Cryptic food and drink

Does this clue contain a definition contained in it? I can't make head nor tail of it...

It's probably been about 15 years since I've done an English newspaper cryptic crossword. Perhaps they've become easier than they used to be ..

I wanted to make the clue thought-provoking - and tried to put it in the style of, say Auracaria - or the crosswords that were in the Observer and possibly The Spectator (not sure about the last reference). You already have a definition in as much as it's a reference to an item associated with 'food and drink'.

It used to take me about a day to solve one clue in The Observer crossword - I only posted this a few hours ago. Why not do what I used to do which is to break the clue down and see where it takes you?

But if this is really too hard (or not in the style of other clues in this thread) then - sorry !

If I really have to explain this, then I think you might be surprised as to how easy it actually is to crack/decode it.

You already have a definition in as much as it's a reference to an item associated with 'food and drink'.
I'm familiar with Araucaria, yes. Normally we include the definition part of the clue 'food and drink' is such a huge topic otherwise. Of course I will have a longer think.... I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a definition. It is quite a long clue considering there is no definition!

@Duck59, @Herbie any ideas on this one?

It is quite a long clue considering there is no definition!

OK ….here is an even longer version of the clue with at least a partial definition.

Odd Steven and little Robin Hood hid behind a short bend. The plot thickens! (10)

I have to say that this is a lot more fun than trying to link a recipe to a Challenge thread - and it's easier …..

I've had this nagging away for 24 hours without coming up with anything.

I had an 'instant' answer as soon as I saw the clue - but I can't see why it's right.

I'm not helping myself either by continuing to think of French names for fish.

So I'm bowing out of this one

Back
Top Bottom