View attachment 87128
The Kitchn

View attachment 87130
Serious Eats

View attachment 87129
Food Network

View attachment 87131
Cook’s Illustrated

Those are all dumplings, and they can be just about anything, and sweet or savory, so there’s potential for a lot of variety.
That's why I suggested them... we've got another version of them as well. A ball in a bechamel & onion sauce.
I usually make them in a soup or stew instead of bread.
The bottom one is new to me though.

Yorkshire pudding and pho are already on the list (see list above). Pasties were included in the previous CookingBites Dish of the Month (June): Savoury Pies & Pasties. Tacos have already been covered in the 'tortilla based dishes' Dish of the month (see top post)

I think some of these dishes you list may have been featured in the CookingBites Cookalong which is a slightly different concept and much more specific and technical.
Perhaps if we are going with concepts rather than actual dishes (the title is dish of the month) we should consider repeats as an option after say 12 months/dishes? Otherwise it is going to be very difficult to find new concepts after 3 or 4 years. Pasties after all were back 3 years ago in June 2019.
I'm not certain how any of way I've listed is more technical though or even more specific. Spanakoptia are after all just Greek pies with loads of different filings, as are bourek just a Turkish version. Roulades, at least what I'm thinking of are similarly any filing on phyllo pastry rolled and sliced.

Just a thought.

Let people have their dumplings I think? It keeps being mentioned and it's a hot dish so everyone should be happy. I love dim sum and gyoza, so I am not objecting. I'm just probably not participating due to hand made dumplings being quite finnicky, and I'm still recovering so doing as little as possible especially because there's a heatwave and my heart has some damage from the ICU stay.

I've got gyoza in the freezer, but they're ready made.. I could maybe rustle up something with them, but it won't be a challenge of course.

OK - narrowing it down and taking on board SatNavSaysStraightOn's point that we can repeat concepts if they were first chosen a long while ago, we now have two clear front runners:

Pies/pasties/tarts (sweet or savoury) 6 positive mentions.
Dumplings (any sort): 6 positive mentions

Let people have their dumplings I think? It keeps being mentioned and it's a hot dish so everyone should be happy. I love dim sum and gyoza, so I am not objecting. I'm just probably not participating due to hand made dumplings being quite finnicky, and I'm still recovering so doing as little as possible especially because there's a heatwave and my heart has some damage from the ICU stay.

I've got gyoza in the freezer, but they're ready made.. I could maybe rustle up something with them, but it won't be a challenge of course.
There are plenty of dumplings that are not wrapped in a 'pastry' case. Some are balls held together in a bechamel sauce, such at these. I know some of these ingredients you can't have with it being too much fibre, but it's a concept more than anything else and these are very quick and easy to make.

Recipe - Baked Walnut & Poppy Seed Dumplings with Béchamel

There are plenty of dumplings that are not wrapped in a 'pastry' case. Some are balls held together in a bechamel sauce, such at these. I know some of these ingredients you can't have with it being too much fibre, but it's a concept more than anything else and these are very quick and easy to make.

Recipe - Baked Walnut & Poppy Seed Dumplings with Béchamel

Yeah, just I don't like them boiled :D and like I said in the previous thread, I only was introduced to this type of dumplings in the UK. Dutch food culture has no equivalent , though we have a pudding similar to boiled raisin pudding ( it's UK name won't be allowed here lol, something spotty) .

And my heartrate still goes up to 140 everytime I am in the kitchen, so a lot of cooking is just no option right now.

Back
Top Bottom