Guilty pleasures

From what I am reading a "chippy" must be a restaurant that sells fish and chips? The only way to have fish and chips is right out of the deep fryer when they are crisp and fresh. I love to douse mine in tartar sauce. People think I am strange for dipping my fries in tartar sauce, but it tastes so good, especially the dilly kind.

From what I am reading a "chippy" must be a restaurant that sells fish and chips?
not a restaurant. It's err well its a chippy.... hard to explain really but you walk to the counter, order and pay for what you want, it is cooked and/or served to you there and then or after a 10 minutes wait and you leave with the chips in hand so to speak... find somewhere to sit and eat them or walk around eating them!

this sort of thing...

Fish&Chip%20Shop%20560px.jpg

and you get this

Portion-of-chips-006.jpg

or more often nowadays this

2735622090.jpg

Attachments

• Fish&Chip%20Shop%20560px.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Portion-of-chips-006.jpg
    Portion-of-chips-006.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 434
  • 2735622090.jpg
    2735622090.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 115
Finding a good chippy near where you live is a joy. It was a problem in central York when I lived there, that there weren't any really great chippies. They all tended to cater to the tourist trade and portions were a bit mean. But then I was comparing them to my Mum's local chippy, which is a huge place (with a sit down restaurant attached as well) that does fish fillets the size of whales, and enough chips in a portion to feed a small family. It wins 'best chip shop' awards year after year and at peak time there'll be a queue all along the counter and out of the door.

We haven't tried the local chippies here, we don't really do takeaways for dinner now.

It's still a special treat at the seaside, where your appetite is whetted by the sea air, and the fish *should* be nice and fresh (although it depends whereabouts you are, as our fishing ports dwindle)

Possibly one of the best fish suppers I ever had was with my Mum when we were doing a motoring tour of Scotland. We were staying in a B and B in Ullapool and went into town to get supper, which we then ate sitting on the harbour wall watching the Stornoway ferry loading up for the night sailing.

And of course, they don't wrap the chips in newspaper any more like they used to...
The chippy at Allonby still uses plain paper inside the poly box and their portions are huge! It's on the lakes on the coast - great chippy called the cod father.
Sadly our local chippy had gone so far downhill that we actually prefer oven chips at home to theirs now. I don't think they are getting the oil hot enough and the chips are almost raw, so you just get a yellow greasy mess of floppy chips. :sick: it's a shame because 2 years ago they were great!

The chippy near my house is pretty dreadful too. The worst part is that they use those pre-formed chips rather than real potatoes (I saw them being delivered once!) and the prices have shot right up recently. At home, I've been known to send OH out for two fish while I cook my own chips in the fryer.

not a restaurant. It's err well its a chippy.... hard to explain really but you walk to the counter, order and pay for what you want, it is cooked and/or served to you there and then or after a 10 minutes wait and you leave with the chips in hand so to speak... find somewhere to sit and eat them or walk around eating them!

this sort of thing...

and you get this

Portion-of-chips-006.jpg

or more often nowadays this

2735622090.jpg

I get it now, thanks. It is more like a deli than anything else. Those pictures are making me hungry!

Attachments

• Portion-of-chips-006.jpg
    Portion-of-chips-006.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Fish&Chip%20Shop%20560px.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 2735622090.jpg
    2735622090.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 98
I get it now, thanks. It is more like a deli than anything else. Those pictures are making me hungry!

I think that's the first time I've ever heard a chippy described as 'like a deli' ! :happy:

(A deli to us in the UK is a fancy shop selling expensive cold meats and cheese and olives and things. About as far from a traditional chippy as you can get).)

Definitely not a deli. Much closer to a fast food but usually with no tables, chairs, toilets and usually very small. Choice is much more limited and typically pre-made pies and savoury pasties, or fried goods. A fridge with drinks in, usually ask fizzy sugar laden and usually all the same! It's fried food or nothing...

Definitely not a deli. Much closer to a fast food but usually with no tables, chairs, toilets and usually very small. Choice is much more limited and typically pre-made pies and savoury pasties, or fried goods. A fridge with drinks in, usually ask fizzy sugar laden and usually all the same! It's fried food or nothing...
You neglected to mention the deli section that is available in many chip shops,
Pickled eggs,pickled onions,wallys aka gherkins,and if really up market tartare sauce,and from the hot section mushy peas,curry gloup sauce,beans and of course some go to the heights of gravey
:chef:

I had been on a healthy diet for years now but there are times I can't avoid when temptations comes to these guilty foods to make a taste or eat a little like fried bacon, fried pork belly, black forest cake, custard flan... all my favorites. But i know these foods are really bad for health...oily and sweets...that is why I am avoiding it already. But if there are times I had the chance, yes its true I am guilty to myself but I had pleasure after eating because I enjoyed and I am satisfied to what I ate.

You neglected to mention the deli section that is available in many chip shops,
Pickled eggs,pickled onions,wallys aka gherkins,and if really up market tartare sauce,and from the hot section mushy peas,curry gloup sauce,beans and of course some go to the heights of gravey
:chef:
I don't go there! :sick:

For me a chippie is somewhere to get chips from :porky: :D:hungry:

I had been on a healthy diet for years now but there are times I can't avoid when temptations comes to these guilty foods to make a taste or eat a little like fried bacon, fried pork belly, black forest cake, custard flan... all my favorites. But i know these foods are really bad for health...oily and sweets...that is why I am avoiding it already. But if there are times I had the chance, yes its true I am guilty to myself but I had pleasure after eating because I enjoyed and I am satisfied to what I ate.
There is no harm in having an occasional treat. I say very healthily usually, but the occasional chip buttie when out is nothing to worry about. My last one would have been back in December!

I am learning so much about the UK these days, and how we totally call things differently...terrific learning experience!:) A deli here in the US is simply a place to get sandwhich like foods. The sandwhiches can be hot or cold and they are usually low class places to eat...like somewhere quick to go on your lunch break and a step above fast food restaurants. Most of the time, delis are not fancy around here, for fancy we would go to a cafe or Bistro.

Donner kebabs or Kobeda kebabs make me want to drool, but its krispy kremes that make me lose all self control

Back
Top Bottom