Do you use a teacup or a mug?

I know it may be odd but here in the UK large tea sets seem to go at auctions for ridiculous prices [and I mean CHEAP] and mugs seem to be quite expensive bought [as they often are] one at a time. Use the china - makes the brew feel special and it's cheaper !

Must of the time I drink my tea from a mug. When I have friends over we use the china cups and the tea does taste different in the thinner cup.

Those pics are funny.:happy::happy::happy: I am a mug person but I expect most of the English would prefer a tea cup. The tea cups I own are apparently just for display purposes as they have not been used in years.

I only ever drink out of glasses or mugs. Never a cup. I usually have an old metal thermal mug which I use for camping and keeps things hot for about an hour and warm for quite some time afterwards. It was purchased +25 years ago when the idea of thermal mugs was unheard of and they were not cheap. It doesn't have a lid, but I have never lost it or damaged it and it is absolutely excellent. It is made in Japan and has markings down the inside with measurements on it. We both have one. My husband's is 250ml big and mine is 350ml.
Otherwise the glasses are Victorian glasses (as in glasses made in the Victorian era) and as such whilst heavy and 'clunky' in design rarely if ever break when dropped and in this household that is a key to survival. It could also explain why they are so old! :laugh:

PS - I don't even own a cup and saucer! not one single one of them.

I have a Japanese tea set with authentic little cups, and I do mean little. I have not used the tea set yet because the cups and the tea pot are so tiny. It is one of the ceremonial tea sets and I do look forward to using it at some point. For my everyday tea drinking needs, I use a regular mug. I would like to invest in some nice tea cups that traditional British people use for drinking tea, but I have not gotten around to purchasing them yet.

I always use a mug, something that made people stare a bit during the times I worked in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Tea there is served in small glasses, a bit like whisky tumblers. What's more it is served very, very sweet. It's more a case of 'how much tea would you like with your sugar?' than the other way round. The trick is to learn how to say 'without sugar' as soon as you can. This is not always a guarantee - sometimes, the tea is made like this (in offices, canteens and roadside cafes, for example), so my solution was to have as much lemon as I could to nullify the sweetness a bit.

I am glad you told me this and shared the link. I meant to check it out. For a bit I could not be sure if it was just a joke and even wondered if the first picture was in fact you having your mug of coffee. My next question would be if people would use it and perhaps the answer is 'yes'. Even after confirming they are real it's still funny I think.
COFFEE, COFFEE!
I'm a tea drinker. And the most I've drunk in one night is 32 pints, using a Trangia pan as a cup.

COFFEE, COFFEE!
I'm a tea drinker. And the most I've drunk in one night is 32 pints, using a Trangia pan as a cup.
CLASSIC33! Is it really you????? That's a crazy amount of coffee! You've got to be kidding. I have to tell you I'd invest in the mug for the fun of it. That twenty nine pounds I saw online is going to be about seventy of my dollars. Maybe I am not in any rush for that pricey ornament.

CLASSIC33! Is it really you????? That's a crazy amount of coffee! You've got to be kidding. I have to tell you I'd invest in the mug for the fun of it. That twenty nine pounds I saw online is going to be about seventy of my dollars. Maybe I am not in any rush for that pricey ornament.
I'm a tea drinker, not coffee.

That cup is available in the US at around $50 though.

I'm a tea drinker, not coffee.

That cup is available in the US at around $50 though.

$50US is about $100 in my currency. However I do the maths this toy is going to be expensive for me.I am not a coffee drinker myself.Because it has been a subject here I've had the odd cup not to be left out. I am really not a big user of hot beverages which some say isn't good. I go through phases. My last phase was green tea with some lemon and that was because Dr. Oz made it sound like "a cure all".

I have a Japanese tea set with authentic little cups, and I do mean little. I have not used the tea set yet because the cups and the tea pot are so tiny. It is one of the ceremonial tea sets and I do look forward to using it at some point. For my everyday tea drinking needs, I use a regular mug. I would like to invest in some nice tea cups that traditional British people use for drinking tea, but I have not gotten around to purchasing them yet.

That sounds as if that could be fun, setting up a ritual for certain special times. I've seen them, but have never used one. I do tend to use tall thick mugs, but when I don't care for as much volume, I will use my pretty teacups. I like the idea of having a ceremonial tea set.

Who said all cups & saucers(the fancy stuff) are small. Normal debit card sat inside the cup.
CAM00110.jpg

Back
Top Bottom