Have you ever cooked over at a friend's house with no gadgets to work with?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:40 PM
Yesterday, went over & I cooked dinner for them, which was meat loaf, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies & gravy. I wanted to do it. But I found out that they only have just the bare necessary things that they use when they cook? Pots & pans and a few utensils ,along with a few mixing bowls. Not gadgets at all, other than a colander!! No wire whip or anything else!! How in the Sam Hill do they get along without them?!!

I asked for a measuring cup - they don't have it! Measuring spoons; not! Not even a thermometer to measure the temp of any meats that is being cooked!! My 11-year-old grand nephew has more kitchen toys & gadgets than THEY do!!

When asked about these things, they said that they don't buy or use them! How can that be?!! I felt like a fish out of water, but I HAD to make out without them. They claim that it takes longer to do a job in the kitchen. Well some of those things do, but I think that EVERY household should have at least a few of them!!

I've ALWAYS had a boatload of gadgets to aid in cooking! Guess that some don't believe in having these things when they cook. :ohmy: :stop:

Last edited:
To be fair cooking is like every other hobby - you gather up gadgets as you go. The golfer the DIY nut the computer buff we all do it and we get used to what we have. It's always a shock when trying to use someone else’s kit.

I have cooked all over the place in a open field, modern kitchens,cramped kitchens,up to your knees in mud,and at 40 degrees where ever you are or what kit you have ingredients or staff you just over come,the harder it is the more you laugh about it latter,I get bits of kit as samples from suppliers to test sometimes,but my feelings are they are good if they make your life easier,you get used to your own moulds and cake tins etc,even pans ....

I love to cook and think I am pretty good at it but I have to confess, I don't use a lot of gadgets. I have actually stopped buying things as they often just end up being there to eventually get some rust. So in answer to the question I have cooked out where gadgets are limited at my sister to be specific. Why, I cooked out and the ingredients were limited, but because I am half a decent cook, I find a way to create a great meal:). Shermie, I am sure that experience brought out some of those hidden skills.:chef:

I love to cook and think I am pretty good at it but I have to confess, I don't use a lot of gadgets. I have actually stopped buying things as they often just end up being there to eventually get some rust. So in answer to the question I have cooked out where gadgets are limited at my sister to be specific. Why, I cooked out and the ingredients were limited, but because I am half a decent cook, I find a way to create a great meal:). Shermie, I am sure that experience brought out some of those hidden skills.:chef:

Thanks!
I did the best that I could, under the circumstances, but it was something that I'm really not used to, since one of the things that I was taught in culinary arts school is to have the right kitchen toys / tools for the job at hand. It really helps things along much more smoothly!

When I prepare & cook a meal, I like to do it as though I'm a professional chef mastering the art of cooking! And my 11-year-old grand nephew likes to do it the same way! Even though he has a long way to go, he manages to be pretty convincing & agile in the kitchen. He likes to do things thoroughly & good all the time!! :wink: :chef:

Last edited:
in reality when i write menus which is done daily ,i use a golden rule the 4 p's
people -no good writing a menu that can't be produced by my staff in my absence
product,-must be able to freely obtain the food and,and safely prepare and store it ,with respect fro where it comes from
pots-ie equipment again you need the right equipment
profit-can i sensibly make money on the dish,not something a lot of cooks have to consider

as mentioned in the opening ,mashed potato ,how do you make it,?potato ricer,or a masher,pass it threw a sieve or a drum sieve,or do you pit it in a mixer,we all do it different a equipe our kitchen to these means

They had he use INTANT mashed potato. Good thing, because they don't even have a masher or ricer either!!
I tell you, that they just don't believe in having at least a few gadgets for modern conveniences!! And ANOTHER thing; Their knives are all so dull!!
And you all know what they say about a dull knife! More dangerous to use than a sharp one!! They DO however, have a honing steel, which I've used, but still, the chef's knife was dull! :ohmy: :stop:

Last edited:
I love them dearly, but they need at least a few gadgets there, to make cooking there a bit easier! :eek: :stop:

It's not the gadets that people don't have when you cook at their place for me it's the spices. I have gone over a friends to help out for an affair and they had none of the spices I like to use and always have on hand. I was so out of place and had to work out subsituates for the spices I usually use. Next time I will take my own with me.

I want a good knife no matter what. Not having the right knife would probably make me a little irritable to be honest. The only place I have really cooked is my sister's house and they would tell you that when I turn up it looks like I am moving. I bring loads of my own stuff including saucepans. Like Pat though, I am more concerned about herbs and spices. I need to get them right.

Last edited:
It's not the gadets that people don't have when you cook at their place for me it's the spices. I have gone over a friends to help out for an affair and they had none of the spices I like to use and always have on hand. I was so out of place and had to work out subsituates for the spices I usually use. Next time I will take my own with me.

They seem to have quite a few spices on hand. They are just lacking in the gadgets department. They just don't believe in using measuring cups, measuring spoons, veggie peelers, etc.. :( :stop:

Also, here's a kicker;
They have a built-in dishwasher, yet they've never used it - not even once!! They lived in their apartment for 5 years - never used it!!
They claim that it won't clean the dishes, and that you have to rinse off the dishes by hand first before putting them in the machine.
I told them that I have one and that I never had to do that, and that all I do is scrape the bulky stuff off the dishes, load them in the machine, turn it on, and viola!! They come out sparkling clean!
They STILL won't use it!! :ohmy: :stop:

Yep, lol! The last time I went over to cook at someone else's house I brought my own pots and other things in anticipation of not having the tools I would need. I don't have that many gadgets, but some things are just essential! Not everyone understands the "right tool for the right job" applies to the kitchen as well, though.

Right!
I might be a stickler, but like I said above, I was taught in culinary arts school to have the right tool for the job at hand.
That has been my motto from Day One. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom