SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
The original version of this recipe used cheddar cheese, specifically stating vegetarian cheese so I suspect that it may have came from a vegetarian magazine but I can't be sure. I do know that the format is wrong for the BBC Vegetarian Good food magazine (long since died a death sadly), so I can exclude that. My Source is certainly not the closest I could find in this cookbook (The Vegetarian Epicure: 262 Recipes That Bring Vegetarian Cooking to New Gastronomic Heights) which I've not seen before or this Rangihaeata Road blog (This recipe Baked walnut and cheddar balls). Neither contain poppy seeds which our recipe always has done, so I'm afraid I can't reference my source :(

We've been having issues locating wheatgerm, so i've searched for substitutions and came up with ground linseed (flax) as an alternative, so this week, I'll make them using ground linseed instead.

That said we love this recipe, both for its simplicity and it's flavour even without the cheddar (4oz or 100g if you wish to add it.)

Ingredients - for the dumplings
150g (6oz) ground walnuts
100g (4oz) finely grated vegan cheddar, (optional)
50g (2oz) poppy seeds
6 tbsp wholemeal breadcrumbs/gluten free if needed
50g (2oz) wheatgerm or 100g (4oz) ground flax/linseed
½ onion finely chopped
150ml (¼pt) soy or unsweetened nut milk
2 tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried sage
2 eggs, well-beaten
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Ingredients - for the Béchamel
3 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
1 onion, very finely chopped
3 tbsp plain flour
600 ml (1 pt) hot soy or nut milk
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp (ish) grated nutmeg
salt

Method
  1. Preheat your oven 400°F/200°C / Gas Mark 6.
  2. Dumplings: Mix the ground walnuts, poppy seeds, breadcrumbs, wheatgerm, onion, herbs and seasoning together in a bowl. Add the soya milk and mix well. Stir in the eggs to bind and form 8 medium sized dumplings and place In an oiled baking dish.
  3. Béchamel: heat the oil/vegan butter in a pan. Add the onions and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour & cook for another 2 minutes. Gradually & slowly add the hot soya milk, stirring well after each addition until all the milk is added and the sauce is smooth. Add the bay leaf, nutmeg & salt (to taste) and simmer for 15 minutes. Don't burn it!
  4. Pour the sauce over the dumplings and bake in a hot oven for 35-40 minutes.

Photo's to follow later this week when I've found some poppy seeds...

Last edited:
You've just given me another great recipe that I can make for my brother when he comes to visit. Aside from the spots, which are obviously poppy seeds, what are the other dark-shaded parts of the dumpling? Are those places where the seeds clustered together? Or, did they cook unevenly and burn slightly there?

Aside from the spots, which are obviously poppy seeds, what are the other dark-shaded parts of the dumpling? Are those places where the seeds clustered together? Or, did they cook unevenly and burn slightly there?

I'm not certain as to what you are refering to. They cook evenly and are not burnt.

I guess you could be seeing flaxseeds? Mine are golden-brown flax, so "wholemeal" and produced a darker coloured dumpling. Each serving was 1 dumpling made with wheatgerm and the other with ground flax.

Back
Top Bottom