Food addictions

I think coffee is more addictive than tea. My son went 'cold turkey' from coffee not long ago and suffered headaches, inability to concentrate and general fatigue. Although tea has caffeine (in smaller amounts) I've never heard of anyone having withdrawal symptoms, however much they drink. There's a challenge for you @classic33!
Give it up and move onto coffee!

My daughter gave up coffee once and suffered terrible headaches for week. Must have been withdrawal.
Yes. Its a classic symptom apparently. I hardly drink any coffee now. I went off it completely when pregnant and never really got back into it. Before that, many moons ago, I once overdosed on strong coffee. I couldn't stop jittering and talking and moving around - then things started spinning (not like when drunk, but just moving too fast). It was horrible. :hyper:

Yes. Its a classic symptom apparently. I hardly drink any coffee now. I went off it completely when pregnant and never really got back into it. Before that, many moons ago, I once overdosed on strong coffee. I couldn't stop jittering and talking and moving around - then things started spinning (not like when drunk, but just moving too fast). It was horrible. :hyper:
Something like this?
http://www.firebox.com/product/6515/Fcking-Strong-Coffee
Strong wording used

A lot of foods we eat are the tastes which are based around the salt,vinegar and sugar but not addictive ,but then there are items like canine which you can get symptoms when not consuming that is addictive ,some get the same from chocolate which is a quick energy fix,so a quick fix

My daughter gave up coffee once and suffered terrible headaches for week. Must have been withdrawal.
I had the same ,i was drinking strong coffees all the time at work ,had a a week off and I felt terrible ,hence now I don't consume as much caffeine ,and avoid those caving drinks

Used to be addicted to coffee a long time ago. I would consume a cup an hour or more whilst working.
Now I'm addicted to water. But given you said we can't have liquids, I guess the only obvious thing I am addicted to is well spices. My spice shelf has taken over another spice shelf and even the original spice shelf is stacked 2 high... I just love opening that cupboard and smelling the contents!

I believe that there is food addiction. When I was in college, I have a classmate who was addicted to chiz curls. It is a snack food that is salty and crunchy. Although expensive, my classmate would always buy that in the school canteen. My husband is a Coke drinker and I can say he is somewhat addicted to Coke because he can never eat without it. He would always say that his throat is dry and he couldn't swallow the food so he needs Coke.

He would always say that his throat is dry and he couldn't swallow the food
I have that issue as well. I can't eat without water available to me. Even a mouthful of nuts usually has to have water available to me for me to swallow. I always run 'dry' so to speak and consume a lot of water naturally. I'm asthmatic and over the years have found I can breath more easily if my mouth and throat are not dry, so always have to have water around especially when eating.

Now, I know I'm addicted to hot chilli peppers in one form or another (I eat some every day). But thanks to another thread, I've realised I'm addicted to salt :eek:. The fact that I've got 7 types of salt in the cupboard, plus 3 home-made flavoured salts, should have been a clue. This has made me wonder if there are other foods or flavourings to which I'm addicted.

Unlike a lot of people I'm not addicted to chocolate (don't like it at all except in savoury dishes) or sugar. I eat virtually no sugar. I'm going to have a think about this. Meanwhile, will anyone else 'fess up to their addictions?

Will we be seeing recipes for your home-made flavoured salts? I am probably addicted to salt, as well, and I usually use pepper with my salt, except on thing such as popcorn. Well, no probably about it. I love salt, and also love mustard, although I think I only have 3 or 4 types of mustards on hand. I'm not as addicted to sugar as I used to be, have cut back somewhat, but I do still love freeze-pops and popsicles, especially in the hot summers.

Attachments

• freeze pops.jpg
    freeze pops.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 123
I must be a addicted to sodium based seasonings or addicted to highly seasoned foods. I don't have lots of salts in my cupboard but I have lots of seasonings high in salt. It's not an addiction, but if bread is around I must eat it. I wish my husband did not insist on buying it all the time. It's for that reason I want to make my own.

@Diane Lane, I like that thing you call freeze pop. We call that Ice Drop when I was young but then the name had changed to Ice Candy. I also buy that in the grocery and I liked the Korean brand Yogo. It comes with many colors and flavors. I would freeze it and sometimes eat it after dinner while watching tv. But it is best eaten during summer when the weather is hot. Now it is already rainy season so we do not buy Yogo that much anymore.

@Diane Lane, I like that thing you call freeze pop. We call that Ice Drop when I was young but then the name had changed to Ice Candy. I also buy that in the grocery and I liked the Korean brand Yogo. It comes with many colors and flavors. I would freeze it and sometimes eat it after dinner while watching tv. But it is best eaten during summer when the weather is hot. Now it is already rainy season so we do not buy Yogo that much anymore.

@Corzhens It was 106F here the other day, we're in the thick of the Summer, with no end in sight. I just bought another 100 pack of the freeze pops, as well as some popsicles. They really do help, especially when coming in from the heat of the day.

@Diane Lane, it seems like you are teasing me with that freeze pop of yours. For your information, I am on a diet right, huhuhu, so even sweets are forbidden. I had been on this thrifty food diet for a week now and it will end on Friday when we go to a beach resort for a brief vacation. So for now I am sacrificing to lose a pound or two and I am getting a bit successful. No freeze pop for now. And by the say, the rains had come and the heat is dissipating.

Hot sauce is our big thing. We have about 5 or 6 different varieties in the house at any one time, it seems!
I was going to say hot sauce, as well! Last Christmas my brother and I received a hot sauce gift set containing about 10 different types. We still have each one, half full, in addition to our 6 usual hot sauces that are always in the cabinet. What kind of hot sauces do you currently have around? :)

Another food I may be addicted to is peanut butter. Anywhere, on anything. I've tried it all!
Also Thai iced tea. I add almond milk instead of cream (I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I try to avoid it when I can).
I'm also addicted to ice cubes. It's just something I go to when I'm watching tv, a movie, reading, etc. I'll grab a cup of ice and suck on them. I don't chew them ever. I just like flavorless, icy cold goodness!

Back
Top Bottom