Chips, Not Fries!

Yes I am. As I recall, you have food description law that says the name must be a description of the product.
We don't have that as far as names go but all food products have to have an ingredient list.
Oh well, maybe for some things like Stilton Cheese but not chips.:laugh: It just happens that chips are more or less the same here.

Oh well, maybe for some things like Stilton Cheese but not chips.:laugh: It just happens that chips are more or less the same here.
That could be because it is what people expect.

Now I will say I know people that love McDonald's french fries. So if they changed their fries, they would lose business. Same for the other places I mentioned.

.I sell waffle fries at my place..people love them..they are not common in this area
chicagodogs7.jpg

What most affects me re. fries/chips is whether or not they are frozen and, in many fast food places, they are indeed frozen! Tasteless to me but then I have lost my sense of smell. Even so, I would still prefer them made from fresh potato!

I agree, but time and labor costs have become an issue in many restaurants. It takes a lot more time and money to produce a fresh cut fry...Handling, clean up, it is harder on your fryer oil so you have to change it more, which costs more. So this would require asking a higher price to make it worth while. ...I make my own fries at home, but I sell the frozen ones. It's just business...Not to mention it smells up the place pretty badly...a lot more than frying frozen..

Last edited:
Blimey! Doesn't that mean you can't taste anything at all?
Well I've had this condition for some 4 decades so I don't remember the comparison. Whilst sense of smell DOES have quite an impact on taste, it is not totally the case. Luckily I favour fresh ingredients anyway and like to cook!

I tend not to notice things burning though (the smoke alarm eventually kicks in)! Of course aromas are lost on me too along with anything subtle tasting. I have been told that, in London, there are many unpleasant smells! I can remember certain smells, nostalgically e.g. of a greengrocer's shop...ha! Where are they now???

Well I've had this condition for some 4 decades so I don't remember the comparison. Whilst sense of smell DOES have quite an impact on taste, it is not totally the case. Luckily I favour fresh ingredients anyway and like to cook!

I tend not to notice things burning though (the smoke alarm eventually kicks in)! Of course aromas are lost on me too along with anything subtle tasting. I have been told that, in London, there are many unpleasant smells! I can remember certain smells, nostalgically e.g. of a greengrocer's shop...ha! Where are they now???
Is the smell of burning one you can get long before anyone else in the same area. No matter what is burning?

Oh I just thought of something. While our fries may be all over the place, our chips are all pretty close in size and shape. Flavors vary.

@Rocklobster, having made waffle fries once from scratch I can't blame you for using frozen. Though I didn't understand your smell comment.

Oh I just thought of something. While our fries may be all over the place, our chips are all pretty close in size and shape. Flavors vary.

@Rocklobster, having made waffle fries once from scratch I can't blame you for using frozen. Though I didn't understand your smell comment.
The loss of sense of smell was MY post not his. Smell affects our ability to taste food, hence why I avoid frozen - more insipid.

The loss of sense of smell was MY post not his. Smell affects our ability to taste food, hence why I avoid frozen - more insipid.
Some reason you quoted my post since I was talking about chips not smells.
You have my sympathy on no smell though.

Back
Top Bottom