Club sandwiches, fillings please?

Some great ideas here! Personally, the classic bacon, lettuce and tomato (possibly with chicken) takes some beating. Not sure that avocado would work in a sandwich - you would need so much lemon juice to preserve it that the bread would end up soggy.

Yes, unless it is freshly made, or at least recently, you would be better off served by making an acidic (lemon and lime) guacamole.

Diced red onion, cilantro, acidic citrus, mashed avocado.

Sitill, spritz with lemon juice to preserve colour.

Bacon, lettuce and tomato are standard in a Club, the meat is the variation. Turkey is my favorite, but roast beast and ham are on most deli menus.

Some great ideas here! Personally, the classic bacon, lettuce and tomato (possibly with chicken) takes some beating. Not sure that avocado would work in a sandwich - you would need so much lemon juice to preserve it that the bread would end up soggy.

I've made avocado sandwiches in the past for vegan son's lunchbox. You don't need that much lemon. And if Waitrose sell them...

LN_871798_BP_11.jpg

wheat bread, three slices

bacon, ham, Turkey

lettuce, tomato, mayo.

stack it up

That's the closest to the classic Club sandwich I grew up with in New York City that was on all the menus.

A triple-decker sandwich of:
Bacon, turkey, (ham?) lettuce, tomato, on toasted white bread with mayonnaise.

The sandwich was sliced in wedges or triangles, and held together with toothpicks. Potato chips were sometimes served on the side, as I recall.

Growing up I used to eat at F. W. Woolworths aka the five-and-dime store lunch counter. They had a few different kinds of Triple Decker sandwiches. And a banana split was $0.39 lol.

If you Google club sandwich, on the whatscookingamerica site, you'll find a whole article on the history of the Club sandwich.

Last edited:
How about a Muffaletta (Italian cold cuts, Provolone and Olive Salad or Tapenade served on crusty round Boule bread? Or Pan Bagnat?

https://www.marthastewart.com/1090594/muffaletta

Please note this website (and quite a few other US websites are no longer available in Europe. This is due to changes in data protection laws. Most US sites such as Food52 (one of my favourites) have realised this and added a security step for European audiences. Sadly, quite a few like Meredith haven't done so.
Genius Kitchen (another very popular site) also falls into this category.

I guess the difficulty for folk in the US posting links is that you have no way of knowing which sites are available. I might see if I can provide a list of some sort. Sorry - off topic!

If you Google muffaletta sandwich and club sandwich, you should be able to find lots on the web. They are pretty classic sandwiches. I liked what's cooking America because they give you some history behind the food, again I'm sure you can find them on the web.

Muffaletta, the Italian immigrant contribution to NOLA. The original at Central Grocery. Mortadella, capocolo, soppressata, provolone and giardiniera. Built and weighted down to allow the bread to drink in some of the pickling juice from the giardiniera. Since we are talking about a NOLA sandwich, can't forget the Po'Boy.:okay:

Muffaletta, the Italian immigrant contribution to NOLA. The original at Central Grocery. Mortadella, capocolo, soppressata, provolone and giardiniera. Built and weighted down to allow the bread to drink in some of the pickling juice from the giardiniera. Since we are talking about a NOLA sandwich, can't forget the Po'Boy.:okay:

I guess @rascal could have some fun producing regionally themed club sandwiches! Bhan Mi perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom