Have you ever tried a recipe from a cooking show?

Cinisajoy: "I have a couple by JC"... were there 4 of them? (kidding... the bible...)

I had to double check all of those initials to see what you meant... :facepalm:

What network did your friend's dad found, Cin?
Messaged you.

...Ken Hom, who was born in the USA, but became famous in the UK and who is still cooking up a storm. He was live on TV a few weeks ago.

Ah Ken Hom, top chap. Can't say I have ever cooked a specific dish that I could say - I got that from Ken Hom. But his knowledge and advice does not only apply to Chinese cooking and there are definitely more general cooking influences that I have taken from him. He was the one I saw talking about if you are cooking chopped pieces of chicken breast, just how quickly they will cook and while no-one is suggesting that you should have chicken rare, neither should you over-cook it. I recall seeing Ken Hom interviewed, I don't remember who or the precise context, but it was definitely Ken Hom being interviewed, and he was asked, well again, I don't remember the precise wording but the basis was that he was asked for his single, most important piece of cooking advice. Know what he said? Nothing to do with cooking technique. As his single, most pithy piece of advice he said, never ever use detergent on your wok - and I suppose the same thing would apply to your frying pan. you should only ever clean it with warm water. Detergent is the antithesis of flavour. So your pan might give of some smells of whatever you last used it for, that doesn't matter and is probably actually a virtuous thing. But using detergent won't just kill the smell of the last thing you cooked in it. It'll kill the flavour of the next several things you cook in it.

I cook stuff based on recipes I have seen on TV all the time. Some of my well-established dishes come from things I first saw on TV. Let me see, off the top of my head – I do a meatballs and pasta based very strongly on something I saw John Torode demonstrate on Masterchef. And the other John Torode / Masterchef based dish I have cooked several times is a chicken and ham pie. From Marcus Wearing on Masterchef professionals I learned how to make a cracking Welsh Rarebit, and from the last series I picked up how to do a classic Steak Diane and a great way to do a pork chop. The Steak Diane I have cooked three or four times since I saw it. My wife does a wonderful lamb shank dish we first saw demonstrated by Nigel Slater and I recently cooked a sweet and sour chicken dish he demonstrated – that’s the very dish I needed the preserved lemons for. Oh, and a great staple for our two younger kids that I have cooked more times than I can remember since I first saw it demonstrated on TV, is marmite spaghetti. Marmite spaghetti?!!! Which TV chef demonstrated marmite spaghetti?! Well it was Nigella Lawson as it happens. She said she has never met a kid who doesn’t love it, and I can say, mine certainly do.

I make Nigella's Marmite spaghetti too!

I make Nigella's Marmite spaghetti too!

Ha!. It's a little bit like how, before you can admit as an adult to having seen and perhaps even enjoyed a children's film you have to have the excuse that you only went to see it for the kids' sake. So of course, I only cook Marmite spaghetti because the kids want it. But - hey ho - I have to have a few forkfuls of it because, somehow, I always cook a bit too much of it. Funny that isn't it?

Ha!. It's a little bit like how, before you can admit as an adult to having seen and perhaps even enjoyed a children's film you have to have the excuse that you only went to see it for the kids' sake. So of course, I only cook Marmite spaghetti because the kids want it. But - hey ho - I have to have a few forkfuls of it because, somehow, I always cook a bit too much of it. Funny that isn't it?

Sadly, I don't even have that excuse! My kids have left home but they wouldn't eat anything with Marmite on, once they could talk. They were both given Marmite soldiers when they were tiny.

Oh, I guess I should post at least one recipe that I've made from each TV cook.

Ok, not in order, but from my scattered memory these are the first that come to mind :

Jamie Oliver : fresh herb stuffed and baked whole fish (I used trout)

Lidia Bastianich : chicken cutlets with zucchini and sage

Mary Ann Esposito: grilled lemon pepper chicken using brick weights

Jacques Pepin : veal chop dijonnaise

Julia Child : coq au vin

Two Fat Ladies : devilled kidneys

Iron Chef : clam foam

Bobby Flay : chimichurri steak

Emeril Lagasse : crawfish in spicy cream

Martha Stewart : coconut macaroons

Mario Batali : pork brasciole

Justin Wilson : greens and ham hocks

Jeff Smith : pot roast

I've made many more from most of these TV chefs, especially Jacques, Lidia, and Mary Ann.

Sadly, I don't even have that excuse! My kids have left home but they wouldn't eat anything with Marmite on, once they could talk. They were both given Marmite soldiers when they were tiny.

But there you go, that's the thing with Marmite spaghetti, you shouldn't pre-judge it as something you wouldn't like because you don't like Marmite. I mean, I am firmly in the love camp, I've eaten it since I was very young and still love a Marmite sandwich when the timing is right. But my kids won't eat it on toast or as a sandwich but they love Marmite spaghetti. You should serve the spaghetti dish to someone just as savoury flavoured spaghetti and after they have said how much they liked it, only then tell 'em that the flavour is Marmite. I mean, clearly it doesn't have that bite that Marmite spread straight on bread or toast has. It is just a lovely savoury flavoured spaghetti dish.

But there you go, that's the thing with Marmite spaghetti, you shouldn't pre-judge it as something you wouldn't like because you don't like Marmite. I mean, I am firmly in the love camp, I've eaten it since I was very young and still love a Marmite sandwich when the timing is right. But my kids won't eat it on toast or as a sandwich but they love Marmite spaghetti. You should serve the spaghetti dish to someone just as savoury flavoured spaghetti and after they have said how much they liked it, only then tell 'em that the flavour is Marmite. I mean, clearly it doesn't have that bite that Marmite spread straight on bread or toast has. It is just a lovely savoury flavoured spaghetti dish.
I'll try it next time my youngest is home.

I'll try it next time my youngest is home.

You've provoked another memory from years ago, I'm pretty sure it is further back than whenever I saw Nigella do Marmite spaghetti. Anyway, a friend of mine did a Sunday roast pork, and before he roasted the pork joint, he smeared it with a thin layer of Marmite. The result was amazing. It gave the meat a wonderful deep flavour.

You've provoked another memory from years ago, I'm pretty sure it is further back than whenever I saw Nigella do Marmite spaghetti. Anyway, a friend of mine did a Sunday roast pork, and before he roasted the pork joint, he smeared it with a thin layer of Marmite. The result was amazing. It gave the meat a wonderful deep flavour.
We had Marmite as the Recipe Challenge ingredient a while back (before you joined, I think). If you put 'marmite' into the search box top right you will see the recipes.

Ok, so I've heard of marmite, and vegemite. Are they similar?

From what I understand, they are very strongly flavoured, very salty? An acquired taste?

From what I understand, they are very strongly flavoured, very salty? An acquired taste?
Similar yes. But people will hotly debate which is superior! I love it - a little goes a long way. Its the umame taste - yeasty, salty, tangy and a liittle like beef extract.

Marmite – I don’t know but I would guess that Vegimite is similar – is a by-product of the brewing process. For any Britons reading this who are unaware, the Marmite factory is in Burton-Upon-Trent, right next door to the Bass Brewery. So yes, it is a yeast extract, it has a very strong taste, and famously among people in Britain, there is a straightforward dichotomy between those who love it and those who despise its very existence. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you had it as a child. If you make it to your adult years and have never tried it, then I don’t suppose you are ever going to acquire the taste for it. And while it is unarguably vegetarian, its status as ‘healthy’ has been somewhat undermined in recent years. It is, for example, now considered unwise fare for those vulnerable to gout.

Back
Top Bottom