CookingBites Dish of the Month (March): Burgers

I was inspired by @Yorky to make a burger with egg.
Unfortunately, I was rushed and had to use an old camera phone for the photo, so the picture quality is poor.

Here is what is on the burger:
  • 1 burger
  • 2 slices of extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • sriracha mayo
  • baby spinach leaves
  • grilled bell peppers
  • grilled feta cheese
  • grilled pineapple
  • 2 layers of bacon
  • 1 fried egg
my-everything-burger.jpg

Here is what is on the burger:
  • 2 slices of extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • grilled feta cheese

It stems back to my childhood that I've never liked cheese in a burger. It's the recollection of that horrible square plastic cheese which was popular in the UK in 60s and 70s (it could well still be popular).

It stems back to my childhood that I've never liked cheese in a burger. It's the recollection of that horrible square plastic cheese which was popular in the UK in 60s and 70s (it could well still be popular).

Do you mean the *stuff* that is individually wrapped in plastic? :D

If it helps at all, inspecting the label should reveal the following words: Processed Imitation Cheese which means it really wasn't cheese. So now, you can return to putting REAL cheese on your burger! :woot:

I love all the layers of ingredients - a bit unsure about the pineapple. Pineapple with egg sounds a tad eccentric! Its certainly original. :okay:
You caught me. I was cleaning out my fridge when I made this burger. Had pineapple left from the Hawaiian Pizza recipe. The bell pepper was a day from going bad. The feta and cheddar cheese are from huge bulk purchases. I always have bacon, eggs, and spinach.

What I had most fun with though was the fact that I grilled every ingredient on the same griddle. It was cool seeing bacon, pineapple, bell peppers, and an egg all cooking at the same time on the same pan. Rather a unique experience for me.

IMG_0335.JPG

I ended up taking part of the meat I used to make the Oxtail Bourguignon and ground it up into hamburger. Some of that went into a chili, and the rest went to make this. I was concerned about how dry the meat would be, so I added spinach to the patty...you can see the flecks of it in the meat. I then added fresh spinach, pickled onion, pickled pepper, and kimchi. Sorry, @TodayInTheKitchen: no bacon!

The poor bun didn't stand a chance with all that stuff piled up. I considered grilling last night, but it was around the freezing mark, and I didn't want to take forever doing it, so I pan fried it. It tasted good, so I'm not totally unhappy about not grilling.

View attachment 23013

I ended up taking part of the meat I used to make the Oxtail Bourguignon and ground it up into hamburger. Some of that went into a chili, and the rest went to make this. I was concerned about how dry the meat would be, so I added spinach to the patty...you can see the flecks of it in the meat. I then added fresh spinach, pickled onion, pickled pepper, and kimchi. Sorry, @TodayInTheKitchen: no bacon!

The poor bun didn't stand a chance with all that stuff piled up. I considered grilling last night, but it was around the freezing mark, and I didn't want to take forever doing it, so I pan fried it. It tasted good, so I'm not totally unhappy about not grilling.

I like the idea of adding spinach - I've been trying to develop a veggie burger idea using spinach.

Last edited:
Today's beef burger also with jalapeños. And lettuce, raw onion, tomato (and ketchup).

I went for the single cut of the sourdough roll as a double cut with all that slippery stuff inside makes it very difficult to control, even given my size 11 hands.

However, the innards still went to ratshit and I made a significant mess.

Back to the drawing board.

Back
Top Bottom