Do you eat tinned (canned) food?

Which of the following tinned (canned) foods do you use?

• Vegetables (including corn but not tomatoes)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Beans and pulses

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Fruit

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Fish/shellfish

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Pasta

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Pies

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Puddings

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Soup

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Ok smaller but they do look like our hotdogs.

We have these also (empty pack):

hotdogsausagepack.jpg

They're 150mm (6") long.

These are my only tins at present (although there are more than one of some):

tinnedfoods s.jpg

Vegetables - normally only sweetcorn because I find most other tinned veg too mushy. But I do make an occasional exception for tinned mixed peas & carrots when camping (sometimes convenience wins).
Beans & pulses - I voted yes, but only for baked beans. Everything else I buy dried as its much cheaper and with the pressure cooker its almost as convenient (no need to remember in advance and soak them).
Fruit - don't buy tinned fruit at all
Meat - very occasionally corned beef - I'm not so keen buy hubby loves it. We also stock up on tins of Cassoulet when we're in France - not sure whether they belong under meat or beans & pulses tho but I've put them here coz I've already written a bit about beans & pulses ;-)
Fish - tinned sardines in tomato sauce make a nice quick lunch sometimes (mash them up a bit and serve on toast). I bought a huge pack a few years ago and am still working my way through them - luckily tinned stuff lasts for years and years!
Pasta - the only pasta I can think of is the stuff in tomato sauce - no thanks!
Tomatoes - yes yes yes...always have a good stock of these - they're useful for so many things
Pies - I voted yes but really it should be "when I have to" - hubby has a strange liking for Fray Bentos pies......
Puddings - we don't buy tinned puddings at all. I guess rice pudding is a popular one for this category, but I make my own in the pressure cooker. I also remember you used to be able to get really nice chocolate or syrup sponge puddings in tins (no idea if they're still available).

Interesting thread - turns out we eat a lot more tinned stuff than I originally thought. :D

Pies - I voted yes but really it should be "when I have to" - hubby has a strange liking for Fray Bentos pies......

What is with men and tinned pies? He ought to get together with @Yorky. My partner has also said he likes them. I had never realised before! Now I have promised to cook one for him!

Puddings - we don't buy tinned puddings at all. I guess rice pudding is a popular one for this category, but I make my own in the pressure cooker. I also remember you used to be able to get really nice chocolate or syrup sponge puddings in tins (no idea if they're still available).

It seema that heinz have discontinues all sponge pudding! See this tweet: Hi sorry that product is no longer available - we have discontinued the range of tinned sponge puddings.

I forgot to say which tins I have.
Tomatoes: (always), for all kinds of sauces, casseroles and stews.
Beans: I agree it is cheaper to cook your own but tinned black beans always taste better from a tin than when I cook them from scratch! Baked beans, chick peas, red kidney beans (which are ludicrously cheap in the UK), butter beans, broad beans, ful medames, borlotti beans.
Meat: Spam (my son and partner like it). Corned beef (ditto).
Soup: Heinz tomato (daghter likes it) plus Baxter's Game soup which I adore! I also like their Scotch Broth.
Fish: Lots of types: mackerel, sardines with and without tomato sauce, tuna, anchovies (always) - I use them in all manner of dishes, dressed crab (great in pasta sauce) and.... smoked oysters. :D
Fruit: Lychees (which are brilliant tinned and go well with seafood), pears (I am partial to tinned pears!).
Vegetables: Potatoes (I love tinned potatoes - don't get me wrong, I know they don't taste like fresh ones but they have a unique flavour), sweetcorn (I hate it but son likes it), mushy peas, artichoke hearts, celery hearts, hearts of palm.
Pasta: I don't buy the sort in tomato sauce but I rather like macaroni cheese!
Pies: I'm about to buy and try one.
Puddings: Custard (I'm lazy).

I forgot to say which tins I have.
Tomatoes: (always), for all kinds of sauces, casseroles and stews.
Beans: I agree it is cheaper to cook your own but tinned black beans always taste better from a tin than when I cook them from scratch! Baked beans, chick peas, red kidney beans (which are ludicrously cheap in the UK), butter beans, broad beans, ful medames, borlotti beans.
Meat: Spam (my son and partner like it). Corned beef (ditto).
Soup: Heinz tomato (daghter likes it) plus Baxter's Game soup which I adore! I also like their Scotch Broth.
Fish: Lots of types: mackerel, sardines with and without tomato sauce, tuna, anchovies (always) - I use them in all manner of dishes, dressed crab (great in pasta sauce) and.... smoked oysters. :D
Fruit: Lychees (which are brilliant tinned and go well with seafood), pears (I am partial to tinned pears!).
Vegetables: Potatoes (I love tinned potatoes - don't get me wrong, I know they don't taste like fresh ones but they have a unique flavour), sweetcorn (I hate it but son likes it), mushy peas, artichoke hearts, celery hearts, hearts of palm.
Pasta: I don't buy the sort in tomato sauce but I rather like macaroni cheese!
Pies: I'm about to buy and try one.
Puddings: Custard (I'm lazy).
Most people here buy boxed macaroni and cheese.

Back
Top Bottom