Do you make Scotch Eggs?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:49 PM
I do really good scotch eggs, or so everyone tells me. Free range eggs soft boiled, I use cling film on the bench and wet hands to make sausage meat about 5 mm thick then add a bit of tomato relish on the meat , flour egg then coat in the meat. Roll on breadcrumbs and deep fry. Voila!! My kids will drive for miles to get one.

Russ

I absolutely love them and they are specially good with soft boiled yolks. I also make Scotch eggs from Quails eggs wrapped in a a mix of black pudding and pork. I did once try making a vegetarian version by using mashed up kidney beans as the wrapping. It was reasonably successful but I think they may be better methods.

There might be a challenge here somewhere! I've never tried to make them, but it's now on the 'to do' list. Shop bought ones I find bland, but both the @rascal and @morning glory variations sound delicious.

I've always wanted to make them, but I'd have to find a relatively healthy version or I'll be eating them alone.

I've always wanted to make them, but I'd have to find a relatively healthy version or I'll be eating them alone.

They aren't particularly unhealthy. I mean there are quite small things compared to eating a burger or something - and the sausage casing is not a huge amount of meat and the eggs are not 'unhealthy' at all.

They aren't particularly unhealthy. I mean there are quite small things compared to eating a burger or something - and the sausage casing is not a huge amount of meat and the eggs are not 'unhealthy' at all.

You're preaching to the choir, but my wife has her own ideas.

I was thinking of using turkey or chicken sausage.

I found that you need about 4 ounces of sausage to fully encase a chicken's egg. I was surprised that I needed this much, but that's what it took to seal it completely. This makes it comparable to a hamburger. Maybe there's a way to get it to be thinner so there's less meat, but I haven't found out a way to do this.

I also posted a recipe for Scotch Quail Eggs; they needed half as much sausage. which makes sense for their smaller size. The "mama egg" in the picture below is a chicken egg, which I made for comparison purposes.

o5uZvfOYQsS6UTX6RyEA_IMG_0657.jpg

I've thought about trying them too every time I've seen them on 1 of the food shows, though I do like the idea of using quail eggs.

Here are the vegetarian ones I made (ages ago) using red beans as the casing. This was before I discovered the deep golden yellow yolked eggs I now buy. These are hard boiled.

Version 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom