Cryptic food and drink

I'm not giving up yet ….but I've got the same problem that I had with the fish. I keep coming up with 6-letter words for sweetie that are French, and although one or two of them may cross-over into English, most don't.

Can I ask a simple question? If the answer is a 'trade name' like 'loveheart' for example, (yes, I know that's nine letters) as opposed to something generic like 'toffee', then I'm declaring myself 'out' (I haven't been in an English sweetshop since the 1960s and haven't the faintest idea of what most sweeties are called).

But you wouldn't set an unfair clue, would you?

But you wouldn't set an unfair clue, would you?
Its an old fashioned sweet - not a trademark.

Sweet shops (old style) are quite popular and have made a come-back in the UK and they sell all the old favourites that you would recognise, straight from the jar. Sherbet Lemons, Pear Drops, Aniseed Balls etc...

Sweet shops (old style) are quite popular and have made a come-back in the UK and they sell all the old favourites that you would recognise, straight from the jar. Sherbet Lemons, Pear Drops, Aniseed Balls etc...

Really? that's astonishing - and quite heart-warming to know that.

I shall keep plugging away at that clue

No need, thanks - I got it. I was trying to be far too clever and took 'embracing is' to infer something wrapped around 'is', followed by 'a'.

Pear Drops got me going in the right direction ….

They are in most towns and markets round our way. I buy husband a quarter of ginger liquorice chews for a treat. :D

Time for a new one? I don't think this will take long to solve ….

Monsieur White before endless crib gets his just dessert (10)

Well done - I think the first two words give it away, but try as I might, I couldn't come up with a better intro

I'm having the afternoon off - I don't want any more difficult questions today from family, friends or neighbours

So here are two crossword clues (I've probably broken yet another rule, oh well). One quite hard, the other so easy it's a waste of pixels

Easy one: Fruit that goes greyer, boos when pickled (10)

Harder one: Headless hooves, tailless flick and empty lino when churned provides tincture (3, 2, 6)

If the answer to the harder one isn't strictly speaking an item of food and drink, I think it's close enough (are there any more rules left for me to break now?)

I'm having the afternoon off - I don't want any more difficult questions today from family, friends or neighbours

So here are two crossword clues (I've probably broken yet another rule, oh well). One quite hard, the other so easy it's a waste of pixels

Easy one: Fruit that goes greyer, boos when pickled (10)

Harder one: Headless hooves, tailless flick and empty lino when churned provides tincture (3, 2, 6)

If the answer to the harder one isn't strictly speaking an item of food and drink, I think it's close enough (are there any more rules left for me to break now?)

gooseberry and oil of cloves

Back
Top Bottom