Drinking beer direct from the bottle

Has anyone had draft beer where nitrogen was used to pressurize the kegs? The bubbles are much smaller which seems to create a smoother beer. Nitro Bob, my buddy in California, was involved with a micro brewery that charged their kegs with nitrogen. I'll never for get the very tasty Kilt Lifter Stout!

In the UK they used nitrogen filled "widgets" in canned beer to produce a creamy head. Maybe they still do.

The Daily Mash:

"EXPERTS cannot work out why anyone would buy a small, expensive bottle of beer in a pub.

Researchers at the Institute for Studies found no reason to buy a little bottle of beer in an environment where you can get twice as much beer of superior quality for the same price.

Professor Henry Brubaker said: “Maybe bottled beer drinkers just like the pretty labels, or feel it is useful to be holding a potential weapon in the event of a sudden brawl.

“Other than that, we are at a loss. Perhaps there’s some deep psychological reason to do with bottles looking a bit like penises, or being able to scratch off the labels to relieve sexual tension.

“People buying bottled beer in pubs is one of mankind’s great unsolved mysteries, like the Marie Celeste or who built those Inca temples with the weird UFO pictures.”

Bottled beer fan Stephen Malley said: “I’ll sometimes have something called a ‘Birra Morretti’ which is a mediocre foreign lager that works out at six quid for half a pint.

“I think it dates back to when I was 13 and thought bottles of Budweiser were incredibly cool even though ‘Bud’ tastes of nothing but marketing.”"

I know people whose first drink in a pub is always a bottle of what they'll be buying by the pint the next time.

With regards the Marie Celeste, would that be the first time or the third time?
Odd sailing history that ship.

In the UK they used nitrogen filled "widgets" in canned beer to produce a creamy head. Maybe they still do.
We used to buy large cans (about 4 or 5 pints) of beers that came with a large tap to pierce the can with. Most people used a hammer to bash the tap into the can - could be fun if they were too heavy handed. Not quite like draught beer, but nicer than bottled. Canned draught Guinness if about the best one of the lot, and ring pull cans are ideal.

We'd never mix bottled or ordinary canned Guinness with draught Guinness. They do not taste the same at all. If you start off on bottled Guinness, you carry on drinking bottled Guinness; same with draught.

Back
Top Bottom