Deep Fryer

DIna00

Veteran
Local time
10:28 PM
Do you have a deep fryer? Do you think it is a good purchase?

I have always wanted a deep fryer but am so careful how many machines and gadgets I add to my kitchen as I just don't have the room to store everything. I guess the other thing is I don't quite understand what you do with the oil - do you leave the oil in there and use your deep fryer as much as possible once you filled it with oil? Or do you toss the oil frequently? Doesn't it become expensive?

I have a deep fryer and use it mainly for chips (or fries). You don't have to use the fryer as much as possible when you have filled it - it's fine to use it over the course of around 3 weeks. When the oil needs changing, I just pour it back into an empty oil bottle (only do this when the oil is cool though!) and discard. My fryer takes a full litre of oil so it isn't expensive at all - it costs me around £1.10 every three weeks or so.

I have a small deep fryer and I am looking to invest in a much larger one soon enough. We mostly use ours for stuffed jalepenos, fries, deep fried fish, and other little fried pastries that I make. It was a good investment and I recommend one if you love to cook. I know that deep frying is not the best for you, but sometimes the food is just too good to resist.

We have a deep fryer at home but we are using it only when we are preparing foods for an event or on occasion in the house like a birthday party or a family get together which requires the use of a fryer for some dish that needs deep frying before serving. As much as possible for health reason we avoid eating fried foods and oily foods that is why our deep fryer is seldom use in our house.

Do you have a deep fryer? Do you think it is a good purchase?

I have always wanted a deep fryer but am so careful how many machines and gadgets I add to my kitchen as I just don't have the room to store everything. I guess the other thing is I don't quite understand what you do with the oil - do you leave the oil in there and use your deep fryer as much as possible once you filled it with oil? Or do you toss the oil frequently? Doesn't it become expensive?
Waring Pro Deep Fryer.jpg
Presto Options Multi-Cooker.jpg
Turk'N'Surf Electric Turkey Fryer..jpg
002.jpg

Here are my three.

On the far right is a pic of my 5-qt oil storage tank, which I keep the used oil in, except for what's used in the turkey fryer, which I've only used once so far. :wink:

I like the one on the far right, it looks big enough to suit all of my deep frying needs. I just need to find one that is not too terribly expensive. It is a shame I can't get one right now because we are going to have fish and chips over the weekend.

The one on the far right can accommodate up to a 14-lb turkey. Would you want something that big?

You would need 3 to 4 gallons, maybe more of peanut oil, which in & of itself is astronomically expensive!

Then, if you're not planning on deep frying another turkey anytime soon, the question then becomes;

What do you do with all that leftover oil? I don't mind deep-fried turkey, but it is the leftover oil that becomes the issue. What to store it in and how fast can it be used up before it begins to go rancid & spoil?!! :eek:

Last edited:
I have one but I do not know the last year I saw it. I don't do much frying and on the odd occasion when I do it's not a big amount. I'll usually just use a regular frying pan. It requires too much oil and in my case would only be a consideration for a big event. I have lots of those big appliances in my basement and I am unlikely to go checking for it anything soon. I must confess I like the ones in the pictures. I don't remember mine looking that good.

I used to eat lots of fried foods, but I don't now, mainly because I'm trying to lose weight. :wink:

I used to eat lots of fried foods, but I don't now, mainly because I'm trying to lose weight. :wink:

It's so very tempting though, so very tempting. I have to put up a really hard fight. The other day I went to my mom's house and they were frying some fishcakes and I just wanted to take the entire basket full and run:D, but I exercised great self control and only had a few. A deep fryer would be ideal for things like those fish cakes, but my mom is quite happy using a good old frying pan.

I have a deep fryer that was pretty reasonably priced & I tend to use it a lot when making french fries. Yes, I know I should bake them but at least I try to use different oils to kick up the potential that the greasy goodness is not as unhealthy.

I saw a thing on Youtube the other day, an American cook demonstrating deep fried cheesecake.

:eek::headshake::stop:

Back
Top Bottom