Housing costs in your area

When I built here in 2000 I built single storey. I was then aware that in my advancing age (as my doctor describes it) I may have difficulty with stairs.

And I was right.

I have a two story house, and wish I didn't.

First, it is an "open plan" house, so the living room is two stories tall. That means it is always cool downstairs (even cold in the winter, and hot near at the top of the living room. That heat spills into the open second story loft. I have two HVAC systems, one for each floor, but that big open living room works against the systems.

Second, there are 18 steps on my stairway. That was fine when I was 40, but at 61, it is starting to become an issue, especially in relation to my left knee. It randomly decides it doesn't want to climb any stairs without punishing me.

To give you a better idea what I'm talking about, here is a photo taken from the upstairs loft. My office is behind me, and there is a bedroom and bathroom upstairs, too. The room to the left downstairs is the kitchen. It is cold in the winter, too, unless I'm cooking.

IMG_2216.JPG

CD

Last edited:
My mom's house is three stories (1st floor has a powder room, kitchen and living room; 2nd floor has 2 bedrooms and one bathroom; 3rd floor is the master bedroom and one sunroom) and I've always hated it. It was usually teenage me who vacuumed, dusted the furniture, washed the bathrooms and ironed our clothes, and it was annoying going up and down with the cleaning equipment, plus the laundry, and the vacuum cleaner fell down the stairs more than a couple of times. Plus I don't think they'll be able to live comfortably in that house as they age. I can't imagine a 70 year old person climbing all those stairs every day, and if my mom or her boyfriend ever become impaired they will have to live in the living room. They can always move house, but I think moving house in your 70s-80s must be annoying and too stressful. They can't downsize in the near future because of the dog, and because of my siblings who still live with them.

When I built here in 2000 I built single storey. I was then aware that in my advancing age (as my doctor describes it) I may have difficulty with stairs.

And I was right.

I'm a fair way away with a lift. No trouble walking etc , but I s'pose anything can happen?

Russ

I have a two story house, and wish I didn't.

First, it is an "open plan" house, so the living room is two stories tall. That means it is always cool downstairs (even cold in the winter, and hot near at the top of the living room. That heat spills into the open second story loft. I have two HVAC systems, one for each floor, but that big open living room works against the systems.

Second, there are 18 steps on my stairway. That was fine when I was 40, but at 61, it is starting to become an issue, especially in relation to my left knee. It randomly decides it doesn't want to climb any stairs without punishing me.

To give you a better idea what I'm talking about, here is a photo taken from the upstairs loft. My office is behind me, and there is a bedroom and bathroom upstairs, too. The room to the left downstairs is the kitchen. It is cold in the winter, too, unless I'm cooking.

View attachment 96822

CD
I'm like you it's cool downstairs but hot up. An oven actually, we have to close curtains when its 20 deg c and above. We have ceiling fans in roof of lounge and bedroom upstairs. We need to invest in a a/c unit upstairs. We open windows after dark and the breeze cool us.

Russ

I'm like you it's cool downstairs but hot up. An oven actually, we have to close curtains when its 20 deg c and above. We have ceiling fans in roof of lounge and bedroom upstairs. We need to invest in a a/c unit upstairs. We open windows after dark and the breeze cool us.

Russ

In my area, it is common for two story homes to have two separate HVAC systems for each story. It does help, but more so in summer than in winter. Homes here are built for nine months of moderate to hot weather, and three months of moderate to cold weather.

CD

In my area, it is common for two story homes to have two separate HVAC systems for each story. It does help, but more so in summer than in winter. Homes here are built for nine months of moderate to hot weather, and three months of moderate to cold weather.

CD
Every year we talk about a/c but never do it. I'm doing it soon.

Russ

Russ
Our upstairs guest room is over the garage and gets very cold in the winter and very warm in the summer. We rarely have guests these days, but when we do (usually in warmer weather), we have a window AC unit for summer and a space heater for any random cold weather visitors.

Our upstairs guest room is over the garage and gets very cold in the winter and very warm in the summer. We rarely have guests these days, but when we do (usually in warmer weather), we have a window AC unit for summer and a space heater for any random cold weather visitors.

We regularly have people downstairs. It's not hot downstairs. Theres heaters downstairs as well.

Russ

We regularly have people downstairs. It's not hot downstairs. Theres heaters downstairs as well.

Russ
I was referring to people visiting and spending a night or several, not just people stopping by for a visit that live nearby. Nobody that is just coming over for dinner is going upstairs unless they are too drunk to drive home later!

I was referring to people visiting and spending a night or several, not just people stopping by for a visit that live nearby. Nobody that is just coming over for dinner is going upstairs unless they are too drunk to drive home later!

Visitors to use our spare bedroom
Wifes bro from aussie
My friends from west coast
Grandkids
Mate from Auckland
Anyone really
Noone goes upstairs drunk

Russ

Visitors to use our spare bedroom
Wifes bro from aussie
My friends from west coast
Grandkids
Mate from Auckland
Anyone really
Noone goes upstairs drunk

Russ
If someone is too drunk to drive and everyone there is too drunk to drive them, do you make them leave anyway and don't let them sleep in the spare room?

Corvin-Castle-1024x683.jpg

This one is in Romania, I wouldn't mind upgrading to something like this.

Back
Top Bottom