Eating at the theatre

Have to ask what are minstrels? Google was no help.
They are little chocolates covered in a hard candy shell.

images-29.jpeg

When I go at theatre or at cinema, there's always someone who eat or drink something during the show....:thumbsdown::mad: it's a very rude thing... mmmm crunch chips make me crazy :hyper: and very annoyed :ninja:I can't say every ten minutes "sshhh" .. I think someone must to proibite to bring in the food...maybe only water..you won't die of hungry for at least 1 hour and half and I will enjoy the show.

We don't go to the cinema anymore. The cinemas by us are rather pricey, and I don't really want to sit in a crowd of people doing exactly what this BBC article writes about. Rather, I can kick up my legs on the arm of my snuggler chair (big enough for average people, smaller than a love seat), prop my head on a pillow against the other arm, and watch in peace and quiet. Hubby is kind enough to hit the pause button if I need to wander to the "library", or if either of us want to get a snack. A snack that doesn't bother anyone else but us. Heck, sometimes we plan a movie to watch during our supper time, then eat our meals off lap trays while watching the movie!

As far as live theatre? As someone who has done a number of shows in community theatres, I think those people should be shot. Food? Gone. Drink? No. And WHY did you spend good money (albeit a much smaller ticket price than a professional show, but still...) to come and sit in the front row and discuss your latest vacation with a friend at either side of you babbling back and forth in the FRONT row?
t1950.gif

In theatre, above all, people must be in a religious silence. Those who have to grasp something like they were in the living room watching tv. And then why do I have to be pervaded by the smell of paprika chips or the annoying noise of packing bags, while I'm focused on seeing something I like and unfortunately being forced to share with some people? Here, in these moments I lose diplomacy and understanding. But I can not do the sheriff! Then I would not enter the room with snacks, drinks, etc.
Not to mention whoever forgets the mobile on ... and answers! Or send messages! Once an actor has interrupted his performance and the whole audience turned to look at this person. Absurd.

I have been to several theatres ranging from the English National Opera house to the South Holland Centre in Spalding (which hosts films, plays, musicals, and several other local entertainment events) and the tiny Brookside theatre in east London which at most can only accommodate about 70 people. All of these have separate eating and drinking areas and you are not allowed to take any food or drink into the auditorium. People who do so are asked to leave, as are people who use their mobile phones in there for any reason. Filming on mobile phones is not allowed usually because of rights issues, but Act II (the drama school both my granddaughters go to) usually video their performances at the Spalding Centre (although they weren't allowed to when they presented Cats :mad:).

Queen's Theatre in east London does have some events on in the public areas where you are/used to be allowed sometimes to bring in and eat your own food as well as food bought on the premises but these are usually lunch time music events where the music is more "background accompaniment" rather than an actual proper performance, in which case you are not allowed to eat or drink while the performance is in progress.

Similarly with the Café in the Crypt in the West End, but the clue here is in the name of the establishment. You can buy and eat food there but for proper events (such as the Jazz concert I once went to there) you can only buy meals up to a certain time (usually about 3/4 of an hour or so before the performance starts), which gives most people time to eat and for the tables to be cleared.

Cinemas, however, seem to be another story - although the usual town centre cinemas where I live seem to attract people who like to munch, talk and phone their way through everything. Both of them are next to large supermarkets, and in both I have experienced having to clamber across people's shopping when going to daytime performances! It's many years since I've been to cinemas in the West End (a couple of narrow escapes from IRA bombings in the 1970s slightly dampened my enthusiasm), so I can't really comment although I do remember slurping my way through a number of ice creams and munching packets of crisps, which in those days were sold in the auditorium in the interval, so the cinemas obviously encouraged it.

I did go to see the stage production of the farce Big Bad Mouse (starring Jimmy Edwards and Eric Sykes) in the mid-1960's. When I went, someone dared to turn up and go to their seat after the performance started, and the whole thing ground to a halt while Jimmy Edwards gave him a very tongue-in-cheek lecture and asked him to leave. On another occasion, when Prince Charles was in the audience, someone fell asleep, so Jimmy Edwards got the orchestra to play the National Anthem, whereupon said person thought it had finished, got up and left. The performance then carried on as "normal" - English humour at its finest. I hate to think what would have happened if someone had started eating :roflmao: :giggle:

Having been to a number of Broadway shows over the years, I can't recall anyone ever eating during a stage performance. Maybe a sip of water or a bite of a protein bar snuck from a handbag, but never openly eating. Unless, of course, it was something called a dinner theatre, in which case you are served a meal during various performances.

Now movie theatres are an entirely different animal. If you guys are disturbed by a little crunchy food, you wouldn't survive 5 minutes in the movies in an African-American neighborhood. People shouting warnings or opinions at the screen, or crying, loud arguments, or boisterous laughter; it's quite an experience.

But like going to a ballgame and having a hot dog and a beer, having a soda and popcorn at the movies goes hand in hand.

With the overdriven, ear drum splitting Dolby surround systems in almost every theatre (and don't forget IMax 3D), I don't know how you can hear anyone eating. Heck, in an action adventure flick, you couldn't hear a woman have a baby or someone get murdered, let alone a noisy bag of snacks.

Having said that, we almost always order a Coke (the small one that could satiate a village), a small popcorn, and a nachos and cheese. The nachos are just little round corn crisps that are served in a box with a small tub of melted nacho cheese sauce.
Now, the best way to enjoy this is to take a chip (crisp), dip it half way into the nacho cheese, then dip the cheesy crisp into the popcorn so some of the popped kernels stick, and voila'! A mouthful of cheesy, crispy, popcorny goodness.

:popcorn:

Having been to a number of Broadway shows over the years, I can't recall anyone ever eating during a stage performance. Maybe a sip of water or a bite of a protein bar snuck from a handbag, but never openly eating. Unless, of course, it was something called a dinner theatre, in which case you are served a meal during various performances.

Now movie theatres are an entirely different animal. If you guys are disturbed by a little crunchy food, you wouldn't survive 5 minutes in the movies in an African-American neighborhood. People shouting warnings or opinions at the screen, or crying, loud arguments, or boisterous laughter; it's quite an experience.

But like going to a ballgame and having a hot dog and a beer, having a soda and popcorn at the movies goes hand in hand.

With the overdriven, ear drum splitting Dolby surround systems in almost every theatre (and don't forget IMax 3D), I don't know how you can hear anyone eating. Heck, in an action adventure flick, you couldn't hear a woman have a baby or someone get murdered, let alone a noisy bag of snacks.

Having said that, we almost always order a Coke (the small one that could satiate a village), a small popcorn, and a nachos and cheese. The nachos are just little round corn crisps that are served in a box with a small tub of melted nacho cheese sauce.
Now, the best way to enjoy this is to take a chip (crisp), dip it half way into the nacho cheese, then dip the cheesy crisp into the popcorn so some of the popped kernels stick, and voila'! A mouthful of cheesy, crispy, popcorny goodness.

:popcorn:

And without chewing! wow:speechless:

At the stadium to see a football match, or to watch a basketball game, or to attend a sports event anyway, obviously the thing is very different. I take snacks myself, it's normal. Everyone shouts and encourages the team, it is a normal situation. But in a theatre no. I'll eat my nails at least! It's true that there is Dolby Sorround in the cinema that combs your hair, but when you have someone who eats chips right next to you or in front of you, you hear it.

Back
Top Bottom