Goulash (a question)

OK, this evening I re-heated the remaining goulash and threw a few sauteed Chinese potatoes at it. The potatoes helped to make it a little less overpowering but I've decided that the carrots did not belong in there; perhaps use potatoes in lieu next time. And reduce the chilli powder and paprika as I suggested earlier. Possibly omit the chilli powder altogether and include a few chopped fresh chilies for a "cleaner" heat.

pork goulash sautee s.jpg
?

Or maybe just stick with beef in future.

Well...you are certainly getting your money's worth from the Goulash!

It was only 2 portions. The first image in the white dish was just an intermediary capture and the contents of the plate were returned to the wok after for "re-heating" later.

I think I may stop using those white plates for such purposes - they interfere with the camera's light meter.

Yum....I love goulash, especially this time of year as it starts getting colder. Here's the recipe I use....its its not spicy, just warm and smokey and comforting.

600g shin of beef (or other stewing cut) cut into large chunks
3 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 tbsp lard
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
Juice of 1 lemon

Mix together the paprikas, flour, salt and caraway seeds and toss the beef in the mixture to coat
In a heavy-based pan, melt the lard and brown the meat batches until golden and crusty, set the meat aside
Scrape the bottom of the pan, add the onions and pepper (you might need a bit more lard) and cook until soft and brown
Stir in the remaning flour & paprika mixture and cook for another couple of minutes
Return the meat to the pan and add enough water to just cover and gently stir and scrape the bottom of the pan
Cook in a low oven for about 2.5 hours
Stir in the lemon juice and cook for another 30 mins (with the lid off if you want to reduce the sauce further)
Serve in bowls with a splodge of soured cream

Back
Top Bottom