Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Only when cooking for family

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Always

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I don't dip at all

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
I'm usually only cooking for myself and my partner, so sharing germs isn't a big concern unless I'm sick, in which case I'll probably take the lazy route for dinner instead of cooking something anyway.

When I'm cooking or baking for a group though, I don't double-dip. I try to do like on all the Food Network shows where the chefs have a bunch of 'tasting spoons' ready to go. It was kind of hard to get into the habit at first, but I've done some cooking and baking for events on occasion so I had to make sure that I wasn't tasting and then re-using utensils.

No, I don't. Even if I'm the only person who will consume a dish, the thought of double dipping makes me feel a little queasy.

Saw a chef on Saturday morning cooking programme cooking a wood pigeon,go to double dip his spoon while tasting and was stopped by James Martin as it is really a no go ,especially on TV

When I am at home with my family, guilty as charged, but we all do, so it is ok. I am with SatNav in that I do not double dip when I am sick because there is nothing worse than a bunch of people sick living under the same roof!

I do not double dip when I am sharing food with people away from home, or if I am cooking for guests. I would rather clean a bunch of utensils than to gross out one of my guests.

I usually double dip when cooking for family, but I will occasionally sneak a double dip in other situations. I don't see it as a huge deal.

Yes, I double dip when I'm cooking but only when I am cooking for my immediate family. I agree, I figure the heat from cooking will kill any germs. Also I only do this if I'm not sick. If the extended family is over and I need to taste what I'm making I use a different spoon each time. I have an open concept kitchen and if everyone is in my living room they can see me cooking. I don't think it would go over too well with the inlaws.

Here, I mean 'double dipping' whilst cooking; putting the spoon from which you have tasted, back in for another taste. This means your 'germs' have been transferred to the pot.

I do it all the time! But that is when cooking for family. I wouldn't expect a chef in a restaurant to be doing that. But...would you do this if cooking for friends?
Yes, often, but usually only when cooking for family members. I do try to minimize the times I do this though, as we do have a lot of bacteria in our mouth. However, I think people have probably been doing this for years, and to my knowledge no one has ever died from it or become ill, so I don't see a problem with the practice necessarily. Just don;t taste and cook every 5 minutes.

Never. Preparing food is something that should not be taken lightly. Too many ways to get sick if it's not prepared in a proper manner. In my opinion, double dipping is unsanitary, even if you are only cooking for family members. You are essentially transferring your own germs and saliva into the recipe. How gross is that? Use one spoon to ladle onto another spoon, or use two spoons. IF I am cooking for myself, sure double dipping is fine. Finger tasting is OK to do if you use a different finger each time.

Also, don't be licking the utensils you're using to stir the recipe, and lay it down on the counter. You might forget that you licked it, pick it up again and reuse. It's OK to lick utensils and bowls after you are finished.

I think everyone knows it's a common thing that you just don't double dip! Lol

If it's dipping like a cracker/chip in dip...yes because I use the opposite side of the chip/cracker for the second dip.:cool: So, the part that I bit never touches the dip, but if I'm around strangers I won't even do that, incase people think I DID double dip.:p:

If it's dipping like a cracker/chip in dip...yes because I use the opposite side of the chip/cracker for the second dip.:cool: So, the part that I bit never touches the dip, but if I'm around strangers I won't even do that, incase people think I DID double dip.:p:
My understanding was that it was more a case of a teaspoon in soup to taste then reusing the same spoon afterwards to taste again.

Back
Top Bottom