Have you ever cooked over at a friend's house with no gadgets to work with?

Not having the proper or necessary tools to prepare meals with is almost like living in the Dinosaur Age!! :eek:

The only saving grace in that kitchen was a fairly well stocked kitchen next door.

Not having the proper or necessary tools to prepare meals with is almost like living in the Dinosaur Age!! :eek:
Or its a challenge! Am currently on holiday innthw Med, in a fairly basic self catering appartment. No gadgets whatsoever. Brought out a decent knife because I knew there wouldnt be one, had to buy a garlic press locally. Having to cook on one ring and a small oven, but loving it to bits - back to basics! fantastic local ingredients,job done!

Many years ago in Kuala Lumpur we were asked to cook some food for a party a friend was arranging. I asked him what he had as far as utensils and he said "nothing". Fair enough, we took the food and utensils with us and found that he really did have nothing - not even salt and pepper!

Or its a challenge! Am currently on holiday innthw Med, in a fairly basic self catering appartment. No gadgets whatsoever. Brought out a decent knife because I knew there wouldnt be one, had to buy a garlic press locally. Having to cook on one ring and a small oven, but loving it to bits - back to basics! fantastic local ingredients,job done!
Why do you need a garlic press!? This would be my least necessary piece of kit!

If I've forgotten to take some pureed garlic from the freezer and only need a little, I either finely slice it or just smash it with the flat of my knife (an action that has sometimes led to the need for Bandaid in the past).

Lots of dishes involving crushed garlic, and the light in the kitchen is awful. My knife skills are usually OK, but not prepared to risk chopping anything that finely in semi-darkness. It was only 2 Euros. My fingertips are worth it :)

Lots of dishes involving crushed garlic, and the light in the kitchen is awful. My knife skills are usually OK, but not prepared to risk chopping anything that finely in semi-darkness. It was only 2 Euros. My fingertips are worth it :)
Fair enough. When I last went self-catering I took a sharp knife and a microplane (which will grate garlic, ginger and lots more). I always enjoy working in a basic kitchen - but I must have a good knife.

I use a broad bladed one (chef's knife) as a basic and if I had no other means, I'd crush the garlic clove with the flat of the blade (as @Yorky suggests) and either work into a paste with the knife blade (dragging and crushing it, pushing down with the knife blade at an angle - if you see what I mean) or finely chop the crushed garlic by 'rocking the knife across it, thus avoiding cut fingers!

I now realise its impossible to describe knife techniques! :laugh:

I'm guessing you travelled by car not plane...

Last edited:
If I'm in a car, my garlic press and knives also go with me as well. It is a necessary piece of kit in my book as well, but perhaps not when flying, though I rarely either fly or take much in the way of kit, so I can't really comment.

All-in-one garlic press and spice grinder, lovingly known as a pok-pok here in Thailand.

pok-pok.jpg

Back
Top Bottom