Do you bake bread - and if not, would you like to do so?

Do you bake bread?

• Yes, regularly

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Quite often

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No, it frightens me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't have time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you, but no thank you. Bread baking simply doesn't interest me. :) Not only has the price of food increased, but the size of food has decreased significantly as well.

We don't seem to have that many members here who make their own bread - but perhaps that is just my impression. Do you bake bread - if so, what types? And if not, why not? Join in the poll and tell us what types of bread you would like to learn to cook.

I have in the past. I would like to do it more often. I don't really have time. I used to make an Emeril Lagasse (spelling? ) crushed black pepper bread that was fantastic!!!

http://emerils.com/123653/black-pepper-bread

I ticked 'rarely' as its a long time since I made any bread but my favourite to make is rye bread. My Mum taught me the recipe with is mainly rye but with ordinary white flour added.

I make bread most week's - usually a large wholemeal loaf that lasts all week. Today we had run out and there wasn't time to make any for breakfast so I cheated with this:
IMG_0802a.jpg

Cloud bread. It's actually more of a dry omelette but it's a decent bread substitute and only takes 25 mins to make.

Has anyone made Panettone or Panettone French Toast? Posted this in a breakfast thread August 14.

On the holidays or special occasions, I might have pancakes with fresh fruit, a caprese strata, or (chocolate Chip) panettone French toast. Homemade is best, but World Market has delicious flavors like lemon, and fig.

61edte1dp8l-_sx355_-jpg.jpg

shopping.jpg
shopping.jpg

I've been on a waiting list for the chocolate and fig. They also carry mini Panettones. Great for gift-giving.

Last edited:
I used to make bread but failed repeatedly when trying to make gluten free bread. I spent an entire autumn and winter baking a loaf each day trying to get it right. I need to try again. I've done some flatbeds that are OK. I'll have to make and post.

I used to make bread but failed repeatedly when trying to make gluten free bread. I spent an entire autumn and winter baking a loaf each day trying to get it right. I need to try again. I've done some flatbeds that are OK. I'll have to make and post.

I empathise. I really do. Gluten free loaves don't work. I wish someone could prove me wrong. Flatbreads are possible, as you say. :okay:

I used to bake bread, but was never very good at it. Now the oven I have is not very efficient and I gave up on baking bread in it. My mother was a great baker - wheaten bread, soda bread and scones were produced regularly. I would love to have the same talent.

Gillian

I have never made bread and haven't been interested however we have been watching an old Nigel Slater programme and there was a bit in a bakery where they made chocolate bread with choc chips, that caught my attention because it was more savoury than sweet, had a quick look for a recipe but they have all been sweet and gooey which is not what I am looking for, more research needs to be done.

I have never made bread and haven't been interested however we have been watching an old Nigel Slater programme and there was a bit in a bakery where they made chocolate bread with choc chips, that caught my attention because it was more savoury than sweet, had a quick look for a recipe but they have all been sweet and gooey which is not what I am looking for, more research needs to be done.

When you say 'bread' was it made with yeast? It doesn't sound like anything I've seen him make and I've watched all his programmes. Do you know which programme it was?

The only recipe I can find of his which seems anything like you describe is this one, from Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers (it contains chocolate chips)

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/black_banana_cake_52982

black_banana_cake_52982_16x9.jpg

When you say 'bread' was it made with yeast? It doesn't sound like anything I've seen him make and I've watched all his programmes. Do you know which programme it was?

Nigel Slater's New Year Suppers, it was on BBC 1 at 11.30 this morning. Not sure how old the programme was as we only caught it part way through.

Nigel Slater's New Year Suppers, it was on BBC 1 at 11.30 this morning. Not sure how old the programme was as we only caught it part way through.

OK - its 2011. He visits a bakery in Sussex and one of the breads they make is an Italian bread with cocoa and chocolate chips.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x9c7b/nigel-slaters-simple-suppers-new-year-suppers

Unfortunately no recipe is included but I think I could probably approximate it if I gave it some thought.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 15.42.21.png

Back
Top Bottom