Eating it raw

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
8:33 AM
Bit surprised at the response to admitting having eaten raw beetroot. So I'm wondering, am I alone in eating raw vegetables, once cleaned. The only other one that I'm thinking may be classed as odd/unusual is onions.

I'm not going to allow eating carrot sticks, as they were a health fad a few years ago. What vegetables have you eaten raw? Own up!

Nah ,the process of cooking makes food more palatable ,no beetroot ,has to be cooked,for me , eat loads of it boiled and or pickled ,the raw juice I made lately with celery was a unusual taste it burnt my throat in a strange way
I've seen people chow down on whole onions ,again I like a raw onion and cheese sarnie ......
Lots of veg I won't even serve aldente such as swede or parsnip ,celeriac I can eat Raw in a salad

Cauliflower, cabbage (not unusual as its used in coleslaw), onions, I could say lettuce, tomato, celery etc. but presume you are excluding classic salad veg. Peas and beans straight from the pod - rare treat! Sugar snap peas - these are delicious uncooked and all kinds of green bean. Fennel, Horseradish and Mouli.

Quie a lot, now I come to think about it...

Cauliflower, cabbage (not unusual as its used in coleslaw), onions, I could say lettuce, tomato, celery etc. but presume you are excluding classic salad veg. Peas and beans straight from the pod - rare treat! Sugar snap peas - these are delicious uncooked and all kinds of green bean. Fennel, Horseradish and Mouli.

Quie a lot, now I come to think about it...
Mushrooms!

Apart from usual salad veggies I've eaten cauliflower and broccoli raw, a lot of the time friends do a bit of a "veggie platter" with some sort of dip and they'll have carrot sticks, celery sticks, strips of red peppers, and bite size pieces of broccoli or cauliflower (or both) on the platter.

Surprisingly good, and crunchy...anything tastes good if the dip is yummy, though!

I eat virtually all veg raw.
Onions are normal raw or cooked.
Mushrooms I love raw (except the would ones which need to be cooked in order not to be poisonous)
Beans, peas, pea shoots, cucumber, peppers, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower I routinely eat raw. Celery is another. Runner beans, broad beans,

Aubergine, sweetcorn/corn on the cob and potatoes I don't eat raw though.
I suppose fennel is usually but not always cooked as well.

Name some more and I'll let you know.

If I can not eat it raw I sometimes try to blanch it. Some of the vegetables I tried eating raw are Japanese radish, fern from a fern salad, onion and red chilies

I remember as a child we would eat raw turnips with a sprinkle of brown sugar. I have eaten lots of vegetables raw like potatoes, parsnips, onions, beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, peppers, of course lettuce, carrots and celery and anything that you would toss up in a salad. Raw veggies have so much flavour.

If I don't have onions in my kitchen I feel lost, but I can't imagine eating it raw in the true sense of the word. Taking a bite of an onion seems weird to me but I will try it today. I don't know there is much of anything I like raw in this department. Even something like a raw cucumber gives me trouble. I think I like most vegetables dressed up not just left naked in from of me to eat.

I remember as a child we would eat raw turnips with a sprinkle of brown sugar. I have eaten lots of vegetables raw like potatoes, parsnips, onions, beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, peppers, of course lettuce, carrots and celery and anything that you would toss up in a salad. Raw veggies have so much flavour.
I'm not alone then, on this one.

my love for beetroot took me to a new level this morning ,feeling I had taken a dismissive approach to eating it raw I had some golden and purple bunches in for juicing for savoury jams,but took one of each washed peeled and julienne cut it and I mean really fine ,marinated it with some lemon and cummin and salt and it was not to bad had it with some mini goats cheese rocket and sour cream,the gold was softer ,but with a bit of love it was ".....well different "

my love for beetroot took me to a new level this morning ,feeling I had taken a dismissive approach to eating it raw I had some golden and purple bunches in for juicing for savoury jams,but took one of each washed peeled and julienne cut it and I mean really fine ,marinated it with some lemon and cummin and salt and it was not to bad had it with some mini goats cheese rocket and sour cream,the gold was softer ,but with a bit of love it was ".....well different "

No marinating Berties...because if marinating is allowed, then I probably had it raw. I remember grating it as a child and adding some lime and more (can't remember) ingredients. Thumbs up for getting to it right away. I am still to have some raw onions.... just a taste of onion. Maybe I had some of it already without thinking..........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom