Home made salad dressing

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:56 PM
I grew up with this for our salads, I don't know where it came from but I use it all the time. My kids all love it as well, if they come here for a meal, they ask for leftover dressing.
This is how my mum made it, it's possibly an English recipe.

Small can condensed milk
4 tablespoons malt vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Level tablespoon mustard powder
4 good shakes of pepper.
Stir and keep in fridge.

Russ

I make a honey mustard dressing for our Rusty Pelican shrimp salad with HB eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, chives or green onions, and red leaf lettuce.

Also, we make a spicy Cajun buttermilk ranch for a chicken salad.

Another chicken salad, which was probably based on the UK Coronation salad, gets a curry powder/mayo/butter based dressing over shredded lettuce with seedless grapes and toasted sliced almonds.

Last edited:
Hopefully he meant evaporated.

I did wonder! As the dressing also has a tablespoon of sugar I think it must be.

It sounds like a home-made version of 'salad cream' which was what we all had in the UK before mayo became popular. We still have it in bottles in all the supermarkets. I rather like it sometimes but it is rather sweet.

Here is what Wiki says:

When first created in the Harlesden (London) kitchens of Heinz in 1914 the preparation was done by hand. The jars were packed in straw-lined barrels—12 dozen in each. The work schedule was 180 dozen jars a day, with a halfpenny a dozen bonus if the workforce could beat the target.[3]

Salad cream was not readily available in the United States until the 21st century (though Miracle Whip provided a similar, if thicker alternative); however, with the large population of British expatriates, especially in the Northeast, it is becoming more common. Major retail supermarket chains sell salad cream as a regular item.[4][5][6][dubiousdiscuss] Many supermarkets sell national and store brands of salad dressing which resemble salad cream.

LN_575684_BP_11.jpg

Last edited:
We have something called Marzetti's, brand name, there may be others too, that sound similar to salad cream. Most people I know use it to dress coleslaw. It's an emulsion of some kind though as it's fairly thick.

It's defo condensed milk, I know sugar seems too sweet, the vinegar balances it. It's really nice.

Russ

Gosh - I wouldn't have thought it needed sugar added as well as condensed milk, What kind of salad would you use it on/with?

Gosh - I wouldn't have thought it needed sugar added as well as condensed milk, What kind of salad would you use it on/with?
My salad is sliced iceberg, we grow these, boiled eggs sliced up, tomatoes sliced also radishes spring onion and cheese squares. It's really good.

Russ

I did wonder! As the dressing also has a tablespoon of sugar I think it must be.

It sounds like a home-made version of 'salad cream' which was what we all had in the UK before mayo became popular. We still have it in bottles in all the supermarkets. I rather like it sometimes but it is rather sweet.

Here is what Wiki says:

View attachment 22100

I saw this exact salad cream in the grocery, just happened to notice it as we were going down that aisle.

Probably later on. I'm REALLY trying to use up stuff in fridges and freezers.

I need to do the same. Honestly, salad cream is no big deal. I quite like it because I was brought up with it (no mayo in the UK in those days).

Back
Top Bottom