Chorizo

A salad box for lunch today, from a small sandwich shop in town. Turkey, chorizo and roasted red peppers in mayo, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, red cabbage, olives, pineapple, sweetcorn and other bits I forget. Enough for two meals - £3.80. I politely suggested that other shops in the area were charging more for half as much. She pointedly said that maybe she should double her price then, and flounced off. I was only trying to be helpful!

I don’t eat chorizo, the texture puts me off, but I like the taste it gives to some dishes and if I’m cooking for people who like it I will add it.

I don’t eat chorizo, the texture puts me off, but I like the taste it gives to some dishes and if I’m cooking for people who like it I will add it.
Is it only chorizo sausage or do other types of sausage have a weird texture too? Because I have seen chorizo in different forms, sometimes crumbly and sometimes in a condensed link sausage form. I like the "loose" crumbly type personally for all types of sausage. I will add link sausage finely chopped to some dishes. I don't like the texture of the solidified links that look like this:
1601769288901.png

This is the one I like:
1601769928974.png

Hi JAS_OH1 the first ones I definitely don’t like. The second ones I never tried.

Hi JAS_OH1 the first ones I definitely don’t like. The second ones I never tried.
I think with me it's the casings and the density of how it's packed. I don't like casings, natural of otherwise. I think the first one is Spanish chorizo and the second one is Mexican chorizo? Mexican chorizo is raw and fresh, and it crumbles when cooked with the consistency of ground beef, only a much different color due to the seasonings.

I think with me it's the casings and the density of how it's packed. I don't like casings, natural of otherwise. I think the first one is Spanish chorizo and the second one is Mexican chorizo? Mexican chorizo is raw and fresh, and it crumbles when cooked with the consistency of ground beef, only a much different color due to the seasonings.
Yes I never seen Mexican chorizo in Portugal. It does seem like something I’d like to try.

Well I guess it would be very uncommon to find it over there, yes. If it's just a textural thing and not a flavor thing, you must be like me and not like that particular style of sausage. I find it very dense. If you like ground pork, I think you definitely would like the loose crumbly sausage. You could always try the recipe that CraigC posted. I plan on trying his when I get back from my trip, just a small batch because it's not something I use often.

My husband makes sausage every year with his cousins and I always have them leave off the casings for our batch. I really like the idea of knowing exactly what went into the sausage I am eating, so I rarely buy sausage when I know what cuts of meat and from which animal it came from with theirs. Buying it is a crapshoot that you are going to get pieces and parts you don't want to know about!

I think the first one is Spanish chorizo and the second one is Mexican chorizo?
I believe you're correct. I can get Mexican chorizo at my small-town Kroger. Spanish chorizo, I have to get at the specialty shop.

If I'm using the Spanish stuff, I always remove the casing and then prep it however the recipe calls for it, usually diced.

I believe you're correct. I can get Mexican chorizo at my small-town Kroger. Spanish chorizo, I have to get at the specialty shop.

If I'm using the Spanish stuff, I always remove the casing and then prep it however the recipe calls for it, usually diced.

For obvious reasons, I can get Mexican chorizo at any grocery store. I haven't looked for Spanish chorizo. I'll try to remember to look for some.

CD

According to epicurious:

'Mexican chorizo is typically seasoned with vinegar and chile peppers, while Spanish chorizo is made with garlic and pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika, either sweet or hot), which gives it its deep brick-red color and smoky flavor.'

Well, if this is correct, I know I would much prefer Mexican if I could get it. I'm not a fan of the chorizo we get here as its almost inevitably seasoned with smoked paprika. I find whatever dish you add it to, that smokey paprika taste takes over.

According to epicurious:

'Mexican chorizo is typically seasoned with vinegar and chile peppers, while Spanish chorizo is made with garlic and pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika, either sweet or hot), which gives it its deep brick-red color and smoky flavor.'

Well, if this is correct, I know I would much prefer Mexican if I could get it. I'm not a fan of the chorizo we get here as its almost inevitably seasoned with smoked paprika. I find whatever dish you add it to, that smokey paprika taste takes over.

All the Mexican chorizo I have eaten has been pretty hot -- chili pepper kind of hot.

CD

Back
Top Bottom