How often do you Eat Oatmeal?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:08 PM
It has been said that if a person. be it a man, woman or child, eats it for one month straight, their cholesterol level could be significantly reduced.

So how often do you eat it? I like Maypo - the regular one! I'm going on a weight-loss diet to lose some weight. I've already lost almost 20lbs, down from 298lbs.

I want to see if I can get rid of the diabetes. It has been said that if you lose enough weight, that it should go away. I've been eating low-fat Greek yogurt for breakfast, a light lunch and a normal supper. So far, it seems to be working out good. :wink:

I have been unsuccessful in even trying to buy oatmeal!
I wanted to make a traditional cake called Parkin last November for Bonfire Night.
However, I do eat rolled oats in porridge and add it to crumble too.

Maypo has Maple syrup in it and sugar. I think that may be bad if you are diabetic?

INGREDIENTS: Water, Maypo (Cracked Oats, Rye Flour*, Sugar,Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Artificial Maple Flavor,Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Maple Syrup, Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate (Protected with BHT), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid And Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12))
ALLERGENS: Wheat, Gluten

I have been unsuccessful in even trying to buy oatmeal!
I wanted to make a traditional cake called Parkin last November for Bonfire Night.
However, I do eat rolled oats in porridge and add it to crumble too.
Oatmeal is just a generic word I think, in this context - meaning any kind of hulled oats.

Oatmeal is made of hulled oat grains – that have either been ground, steel-cut or rolled.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oatmeal

Last edited:
Maypo has Maple syrup in it and sugar. I think that may be bad if you are diabetic?

INGREDIENTS: Water, Maypo (Cracked Oats, Rye Flour*, Sugar,Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Artificial Maple Flavor,Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Maple Syrup, Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate (Protected with BHT), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid And Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12))
ALLERGENS: Wheat, Gluten

It is not the sugar that I'm after. I don't taste it anyway. Rather it's the cholesterol reducing action that I'm after. I use Splenda - a no-sugar sweetener.

The starch in the cereal eventually is processed by the body into sugar. And since I must eat within 15 minutes after taking insulin injections, it is to keep the glucose level from getting too low. Otherwise, I start to go into a hypoglycemic attack, because the main purpose of taking the insulin in the first place is to keep the glucose level from getting too high.

Almost like; Pick your poison, damn if you , damn if you don't.:headshake:

It is not the sugar that I'm after. I don't taste it anyway. Rather it's the cholesterol reducing action that I'm after. I use Splenda - a no-sugar sweetener.

The starch in the cereal eventually is processed by the body into sugar. And since I must eat within 15 minutes after taking insulin injections, it is to keep the glucose level from getting too low. Otherwise, I start to go into a hypoglycemic attack, because the main purpose of taking the insulin in the first place is to keep the glucose level from getting too high.

Almost like; Pick your poison, damn if you , damn if you don't.:headshake:
But you have sugar contained in this cereal already. Isn't that an issue?

But you have sugar contained in this cereal already. Isn't that an issue?
As he said, he needs that bit of sugar right after the shot to keep the blood sugar from falling too low.
It is a common misconception that diabetics are allowed no sugar.
A small amount is not always bad. Now if Shermie chose a candy bar or rock candy (mostly sugar) instead of something nutritious then he could have trouble.

Hey @Shermie is it type 1 or type 2?
One is a problem with the actual pancreas, 2 can be caused and cured by diet.

As he said, he needs that bit of sugar right after the shot to keep the blood sugar from falling too low.
It is a common misconception that diabetics are allowed no sugar.
A small amount is not always bad. Now if Shermie chose a candy bar or rock candy (mostly sugar) instead of something nutritious then he could have trouble.

Hey @Shermie is it type 1 or type 2?
One is a problem with the actual pancreas, 2 can be caused and cured by diet.

I believe that it is Type 2.

Don't they BOTH have to do with the pancreas? It seems that before, it wasn't producing enough, but now, it seems to be making too much glucose.
Can't win!

This is why SOME starch is needed, to make some sugar to keep the hypoglycemic attacks at bay. Most everything that's sweet is because I use Splenda. But some sweet things have to be kept around the house in case I start to go into an attack. Such as orange juice , granola bars or candy.:headshake:

Last edited:
Not too long ago, I had a bowl of soup, but I feel hungry again and my stomach is growling! :headshake:

Not too long ago, I had a bowl of soup, but I feel hungry again and my stomach is growling! :headshake:
Just don't use aspartame.
Now on Type 1, the pancreas cannot produce the insulin it needs at all. Type 2 is it has a hard time regulating it.
Generally if you have always needed insulin and can't ever get off of it is Type 1.
I dated a diabetic once. Our biggest fights were over "have you eaten today" on both sides. He thought I needed to eat more. His mother tended to solve that argument. She ran a bar with a kitchen. So it was here EAT. I was 20 and he was 35.
He later passed away from complications of diabetes. Long after he made his mom mad by leaving me for a blond bimbo that he just took off with.
He didn't eat right and drank way too much.

Just don't use aspartame.
Now on Type 1, the pancreas cannot produce the insulin it needs at all. Type 2 is it has a hard time regulating it.
Generally if you have always needed insulin and can't ever get off of it is Type 1.
I dated a diabetic once. Our biggest fights were over "have you eaten today" on both sides. He thought I needed to eat more. His mother tended to solve that argument. She ran a bar with a kitchen. So it was here EAT. I was 20 and he was 35.
He later passed away from complications of diabetes. Long after he made his mom mad by leaving me for a blond bimbo that he just took off with.
He didn't eat right and drank way too much.

I've only been on insulin injections since last summer.

The goal is to keep diabetes manageable. so that their are no problems with it. The health care provider won't pay enough to keep the copay from being too damn high!! :mad:

I've only been on insulin injections since last summer.

The goal is to keep diabetes manageable. so that their are no problems with it. The health care provider won't pay enough to keep the copay from being too damn high!! :mad:
Did they tell you to watch your alcohol intake?
And to always wear shoes.

I eat porridge oats everyday for breakfast.

25g of rolled traditional oats are soaked in homemade soya yoghurt overnight and served with 50g raspberries. no added sugar (other than naturally contained in the raspberries) at all for me. there is 1tsp of sugar in the milk of the soya yoghurt before it becomes yoghurt but that gets eaten by the bacteria. curiously by adding this 1 tsp of sugar I get a thicker set yoghurt. 1L of soya milk plus 1 just under 200ml container of the previous batch of yoghurt makes 7 new pots of yoghurt.

Back
Top Bottom