Croquettes - do you make them from scratch?

Just looked up the "definition" of a croquette; originally French.
It's a "Small, savory or sweet mixture bound with thick sauce, coated, deep fried."
What could be better than that?? Crispy, crunchy, savoury (or sweet), soft in the centre.
In Spain, they're a fixture, the most famous being "Serrano Ham"
The other advantage, of course, is that you can use up bits & pieces from the fridge.

I make them once in a while, & they are cone-shaped like these!! I think it's time to do it again! It's been a while. :whistling:
Chicken Croquetts..jpg

It's a "Small, savory or sweet mixture bound with thick sauce, coated, deep fried."
What could be better than that?? Crispy, crunchy, savoury (or sweet), soft in the centre.
The other advantage, of course, is that you can use up bits & pieces from the fridge.

Yeah, you make an extra-thick bechamel sauce, then you add chopped onions, the chopped up chicken & spices, mix it all up, then refrigerate the mixture. This helps thicken it to a very stiff consistency. then you shape the cold mixture into balls, patties or cones, put them in the freezer if you like, bread & fry them until golden. I used to make them when I worked for a catering co. years ago!! I'm surprised that I still remember how to do it!!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
No onions in mine. And mine are cylindrical in shape. Deep fried and served with tomatoes and squirty mustard. Perfect accompaniment

Russ

Do arancini qualify as a croquette? I think we had a thread on croquette's awhile back.

Back
Top Bottom