Recipe Stuffed spaghetti squash

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:24 PM
I came up with this recipe after watching an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives featuring The Pit Stop in Long Island, New York. While I was cooking and tasting the dish, I made a couple of changes in technique and added a couple of ingredients from the original shown in the episode.

The recipe is vegetarian as is and can be made vegan by eliminating the cheeses or making appropriate substitutions.

37240-albums1041-picture6840.jpg

Medium sized spaghetti squash
1/4 cup chopped shallots OR sweet onion plus an extra garlic clove or 2
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red bell
1/2 cup each chopped yellow and zucchini squash
1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets (parboil or steam if you don't want crunchy broccoli)
1/2 cup thinnish asparagus, cut in 1 inch or so pieces (par-steam some if you are using really thick stalks if you don't want crunchy)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (to your taste)
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/3 cup or so of chopped fresh basil
4 slices mozzarella (fresh preferably)
salt and pepper

2-3 cups of your favorite marinara sauce.
1/4 to 1/2 cup decent Chianti or other fruity wine
a handful of finely grated parm
1/3 cup lightly packed chiffonade of fresh basil

Score spaghetti squash with a knife all the way around (stem to flower/blossom end back to stem), then microwaving on high in a baking dish for 4-5 minutes (NO longer than this as it could explode from steam build up). Remove, let cool slightly, then use a chef's knife to cut in half along your score mark. Remove seeds with a spoon and continue cooking either in the microwave or oven as follows.

Microwave: Place squash halves in a baking dish filled with about 1 inch of water. Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes until soft (time depends on size of squash and power of your microwave).

Oven: Preheat oven to 400 F, place squash in a baking dish, add about an inch of water, cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender.

Allow squash to cool, then use a fork to scrape out strands in the direction of the "grain," being careful not to tear the shells. Set aside.

Meanwhile, make 2-3 cups of your favorite marinara sauce. Add Chianti, basil and parm. Cook for 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Set aside.

Saute shallots and garlic until soft. Add red onion, carrot, celery, red bell and saute until softening. Add yellow and zucchini squashes and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Add broccoli and asparagus, and red pepper flakes, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 to 1 tsp of pepper (to your taste). Stir and add 1/4 to 1/3 cup (decent sized ladle) of marinara, stir. Add the spaghetti squash and gently mix. Taste and adjust seasoning. You will probably need to add more S and P. Allow to cool for a few minutes and add fresh basil, parm, and another ladle of marinara. Stir. Stuff the spaghetti squash shells, mounding filling up nicely, packing if necessary to fit it all in. Top each half with a couple of slices of fresh moz and bake until warmed through and cheese is nicely melted, about 20-30 minutes in a 375 F oven. Place a nice ladle of sauce on a plate and set squash half on top, ladling a bit of sauce across the top as well.

Last edited:
First up on the challenge as usual @medtran49!

Place squash halves in a baking dish filled with about 1 inch of water. Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes until soft (time depends on size of squash and power of your microwave).

I like the use of the microwave - this really cuts down on oven time.

Do you think the fact its a spaghetti squash is important? I mean, do you eat it by pulling out the strands onto the plate like spaghetti?

First up on the challenge as usual @medtran49!

I like the use of the microwave - this really cuts down on oven time.

Do you think the fact its a spaghetti squash is important? I mean, do you eat it by pulling out the strands onto the plate like spaghetti?

Hey, I THINK this is only the second time and I was so excited about the pasta one!

In paragraph 4 of directions, I wrote about using a fork to pull out the strands. You remove the majority of the flesh by scraping out with the fork and then use the shells to hold the stuffing.

I take it you've never had spaghetti squash? You should try it if you can find it. It's really good, has a bit of sweetness to it, though doesn't have a strong flavor and is kind of like tofu in that it takes on flavor of what it's used with. Some people don't like it because of the stringy texture, but others like it because it kind of simulates spaghetti, especially if you are low carbing it. Lots of people actually put marinara on top of the scraped out strands and eat it just like spaghetti and sauce. There's a fideos dish that uses spaghetti squash by Rick Bayless that we've made a couple of times. I may put that one up too, but will have to look for the picture or make it again, which I'm sure Craig wouldn't mind since it uses chorizo and chipotle.

I've got an unusual one up my sleeve, but want to make it first. It has chipotle chilis in it and can be vegetarian or vegan.

In paragraph 4 of directions, I wrote about using a fork to pull out the strands. You remove the majority of the flesh by scraping out with the fork and then use the shells to hold the stuffing.

Sorry - my mistake. Indeed you did include that.

I take it you've never had spaghetti squash? You should try it if you can find it.

Yes I have had it before. Not for a while as it isn't that easy to find here. I'm not a huge Winter squash fan (despite choosing it for the challenge!) but spaghetti squash is one that I like. My favourite squash is vegetable marrow which has a bad press (known as Summer squash in the US, I think).

Mmmm, squash boats.

Although, I've never seen an all veggie one. They usually include some kind of mince.

I need to show this to my wife as squash season is upon us.

You might say it's squashing us...

Mmmm, squash boats.

Although, I've never seen an all veggie one. They usually include some kind of mince.

I need to show this to my wife as squash season is upon us.

You might say it's squashing us...

Craig liked this, ate his whole half of squash for dinner, while I only managed half of mine. Hopefully, you'll like it too as much as he did, and I'm sure your wife will. Maybe your son too.

I've got an unusual one up my sleeve, but want to make it first. It has chipotle chilis in it and can be vegetarian or vegan.

Chipotle chillies eh? I might be seduced by that - my problem is that I find squash a bit sweet for my taste. I don't think I've ever paired them with chilli.

Back
Top Bottom