call 1 cent pieces and come visit in 6 months.
I will take you on a restaurant potato tour.

I'm sure you are quite right. But I don't think we have a communication problem - as far as I'm concerned its just interesting asking about foods and words in different cultures! And I learn things. :D
Two seperate methods of preparing similar foods.

Fries are generally cut to the size of the tip of your little finger. Chips are cut a lot larger.

Two seperate methods of preparing similar foods.

Fries are generally cut to the size of the tip of your little finger. Chips are cut a lot larger.

Well that is exactly what I thought until recently. Perhaps I'm misreading some of the posts above - but it seems that the word 'fries' in America can mean all kind of sizes including fat ones! Dear American friends, can you please confirm (or not) or explain. :ohmy::okay:

Here in North America there are shoe string fries, crinkle cut fries, beef steak fries, curly fries, regular fries(closest to what Brits call chips), waffle fries.....I notice that your chips are a lot shorter than what we would make..Do you use small potatoes or cut your potatoes in half so they will fit in the pot?

Here in North America there are shoe string fries, crinkle cut fries, beef steak fries, curly fries, regular fries(closest to what Brits call chips), waffle fries.....I notice that your chips are a lot shorter than what we would make..Do you use small potatoes or cut your potatoes in half so they will fit in the pot?
You haven't answered my question :hyper:. If you go to a restaurant and order 'fries' what would you get? Or do you have to specify?

Regarding the 'short' chips. Are you looking at @Yorky 's photo. His are shorter than average. I think we just cut the potatoes that we have - not particularly to fit the frying pot. Here is a typical sized Brit Chip. I'd say that the average chip was between 2 to 3 inches long (but they vary a bit):

chips.jpg

I do cut mine shorter than the norm because I feel that they cook more evenly in the rotofry deep fry. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I never cut them that short before I bought the rotofry.

Well that is exactly what I thought until recently. Perhaps I'm misreading some of the posts above - but it seems that the word 'fries' in America can mean all kind of sizes including fat ones! Dear American friends, can you please confirm (or not) or explain. :ohmy::okay:
Confirming. Fries is a term for fried potatoes. Usually deep fried but not always.
There is no one size fits all fry.

You haven't answered my question :hyper:. If you go to a restaurant and order 'fries' what would you get? Or do you have to specify?

Regarding the 'short' chips. Are you looking at @Yorky 's photo. His are shorter than average. I think we just cut the potatoes that we have - not particularly to fit the frying pot. Here is a typical sized Brit Chip. I'd say that the average chip was between 2 to 3 inches long (but they vary a bit):

View attachment 6244
Depends which restaurant?
If you go to McDonalds, you get skinny fries. If you go to Arby's you get curly fries, if you go to Chick-Fil-A you get waffle fries. Fuddruckers you get wedge fries.
Any other restaurants, it is whatever fries they have. You don't know until you get them what size and portion.
Reread my previous post which stated there are 16 restaurants in a 2 mile area. You will get a different fry at every restaurant. And no you cannot specify what fry you want.
Fries is a generic term, it means any deep fried potato.
You are in a monarchy, which means you have more specific food rules.
We are a democracy, if I want, I could cut a potato into hexagons, fry them and call them french fries or just fries.
Still offering you that fried potato tour.

View attachment 6244
Yep, that is a standard fry but not a fast food fry.

Are you serious? :happy:
Yes I am. As I recall, you have food description law that says the name must be a description of the product.
We don't have that as far as names go but all food products have to have an ingredient list.

Back
Top Bottom