Drinking beer direct from the bottle

@The Late Night Gourmet

Yu reminded me of the time Dad decided to make beer. I was very young (elementary school) and do not remember all of the details. I know he used brown bottles and had some gadget for capping. He put his precious bottles in the kitchen cabinet to age. One night we were all awakened in the wee hours of the morning by what sounded like a barrage of gun fire. The beer bottles had exploded! :hyper:

Beer and glass EVERYWHERE!! We all pitched in but my poor Mother had the brunt of the clean up. Every surface in the kitchen had to be scrubbed down. We would find tiny bits of glass for weeks after.

Moral of the story - do not store beer bottles on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets.

BTW - Dad sold his beer making equipment.
When I was young, Mum used to make ginger beer and stored it on top of the kitchen cabinet out of [my] reach. We often used to hear the corks popping or the bottles exploding. The ginger beer that did survive was delicious, but I've always been wary of trying to make it myself, mainly because I do not relish the thought of dog and cats tiptoeing around in shards of broken glass.

More recently, my ex and I used to make our own beer (usually a rich stout which was somewhat akin to Guinness). It was always made in the garage :laugh:

So what do you use it for? Storing beer? I am a little dense today.
That's beer brewing equipment. I would use this sort of setup as a secondary fermenter. Once boiled, I would put the wort (as the barley/hops/water mixture is called) into a large plastic bucket sort of thing with yeast and sugar (or powdered malt...my preference):

bucket65__99589.jpg

Some people leave it in this vessel until it's time to bottle (usually about 4 weeks). But, I always transferred it to something like what @classic33 showed at the halfway mark, to filter the beer. I think some people may choose to go straight into the glass vessel (which I knew as a carboy), but I always worried that the heat of the boiled wort would crack the glass. That S-shaped contraption allows the beer to "breathe" without contaminating the batch: the gas is released through a sort of airlock system, which allows it to escape.

The more I talk about this, the more I want to get back to brewing beer! But, I have to face facts: beer brewing stinks up the house, and it's still much too cold to keep the windows open to ventilate. Heck, the one thing I hear the most often when I'm cooking (late at night, of course), is "ROB...TURN ON THE FAN!!" :laugh:

Last edited:
Transferred and filtered as it went into them, from the bucket. Can you imagine the mix getting too active and blowing the lid off the bucket!

The airlock was effective/worked when part filled on either side. The bucket has a different type fitted, for the same reason.

Has anyone had draft beer where nitrogen was used to pressurize the kegs? The bubbles are much smaller which seems to create a smoother beer. Nitro Bob, my buddy in California, was involved with a micro brewery that charged their kegs with nitrogen. I'll never for get the very tasty Kilt Lifter Stout!

I'm not usually drinking that much that would cause a hangover anyways. Especially when I'm at the poker table because too much drinking doesn't usually equate into a profitable evening
I never drink when I gamble for the same reason...even a small amount impairs my judgement more than I think it does. And, I also don't drink nearly as much as I did in my young-and-foolish-and-indestructible youth. The body just doesn't recover the same way as it did when it gets older.

I never drink when I gamble for the same reason...even a small amount impairs my judgement more than I think it does. And, I also don't drink nearly as much as I did in my young-and-foolish-and-indestructible youth. The body just doesn't recover the same way as it did when it gets older.

I hear you. However when I'm gambling in my basement I like to sip on a bourbon. However by no means am I getting hammered up.

We also play relatively low stakes so a bad night maybe cost you a couple hundred dollars. Well unless you're John he likes to gamble more than the next guy.

I've heard of this happening. Sometimes, the wort bubbles up and clogs the airlock, so the gas can't escape.
Or the gas can't escape quick enough. As happened with the demijohns.

They used to give a figure of how many bubbles per minute, for the airlock. Too many and it needed moving somewhere cooler.

I'm not usually drinking that much that would cause a hangover anyways. Especially when I'm at the poker table because too much drinking doesn't usually equate into a profitable evening
Why's the glass at an odd angle?

Back
Top Bottom