Housing costs in your area

I might add I am under pressure to downsize from my kids. They think our house is too big for us. I'm comfortable where I am and will stay here until I cant make it up the stairs, or drop dead lol.

Russ
Yeah I don't blame you, you added on space because you wanted to do so and it's more comfortable for entertaining. Tell them if you downsize they will have to start hosting dinner, LOL. They always have those stairlift things :laugh:

Oh yeah my house was ancient, LOL. I think it was built in the 1940s. Newer construction was indeed way more expensive.

With two incomes you should be able to afford something a little larger when that time comes, especially if your boyfriend also owns his home and can sell it, then you will have to additional $$ for a downpayment. And you might have to move a bit further away from the city center?
He doesn't own a home, and with his income we wouldn't be able to comfortably buy a bigger house and support children at the same time. It's very uncommon for people my age to own houses here in Portugal, unless they come from wealthy families who gift them a house - most people my age still live with their parents and can't afford to move out.

Moving further is not something I'm excited about, as I don't drive and public transportation here is horrible - the place where I used to live is just 15 minutes by car away from where I live, and living there my daily commute to college was 3 hours (1,5hour each way). The places further away where public transportation is somewhat decent are lower income areas with more affordable housing, but a lot of social problems I prefer not to deal with.

Unless I win the lottery I'm stuck with this house for life lol

Yeah I don't blame you, you added on space because you wanted to do so and it's more comfortable for entertaining. Tell them if you downsize they will have to start hosting dinner, LOL. They always have those stairlift things :laugh:
Lol. There was an ad here on tv recently about stair lifts. I'm a fair way from that.lol

Russ

He doesn't own a home, and with his income we wouldn't be able to comfortably buy a bigger house and support children at the same time. It's very uncommon for people my age to own houses here in Portugal, unless they come from wealthy families who gift them a house - most people my age still live with their parents and can't afford to move out.

Moving further is not something I'm excited about, as I don't drive and public transportation here is horrible - the place where I used to live is just 15 minutes by car away from where I live, and living there my daily commute to college was 3 hours (1,5hour each way). The places further away where public transportation is somewhat decent are lower income areas with more affordable housing, but a lot of social problems I prefer not to deal with.

Housing here is relatively cheap if you are prepared to live in the country areas.

Russ

I built upstairs to let kids have downstairs. To give them space that I didn't have growing up. Self contained upstairs.

Russ

Housing here is relatively cheap if you are prepared to live in the country areas.

Russ
It used to be like that here, but the pressure for housing in the big cities and the suburbs around them started driving people further and further away, plus the pandemic brought remote work and some people who work remotely moved to the country side, meaning prices are rising everywhere.

Here's a place

https://www.realestate.co.nz/reside...rce=adwords&utm_term=riverton houses for sale

I built upstairs to let kids have downstairs. To give them space that I didn't have growing up. Self contained upstairs.

Russ
My boyfriend and his sister still share a bedroom to this day, and they're both grownups. My mother, her two siblings and their parents used to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. Siblings sharing bedrooms was common in my generation. And in a lot of ways I think life was harder back then.

My boyfriend and his sister still share a bedroom to this day, and they're both grownups. My mother, her two siblings and their parents used to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. Siblings sharing bedrooms was common in my generation. And in a lot of ways I think life was harder back then.
I think maybe he was suggesting you to move to NZ, LOL!

I think maybe he was suggesting you to move to NZ, LOL!
I don't think I would mind that! I love my country and I'm many ways I am lucky as I'm doing better for myself than most people my age, but having a war so close to home made me seriously think about moving abroad.

I don't think I would mind that! I love my country and I'm many ways I am lucky as I'm doing better for myself than most people my age, but having a war so close to home made me seriously think about moving abroad.
They make a lot of movies there and it looks amazing. I don't have a war nearby but I'd love to go visit and maybe move there!

Lol. There was an ad here on tv recently about stair lifts. I'm a fair way from that.lol

Russ

When I built here in 2000 I built single storey. I was then aware that in my advancing age (as my doctor describes it) I may have difficulty with stairs.

And I was right.

When I built here in 2000 I built single storey. I was then aware that in my advancing age (as my doctor describes it) I may have difficulty with stairs.

And I was right.
I'm 60 and I hate stairs. Mine is more an equilibrium issue but I'm sure in coming years it could be mobility or joint issues (so far not that). When we built the addition 15 years ago my husband was going to put the laundry room in the basement. I insisted it go in the garage, pointing out that hauling laundry up and down stairs would be more and more difficult as we get older.

I rarely go upstairs where our guestroom and hubby's office are, much less the basement.

Back
Top Bottom