Food experiments

grumpyoldman

Local time
4:41 AM
what food experiments have you done ? for example have you ever tried to copy a fast food ?
or maybe just tinkered around with some food just to see what you could do with it

Not fast food recipes, but nice to fine dining foods we have eaten and there are several recipes posted here that I have come up with after watching foods being prepared on TV shows like DDD, Best of.... shows and the like.

Recipe - Bayoubaisse

Recipe - Mexican meatball tacos

Recipe - Stuffed spaghetti squash

There are a few more, but these are the ones that came to mind right away.

And I tinker all the time with recipes unless it's something we really, really, really like and then I always make it per the recipe.

Last edited:
Not a whole lot. I generally prefer to follow recipes, so even if I want to copy something, I can probably find a recipe for it online.

I don’t like to experiment because the results might not be that great, and I don’t want to waste time and ingredients to find out I don’t like something.

sounds like you folks are missing 1/2 the fun of cooking , i love tinkering with foods just to see what happens sometimes

Big Mac.

1676361491750.jpeg

CD

I made my own Branston Pickle and my own Worcestershire Sauce once. Nowhere near the original versions, but it was fun anyway. Then on another occasion, a chef from California asked me to invent a "new" strawberry jam. I made one with black pepper, another with vanilla and another which was more like a chutney. And yet another time, I had a visit from an international sugar company ... they made an artificial sweetener and wanted to use it in jams and marmalades. I gave it my best shot, but the volume of the sweetener never reached the volume of the sugar, and the results were more like fruit purée than jam.

I tried making my own lime pickle as is served (or used to be served) in Indian restaurants in the UK. It was edible but only just. Not a patch on the UK style.

I should try again now that we have our own lime trees.

Lime trees s.jpg

sounds like you folks are missing 1/2 the fun of cooking , i love tinkering with foods just to see what happens sometimes

Oh - I agree. For me, cooking is creativity. But usually I have some sort of research to back up what I'm doing. I look at flavour combinations, for example. There is a lovely and rather witty book about that, which I refer to: The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit

I knoticed you make sausage, and there is a sausage challenge in progress. Opportunity knocks!

CD

Back
Top Bottom