Croquettes - do you make them from scratch?

I'm sure boudin balls don't count as croquettes... but they should. :hungry:

1691719461893.png

CD :D

It's a cultural thing, but I don't make them myself these days. I find them too labor intensive, and with my rheumatic hands it's a lot of uncomfortable work. I do buy them though, fortunately there's plenty of stores here that sell plenty of types of croquettes.
I used to make them when I was more able, mainly cheese croquettes because they're common in Belgium but less so in the Netherlands but they are my favorite. These days I buy them at the restaurant store or like yesterday, in Belgium.

Just as I was looking forward to an edifying discussion on croquettes, we had another thunderstorm, and a power cut. That was 6pm last night. The lights were restored at 8.30am today...
So I guess anything that's breaded and deep-fried in little balls, or cones or sausage shapes could qualify as a croquette; if we have to classify them, of course. I seem to recall that Spanish croquetas are usually served with aioli, but there must be a million options for a yummy sauce to go with whatever you're making, from ketchup and mustard to more complex mixtures.
I try to make a big lot when I do make them, and then freeze what I don't use immediately. That way you get into a rhythm making the croquettes, and I think that always makes things easier and quicker.

As for the arancini - yep, I suppose they're croquettes as well, although they're bigger than normal. Classic arancini are stuffed with minced beef or mozzarella. The advantage is (or should be) that you make them from leftover risotto.

I don't like croquettes and I never made them, but they're a super popular food here in Portugal, and they're always served at parties as an entrée. They're not fancy food, much on the contrary, they're cheap, "poor people's" food 😂 every birthday party of kids that are low to mid income features croquettes. Even the wealthy have them! It's a really democratic food 😂Barely no one makes them from scratch, people always buy them ready made and there are even people who make them to sell for parties.

They usually look much darker than the ones I've seen on this thread. They usually look like this
transferir.jpeg

I don't like croquettes and I never made them, but they're a super popular food here in Portugal, and they're always served at parties as an entrée. They're not fancy food, much on the contrary, they're cheap, "poor people's" food 😂 every birthday party of kids that are low to mid income features croquettes. Even the wealthy have them! It's a really democratic food 😂Barely no one makes them from scratch, people always buy them ready made and there are even people who make them to sell for parties.

They usually look much darker than the ones I've seen on this thread. They usually look like this
View attachment 103876

That's interesting. Are they served cold/room temperature?

I have served exactly the same as we had at a restaurant 40 years ago. With tomato wedges and squirty mustard.
They are perfect partners. Imho.
I need to make more for the freezer

Russ

And the filling is? I think most posted in this thread would be served hot.
Usually it's ground meat. A traditional recipe is something like this: Party Food Recipe: Portuguese Meat Croquetes • A Portuguese Affair

But barely anyone makes them at home. Every supermarket in Portugal sells frozen croquettes that you just need to fry (see Pic below) , and there are dozens of people who make them at home and sell them for parties, along with other fried delicacies that we usually eat on parties (this is an entire category of food here in Portugal, called salgadinhos, which literally translates to salted food lol).
468366_1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom