Eating it raw

When I was a child I insisted that I had my vegetables served raw. When everyone else was eating cooked cabbage, I had a bowl of crisp raw shredded cabbage. I loved the taste of peas straight from the pod.

Now I eat more cooked vegetables, but I still like to eat a lot of raw ones, including carrots, onions, mushroom, white cabbage and cauliflower.

I remember as a child we would eat raw turnips with a sprinkle of brown sugar. I have eaten lots of vegetables raw like potatoes, parsnips, onions, beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, peppers, of course lettuce, carrots and celery and anything that you would toss up in a salad. Raw veggies have so much flavour.
Potatoes? I thought they were poisonous when raw...?

No marinating Berties...because if marinating is allowed, then I probably had it raw. I remember shredding it as a child and adding some lime and more (can't remember) ingredients. Thumbs for getting to right away. I am still to have some raw onions.... just a taste of onion. Maybe I have some of it already without thinking..........

Reporting back. Bought and munched into a raw beetroot (did not even julienne it). Brushed off some dirt and went straight in. Nice tooth marks (glad I had my front teeth fixed). Well...I don't get it. The earthy taste is there but the sweetness of cooked beetroot isn't. So its a bit one-dimensional in taste, in my opinion. Marinating it would improve that I suppose. Did you try biting into an un-marinated beetroot @Berties?

Reporting back. Bought and munched into a raw beetroot (did not even julienne it). Brushed off some dirt and went straight in. Nice tooth marks (glad I had my front teeth fixed). Well...I don't get it. The earthy taste is there but the sweetness of cooked beetroot isn't. So its a bit one-dimensional in taste, in my opinion. Marinating it would improve that I suppose. Did you try biting into an un-marinated beetroot @Berties?
You finished it yet? What about the parsnip?

So I took a bite of raw onion this afternoon: well yesterday afternoon looking at the time. It was not horrible, but I was glad I had a piece of cheese dealing with at the time so I could use it as a "chaser" so to speak. On everything I eat with other garnishes, fine...just popping a piece of onion in my mouth and chewing- no thank you.

I'll try any thing raw , within a reason but I do revert to the principle that cooking makes food palatable in a lot of cases either chemical or heat , juicing is the way for me to hit the raw scene and we do juice a lot , then there's another chain of thought that fresh veg should be eaten within 30 mins of picking or digging as a lot of nutrients diminish rapidly , if any one has any facts in this maybe time to start a new thread , how quick do you eat your veg from garden to fork and its advantages

I ate on the go, having pulled and given them a quick wash/clean.
Less than five minutes!

g
I'll try any thing raw , within a reason but I do revert to the principle that cooking makes food palatable in a lot of cases either chemical or heat , juicing is the way for me to hit the raw scene and we do juice a lot , then there's another chain of thought that fresh veg should be eaten within 30 mins of picking or digging as a lot of nutrients diminish rapidly , if any one has any facts in this maybe time to start a new thread , how quick do you eat your veg from garden to fork and its advantages
By the time I am through here, I am going to be a food genius. I started to look at this idea of the vegetables losing their nutrients. For a minute it started to sound like they were talking about humans. There is talk of respiration and enzymes and the like. That said I am just prepared to be a student. Today I might take a bite of some other out of the ordinary raw veg.

Last edited:
Do Not google that.

So as promised I tried a bit of something raw this weekend. I was preparing some okras, and I cut a small piece off the top and had a bite. It was a very tiny piece but I have to confess, it was quite good. Perhaps next time I will take a bigger bite.

Back
Top Bottom