Have you ever tried a recipe from a cooking show?

I have cooked a couple from the BBC series The Great British Bake Off. But I will adapt as needed... I liked a couple, others not so much. I often print them off the ones I want to make and then promptly fnd something else I want to make... and so on... :whistling:
I know what you mean...

I have done quit a bit of cooking off TV show. Most of the dishes are really good. a few looked nice but lacked the flavor so I had to tweek them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two regulars that I have I've been making from TV shows are Mary Berry's Simnel cake for Easter since she made it on one of the Bake Off Specials and a chicken chorizo recipe from a Hairy Bikers show.

I cook stuff based on recipes I have seen on TV all the time. Some of my well-established dishes come from things I first saw on TV. Let me see, off the top of my head – I do a meatballs and pasta based very strongly on something I saw John Torode demonstrate on Masterchef. And the other John Torode / Masterchef based dish I have cooked several times is a chicken and ham pie. From Marcus Wearing on Masterchef professionals I learned how to make a cracking Welsh Rarebit, and from the last series I picked up how to do a classic Steak Diane and a great way to do a pork chop. The Steak Diane I have cooked three or four times since I saw it. My wife does a wonderful lamb shank dish we first saw demonstrated by Nigel Slater and I recently cooked a sweet and sour chicken dish he demonstrated – that’s the very dish I needed the preserved lemons for. Oh, and a great staple for our two younger kids that I have cooked more times than I can remember since I first saw it demonstrated on TV, is marmite spaghetti. Marmite spaghetti?!!! Which TV chef demonstrated marmite spaghetti?! Well it was Nigella Lawson as it happens. She said she has never met a kid who doesn’t love it, and I can say, mine certainly do.

The quality of TV cooking programmes in the UK is very high and I do love to watch the best of them. I have cooked some Nigel Slater recipes and also some Nigella. They are both very straightforward in the way they do things and I like that.

I've made a lot of dishes from recipes gleaned from TV cooking shows. From Lidia Bastianich, Mary Ann Esposito, Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Jamie Oliver, The Two Fat Ladies, Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, the Japanese Iron Chef show, Emeril Lagasse, and going way back, Justin Wilson, and the Frugal Gourmet - Jeff Smith, the Galloping Gourmet - Graham Kerr, and finally, David Rosengarten.

I guess I watch a lot of TV. :( It's been part of my job for 30+ years now.

We had a Canadian cooking show called Wok with Yan...He was very influential in the 70's as far as my approach to Chinese cooking.
Kb9zUNN.jpg

Lol, never heard of him but it sounds fun. I can see how it was a good hook for a TV show.

No. This guys name was Steven Yang..Canadian TV..he had some great, cheesy moments....he wore a new apron for every episode with some silly saying on it..always used "magic cooking powder".....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok_with_Yan

Its strange. I did a search and there seems no info about what Yang is doing now unlike his contemporary (?), Ken Hom, who was born in the USA, but became famous in the UK and who is still cooking up a storm. He was live on TV a few weeks ago.

I've made a lot of dishes from recipes gleaned from TV cooking shows. From Lidia Bastianich, Mary Ann Esposito, Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Jamie Oliver, The Two Fat Ladies, Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, the Japanese Iron Chef show, Emeril Lagasse, and going way back, Justin Wilson, and the Frugal Gourmet - Jeff Smith, the Galloping Gourmet - Graham Kerr, and finally, David Rosengarten.

I guess I watch a lot of TV. :( It's been part of my job for 30+ years now.
I have several cookbooks by EL, FG, GG and JW. I have a couple by JC.

Oh and about TV, my best friend's dad had founded one of our local networks.

Cinisajoy: "I have a couple by JC"... were there 4 of them? (kidding... the bible...)

I had to double check all of those initials to see what you meant... :facepalm:

What network did your friend's dad found, Cin?

Back
Top Bottom