Cooler weather is coming ~ What dishes will you make?

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
1:14 PM
For most of us, the days of summer are shrinking, the sun is setting earlier, and you can smell autumn in the breeze. In our house, that means outdoor grilling and cold meals will be put aside for heartier fare. What are some of your favorite dinners for colder weather?

I like making soups, especially in a large pot. I aim for six generous servings so that we have some for dinner that night, enough for two nice servings later in the week, and a third meal-for-two that I squirrel away in the freezer. I'll make a huge pot of chicken soup, or my Mom's Ham and Bean Soup. I'll also make stews or one-pot meals with the same six-servings idea. I have a recipe for pork stew that we really enjoy (Classic Pork Stew), and another is Cuban-Style Picadillo. Finally, there are the casseroles such as macaroni-and-cheese, cottage pie, and scalloped ham and potatoes that make it to our table regularly.

What are some of your favorite cold-weather foods and recipes?

Classic Catalan & traditional Spanish primarily ..
1) Soups .. with seasonal vegetables ..
2) Lentils from Salamanca ..
3) Pasta e Fagioli ..
4) Paellas ..
5) Risotto with Boletus ..
6) Bolteus sautéed with Evoo, minced fresh parsley and minced lavender garlic ..
7) The daily fresh catch from the Mediterranean in oven ..
8) Cannellone stuffed with spinach or rocket and ricotta ..
9) Shellfish / Baby Octopus / Squid / Prawns ..
10) Game: Pheasant / Guinea Fowl .. / Venison tartare ..

Beef stew and suet dumplings. Although t'will be a while yet before we see our lowest temperatures of the average year.

Naturally I will say Texas style chili (no beans) with the gravy being tightened with stale corn tortillas (whizzed until fine) or masa if I have any.
Pantry items are always stocked for the seasons so I have everything on hand when the first breath of cool air blows thru.
Still waiting altho it did smell a bit fall-ish last week.
@toddhicks209 you get my thumbs up for that turkey and dressing...do y'all make the cornbread style?
Don't forget the cranberry sauce... esp for leftover turkey sandwiches.
Lots of great recipes for me to try...thanks everyone!

I haven't put beans in chili since my son told me he didn't like them at 7 years old. He'll be 40 years old in November this year.

Beef stew and suet dumplings. Although t'will be a while yet before we see our lowest temperatures of the average year.

We love that too. Do you make your dumplings from suet? I haven't made any for a long time. We both like meat pies too. Steak and kidney is a favourite of hubby.

Dumplings.
  • 150 gm Self-raising flour
  • 50 gm Suet
  • 1 tsp Choice of herbs
  • pinch of Salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 tblsp Cold water

When the temperature and humidity drop - has not happened yet - we call it "Gumbo Weather". Time to make a HUGE pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. There are only the 2 of us but while cooking I make enough to freeze.

Beefy veggie soup with a large assortment of veggies and both beef shank and beef chuck. Love the flavor and marrow from the shank. Again a very large pot with lots to freeze.

Hunting season will crank up in November. Sausage making time. Fresh venison /pork savory sausage, Italian Sausage, venison/pork breakfast sausage.

We have a smoker so venison/pork smoked sausage. Different herbs & seasonings for different flavor profiles.

George goes on a pheasant hunt in October. Smoked pheasant to use in Gumbo. While smoking the pheasant we also smoke a few chickens. Again for gumbo.

We always have a turkey carcass from Thanksgiving Dinner. That is a base for turkey/celery soup.

There is something about fall that brings out the hunter/gatherer in both of us. As if there was not a market 1/2 mile away from home.

When I cook fall or winter food I cook large batches. While cooking why not cook enough to freeze for later use? I make just as much mess cooking for 2 as I do cooking for a clan.

I may have to start cooking for gumbo weather before the crisp, cool days actually arrive. There have been times when we wore shorts at Christmas.

The joys, trials, tribulations and good eats of south Louisiana.

If any of you ever visit Louisiana PLEASE let me know and allow me to guide you to the best eats. The kind of restaurants that you don't know about unless you live here.

:oops: Off topic.

...When I cook fall or winter food I cook large batches. While cooking why not cook enough to freeze for later use? I make just as much mess cooking for 2 as I do cooking for a clan...
I hear you, sistah! There are winter days when I have a 4-or-more quart pot of soup bubbling on each of the four burners on my stove, each with a different soup. I come away with dinner for four nights running, plus enough in the freezer for another four meals. Of course, I'm good for absolutely nothing the next day, but I have soup we can eat! :laugh:

And why the long face with "Off Topic"? You just invited us all over to your place to party down on the bayou! One of these days we might call you on that offer.

Back
Top Bottom