Fishcakes ?

This fishcake sounds good. When I think of fishcakes it brings to mind something like what they sell at McDonalds, not something I suggest to people.

This fishcake sounds good. When I think of fishcakes it brings to mind something like what they sell at McDonalds, not something I suggest to people.
What they look like.
yorkshire_fishcake.jpg

When we were kids we ate fish cakes at least once a week. My Dad was a fisherman so there was no shortage of fish around our house. I come from a big family so it was something that could go a long ways and was very filling. I have had fish cakes that different people have made but I always preferred the ones that my Mom cooked. You don't see them around too much these days though.

I have never tried nor heard of that recipe yet. The fishcake I am aware of is the one I saw from a Korean cooking video. They combined several seafood like a cuttlefish and so on and mashed them to form a dough. They then formed them into long strips and fried them using skewers. The dip adds some layer to the taste of the final product

Just for your information, if there are any slices of potato left yet no fish, they may be similarly deep fried in batter and are then called "scallops".

Last edited:
Not a shortcut at fish & chips, given that you'd normally be buying chips with it.

It's not a shortcut and yes, they would normally come with chips. They were cheaper than fish therefore you could sometimes afford two!

Cooking Yorkshire fishcakes in my Teflon devoid wok:

fishcakes.jpg

And the small pieces of cooked batter (five o'clock) were called "scraps" where I came from.

Mixed fish and mashed potato to bind, seasoning, rolled in bread crumbs or something a bit more substantial.

Back
Top Bottom