Do you use a mandoline slicer?

Not if you were my late mum who was left handed, when I was growing up if I wanted a slice of bread, I had to cut the loaf back to a straight line, her bread always ended in a 30 deg angle. I'm right handed and cut perfect straight lines. My daughter is also a leftie, she's like my mum, hopeless at cutting.

Russ
It is a fact - bread knives come in both left and right handed versions. End up with the wrong one, and your slices will go horribly wrong.

Instead of a Mandoline Slicer, there is the option of a Guillotine Meat Slicer. They are apparently, preferably made of wood and all too often, called Salami Slicers.

Well all right! Now you folks have gone and done it. I've wound up with two deadly weapons.

MandolineSlicers.jpg

I now have the Benriner No. 94 and No. 120 Mandoline Slicers. And I still have all my fingers.

I have an Oxo mandolin. it does slicing most expertly.
it has a pin-cap top - typically I do "most" of "something" free hand, then use the safety cap to finish.
mis-used you will bleed. used with common sense, not a single problem.

I look forward to using these Mandoline Slicers. And per an earlier discussion, I want to test if they will cut certain cold cuts, like Salami, Pepperoni, Coppa and Sopresatta. There is some indication that they will do that, if the meat is partially frozen. I am also curious whether they can be used to do Shaved Ice.

I've only ever used a mandoline to slice vegetables. It's a requirement whenever I make pickled onions, kimchi, or anything where I want uniform slices. I'm sure you're right, flyinglentris, about needing to par-freeze the meat first. The mandoline works perfectly on radishes, carrots, onions, and other things that are firm. I've tried using it on peppers, and it inevitably does a few perfect slices before it ends up smashing the pepper...basically telling me to just cut it by hand. Even firm meats, like salami, have some give to them.

I did end up finding an electric deli slicer when I helped clear out my in-law's basement. Other than the risk of losing a finger, it was perfect for slicing salami.

Well all right! Now you folks have gone and done it. I've wound up with two deadly weapons.

View attachment 52731

I now have the Benriner No. 94 and No. 120 Mandoline Slicers. And I still have all my fingers.

Long as you use the guard when slicing near to the end of something you should be fine. I've been using one for many years with no accidents. With knives however, I've cut myself more than once and once severed a tendon in my thumb!

The only way you can cut yourself on a mandolin is by holding the food with your fingers and no guard and slicing right down to the last bit. If slicing a potato you can start it off by holding it in your fingers then switch to a guard when about half way through.

I am also curious whether they can be used to do Shaved Ice.

I'd never heard of this (its a US thing) but looking it up it isn't actually 'shaved' but pulsed to a sort of semi slush. I can't see how a mandolin could possibly achieve that. Unless you mean something else by 'shaved ice'.

I'd never heard of this (its a US thing) but looking it up it isn't actually 'shaved' but pulsed to a sort of semi slush. I can't see how a mandolin could possibly achieve that. Unless you mean something else by 'shaved ice'.

Here they use what appears to be an upside down block wood plane. Seems to work.

Last edited:
comment from someone who did the mandolin shaved ice thing:

it works, once.
the blade(s), intended for vegetables, are very sharp and very thin - but not after shaving the ice

Back
Top Bottom