Chips, Not Fries!

I like really big chips best of all and I normally cook them twice in a deep fat frier. Those skinny chips just don't hit the spot but my grandson seems to like them. It could be that the younger generation in the UK are leaning more towards French fries.

I like chips that still have the skin on them. There is an American diner/restaurant that does this i.e. locally.

I recently discovered a new fish and chip shop which is truly high quality! The chips are so light, crisp and slightly puffy that I think they must have undergone some kind of process....not sure what though.

(The haddock was the best haddock I have had in years - perfectly cooked and not the slightest bit overcooked. Light batter. Furthermore there was no extra cost to eat it there and it came with a small pot of tartare sauce, lemon wedge and a small dressed salad - at no extra cost!)

I like chips that still have the skin on them. There is an American diner/restaurant that does this i.e. locally.

I recently discovered a new fish and chip shop which is truly high quality! The chips are so light, crisp and slightly puffy that I think they must have undergone some kind of process....not sure what though.

(The haddock was the best haddock I have had in years - perfectly cooked and not the slightest bit overcooked. Light batter. Furthermore there was no extra cost to eat it there and it came with a small pot of tartare sauce, lemon wedge and a small dressed salad - at no extra cost!)
So not understanding: food places charge extra to eat there?

Frying fresh potatoes will produce a lot more odor than frying frozen ones. The fresh ones give off a lot more steam while they are frying. A lot of this steam goes billowing out from under the exhaust hood and carries the aroma of fryer oil throughout the restaurant...nobody likes stinky fryer smell, nor do I want a reputation for being a greasy fry joint...

Frying fresh potatoes will produce a lot more odor than frying frozen ones. The fresh ones give off a lot more steam while they are frying. A lot of this steam goes billowing out from under the exhaust hood and carries the aroma of fryer oil throughout the restaurant...nobody likes stinky fryer smell, nor do I want a reputation for being a greasy fry joint...
I understand now. My second husband worked for a place that deep fried everything but the coleslaw. Even after washing, his uniforms still smelled like cooking oil.
On the smell of oil, down here there are laundromats with big washers and a few dryers that are strictly for oil field clothes.

Now how about a burger, waffle fries, onion rings and what other sides do you have. Coke to drink please or Pepsi. Not sure which one you have.

Yes some food outlets (that do both take away or eat there) can charge extra to eat on the premises.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. But then different countries, different ideas.
I cannot imagine having to take fish and chips home to eat them.
That to me would lead to soggy fish and cold chips. Or how do you keep the food hot?

Chips (Uk) are only good if they are hot.

Speaking of fish to go with the chips, what would be the traditional fish used, and/or what would be considered an acceptable fish?

Now how about a burger, waffle fries, onion rings and what other sides do you have. Coke to drink please or Pepsi. Not sure which one you have.

We don't do onion rings..again..too stinky..and we have both Coke and Pepsi but you have to get it yourself over in the cooler....lol...

It is a deli..sandwiches, burgers, salads, wraps..fine meats counter. Prime steaks, chops, kabobs. Cheese, Deli Salads, sliced meats. Shelves of imported things like pickles, olives, sauces...the specialty is the cook behind the counter....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom