Fishcakes ?

fishcake%20raw_zpsilpptyd4.jpg

:scratchhead:

It's two thin slices of potato enveloping a fish tail (cod in this case) which is submerged in batter and thereafter deep fried until crispy and brown (as per the images posted earlier).

[Edit: the batter crispy and brown, not the fish or the potato]

Last edited:
....and I've cooked the 'scallops' before.

It doesn't surprise me that you've cooked them but it surprises me that you know them as "scallops". It's a term used in Yorkshire and only then in parts of the West Riding.

It doesn't surprise me that you've cooked them but it surprises me that you know them as "scallops". It's a term used in Yorkshire and only then in parts of the West Riding.
I cooked them for a friend whose mother grew up in Sunderland. He explained how she made them. OTOH, my partner grew up in Sunderland and doesn't recognise the term at all!

Scallops
In Australia and England, potato cakes in the form of thin slices of potato, battered and deep-fried, are commonly sold in fish and chip shops and takeaway food shops. The terminology used in Australia differs from state to state. In New South Wales, Queensland, and the ACT they are usually referred to as "potato scallops", or simply as "scallops" (to avoid confusion, scallops eaten as seafood may be known as "sea scallops"). In Tasmania and Victoria, the term "potato cakes" is used, while in South Australia and Western Australia "potato fritter" is most common. Potato scallops originate from central England. This variant is normally a thin slice of potato, dipped in batter and deep fried. Also found in New Zealand fish and chip shops, were it is referred to as a potato fritter, not scallop. More common in New Zealand is the potato cake, made from either mashed or grated potato and is not covered in batter or deep fried. Hash browns, which are also widely available, are distinctly different. In Scotland what are known as potato cakes in Australia are known as potato fritters and are of the same type as the English variant. They are very common in fish and chip shops and are often the cheapest item on the menu.

Hope that clears things up!

Well, I would disagree with the first sentence. I can't vouch for Australia (although I believe it may be true, there, as I think I saw John Torode eating one in his Australian TV series!) but certainly in England they are not commonly sold in Fish 'n Chip shops. Maybe in Central England but not elsewhere. Wikipedia does get it wrong sometimes!:)

Well, I would disagree with the first sentence. I can't vouch for Australia (although I believe it may be true, there, as I think I saw John Torode eating one in his Australian TV series!) but certainly in England they are not commonly sold in Fish 'n Chip shops. Maybe in Central England but not elsewhere. Wikipedia does get it wrong sometimes!:)

Not necessarily common in Yorkshire chippies, but they are (were) sold. There were a substantial number of Yorkshire folks deported to Australia in the 17/18th century I understand so maybe the phrase went with them?

Also part taken from Frank Fords site.

Back
Top Bottom